“1970's decor, with a nice view”
Review of Hotel La Bussola

Hotel La Bussola
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Orta San Giulio
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel La Bussola.
The rating system above really needs a 3.5 star button ( good ), because this hotel was rated above average, because of its location, views, friendliness and cleanliness, but probably no longer rates a "very good", which it would have warranted in the 1980's.
The room was large, and clean and comfortable.
The décor was functional, but appeared to be original from a fitout in the 70's.
The staff were friendly, and the service was good, but the hotel has a general atmosphere
of being in need of a makeover.
Its located on the edge of town, and its elevated position gives it nice views over the lake
and island. Orta San Giulio is a charming town to visit, and the lake and region are beautiful and interesting.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dale S

Reviewed 16 June 2013

The hotel is located at walking distance from the town center and it has its own parking (which here is a great asset).
The structure looks renewed in recent times, it's clean and well equipped. The view from the terrace is beautiful, the pool is ok and there is some garden around. We had a lake view room, with a small balcony, which we found nice and comfortable. The bathroom is big and well equipped.
It's not a memorable hotel, but a very good and honest 3 starts, perfectly located.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lilliputMilan
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I'm not sure why there are negative reviews about the staff at this hotel. We arrived after lunch, without a booking and asked to look at a room before we decided to stay. We were shown a couple of rooms from which to choose and found the manager/owner to be very friendly and helpful. An excellent suggestion was made about visiting the church on the island (Isola San Giulio) for a special Palm Sunday mass at which the nuns would be singing. This proved to be a highlight of our visit on an otherwise rainy, miserable and cold weekend. Even though we had initially said that we would stay for three nights, given the poor weather we decided to stay for two. This was not a problem either. In fact, we found the staff to be pleasant and very helpful on all counts. I would stay here again. It is not too far from the Piazza, perhaps a ten minute walk. The walk back is uphill, but I am not super fit and did not find it difficult - you might if you were elderly. The view from our room was perfect.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bambi53
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My sister and I spent our last night here while on a Rick Steves Tour. No fault ETBD!
The rooms were nice and location great but seriously the owner and staff were not at all welcoming and seemingly unhappy to accomodate our needs. As a business owner myself I depend on my customers and they are my #1 priority. I do everything to make them return customers. I don't know what the issue was with the owner and staff but I would not return there since I found the owner to be rude and condescending to me and the staff did not provide even adequate service without being prompted to do so.
Considering the amount of money brought to this hotel from our tour group I would have expected far more. Didn't leave me with a good impression unlike the other lovely family run hotels we stayed in while on our tour.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank makingchoices
Reviewed 21 September 2012

A family run hotel in a delightful position overlooking the lake. Staff are eager to please and have a ready smile. Breakfast is good with plenty of choice and it is difficult to fault the evening meal.if you decide to eat in.

The room was just satisfactory with an abundance of plug sockets. And it is possible to receive BBC 1 on the TV. The temperatures were still high when we were there and an efficient looking air-conditioning system, had it been switched on, would have been appreciated.

The town is some ten minutes walk away down a steep hill, OK down but the return can be a drag. For the less able a regular bus service is available from outside the hotel and seems to run quite regularly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susilew
Reviewed 3 September 2012

the family is a little uptight and not what I've had experienced in the past when staying at family owned hotels in Italy. Don't get me wrong they were pleasant and helpful, but not even a smile and body language speaks ton. It could have been that they were stressed catering for to a large wedding party while I was there, which party until the wee hours of the morning. My room was in the side building and the room and bathroom were clean and a good size.
Their prices for wifi are utterly ridiculous as they charge you by the 15, 30 min etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank PWRBECKS
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Clean, roomy, more than adequate A/C, and a wonderful terrace for breakfast We totally agree with the positive reviews of this nice place. And, reasonably priced.

The entire place is beautiful, and well-situated, with a swimming pool.

Room Tip: Pay a few Euro more for a lake view room . . . discounts available for Rick Steves' readers.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends