“Low Key, Great View, Decent Food”
Review of Ristorante Venus

Ristorante Venus
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2013

After our food orgy at the Villa Crespi's 2 star restaurant from the night before, this pizza joint in the center of town was just what we needed. Yes, we ordered pizzas even though we know that Italian food is much more than just pizza. The menu was chock-full of interesting topping combinations and the results were tasty. Plus, the staff was accustomed to dealing with tourists from all over and spoke the appropriate language in a pleasant and engaging manner. Interesting to us, was the fact that the restaurant featured quality wines from all over Italy to accompany their pies and downplayed the beer option. A nice feature. And we very much enjoyed our view of the island and the approaching thunder storm over the mountains from the covered terrace as we awaited our food. As we walked back through the cobble-stoned, car-free streets to the remote parking lot, we all agreed this was a worthwhile and enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

This town is like a Disney creation or a Hollywood film set. There was nowhere reasonable unless you were happy with pizza slices from the bakery. There is a very good wine bar named 'Re Di Coppe' in the main street approaching the square. I highly recommend it but it's not listed on TA and it only serves nibbles. Lacking inspiration from any other restaurant we chose to eat in a beautiful location. A balcony table of the Ristorante Venus seemed about to become vacant, I noticed. My wife would love it. Overlooking the tiny island off the bay with its nunnery and little launches full of detestable monied tourists (like us) going back and forth. I secured it and we sat down. It was a narrow balcony but a great view. A rather serious lady brought the menus and rushed on to deal with other punters. It was expensive of course, but I expected that. I even suspected we might be asked to pay a premium to sit here, but it seemed not. I relaxed a little. I looked at what others were eating. It looked very good. It was only lunch so I ordered a calzone farci. I was not going to push the boat out. Wine would be an arm and a leg anyway, I said to myself. I checked. Not too bad. My wife ordered some kind of salad and something else I don't remember, but it was all good. My calzone was delicious.

All in all, if you can get a nice seat, this is probably no more expensive than the dowdier places full of coach party chavs (on the day we were there - English too I'm afraid). I prefered the old fashioned elegance of Stresa to Orta. Orta was another Portofino (which I managed to avoid). But then I'm probably just a grumpy old fart.

If you're a grumpy old fart too, I suggest you send your family or partner on the inevitable boat trip to the island, then to eat in Ristorante Venus, while you sit and try well advised local wines in the very untouristy Re Di Coppe wine bar opposite.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We saw this restaurant during a walk around town; it's hard to miss, right on the main square with a picture-perfect setting on the shores of the lake, looking out across to the island. "Tourist trap" we thought, "the prices will be high and the food only average".

So we'd planned to eat at another restaurant for our first night in Orta San Giulio, but as it happened it was closed that night. So we ended up at Ristorante Venus anyway, and managed to score ourselves a table right on the lake's edge. What a perfect setting for an evening meal, looking over the water to the island as the sun slowly sets and the lights on the island make it even more magical. Definitely a beautiful spot. But what about the food and service?

So we were very pleasantly surprised; despite our low expectations we found both the service and the food very good. Even the prices were not unreasonable, especially compared with some of the other places in town. We had a couple of drinks, one main course dish each and a coffee - all for 48 euros. The waitress was very accommodating and we almost felt like we should apologise for having had such low expectations of the place.

We lingered over coffee as the lights on the island became brighter, and the ducks on the lakeside finally decided to head to their roosts for the night. In the end we were glad that the other restaurant (which had only indoor seating) was closed that day.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We spent at least one meal a day at Restaurant Venus during our stay in Orta. The staff are all lovely and very accommodating. At times we were in a large group and they did their best to fit us all in together. The day of our wedding the restaurant provided drinks and nibbles to our guests whilst we were having photos taken. We didn’t pay upfront for this but they were very trusting and let us pay a few days later. I had to actually go in and remind them, they are so laid back.

The food is very reasonably priced, the drinks are a bit more but very nice. The location is amazing, you can’t really get any better in Orta. I will go back to this place every time I visit Orta and see the lovely staff, drink the cocktails and eat the amazing Pizzas!

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

after our first disappointing dinner at another restaurant, we came across this lakeside place. the starters were wonderful (great beef tartar), the primi piatti very nice and the fish extremely well seasoned and prepared. we were lucky to get a lakeside table which allowed a magnificent view. the only small remark for improvement - when cleaning cork off the bottle the waitress might not want to just wipe her hand over the spout next time. apart from that - simply great.