Reading the wonderful reviews of The Villa Crispi I had no doubt this was the right choice for our 4 day visit to Lake Orta . The villa is magical and first impressions were very favorable despite arriving in the rain. The Reception staff were excellent and immediately made us feel welcome. After a sandwich we were shown to our room. It was, what we have come to expect from Relais Chateau, very well furnished, but there was no view of the lake from the room. The room description said “partial view” it would be better described as “obstructed view” True a part of the lake could be seen if you peered over the enclosed balcony, but if you sat in the balcony you felt very enclosed with no views at all. The bed was raised but still no view of the lake and a large step made nocturnal visits to the loo a bit precarious. I thought about requesting a change but reading the description of the garden rooms they had no balcony and no bath so we decided to stay put. The breakfasts are outstanding and need time to fully enjoy and relax. The situation of the hotel is good for vehicle access but no direct access to the lake. A private beach is mentioned in their hotel guide but this belongs to another hotel. With no swimming pool and no direct lakeside access a swim involves a 10 minute walk to a small public beach.
The restaurant was going to be one of the highlights of our stays and again the reviews the Villa Crespi has received in this respect heightened our expectations, but, regrettably, it fell a little short of these. A fuller explanation can be found under restaurant reviews for Orta
We loved our 4 day stay in Orta and the Villa Crespi is certainly a magical place, it just did not live up to our expectations, based on the reviews and star rating. It is difficult to criticise or to make a complaint because the hotel has been “over praised “. I have rated the Villa Crespi as "Very Good" because it would be unfair to call it "Average" but for us it was little short of "Excellent"
Would we visit Lake Orta again, definitely. Would we stay at the Villa Crespi, probably not
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa Crespi, a dream location set in the gorgeous countryside around Lake Orta, is in not far from Milan's international Malpensa airport. This fairy-tale palace and its Moorish architecture are a unique experience with the magical atmosphere of the Thousand and One Nights and a journey through the flavours of the two Michelin Star Chef-Patron Antonino Cannavacciuolo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, World Independent Hotel Promotion, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa Crespi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Crespi Hotel Orta San Giulio
- Villa Crespi Italy/Orta San Giulio