“Very good choice for the price”

Hotel Principi D'Acaja
Ranked #65 of 130 Hotels in Turin
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Firstly this hotel is a little way out of the main centre of Turin, but in a clean and nice area of the city

Walking it takes you about 15-20 minutes to get to the main square

Quite a beautiful old (but not worn out) art nouveau styling's

My room was on the ground floor, single room with bathroom/shower
Good air-con and a spacious room
The included breakfast was basic but more than enough
Friendly staff, spoke good English and happy to help out

I was looking for a hotel of very good value with car parking that was close (walking distance) to the city centre.
This was my second time in Turin and I would choose this hotel again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JamesCoote

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed for two nights with our three children. The place is really beautiful, a palace built for a prince in the early 1900s. Breakfast was very good, all the people kind and helpful. The only problem we had was that the air conditioning was not working in the kids' room, so they changed them to another one. I don't suppose it would normally be a problem, but those days were particularly hot. The hotel is very well located, we could take the subway to the old town and then we took it to the train station. Very large, comfortable rooms. I'm glad we stayed there and would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AnitaPaula
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I booked two rooms one single for myself and a twin/double for my sons, we went for the football and an extra day to look around the Turin. The hotel was very clean, quiet and close to public transport, very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Fernando the Manager is very helpful with all different requests and gave us some recommendations for sight seeing. The hotel is 2 minutes to a metro station and also close to other bus and tram transports with a 15 minute walk to the town center. The breakfast at the hotel is continental and very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is after a reasonable hotel with good quality. Close to the hotel is an excellent authentic Italian Pizzeria see other reviews and a great bar that does late food called New Castle Bar.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HughL
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I booked this hotel for one night, arriving from Saluzzo, with the goal of not driving too far for the very early morning flight from Turin airport, and yet I wished to see Turin’s center in the evening. The hotel served the purpose quite well, and overall I was pleased with it.

1) I booked “Large room with Art Nouveau furniture”, and indeed the room was very spacious, with high ceilings and stylish furniture. There were many nice touches, like little tablecloths on tables and nightstands, bed mats, beautiful chandelier, window treatments. The whole impression from the room and the hotel overall was surprisingly favorable, it was indeed decorated in Art Nouveau style and the hotel impressed as a place well cared for and well-maintained.
2) In addition to the bedroom, my room had a bay window seating area with a table and sofa, and it was extremely convenient for the computer and other electronics. The Wi-Fi signal was excellent in the room, both my Android phone and the computer worked fine with it. I really liked the comfort of the seating area, full of light, although the chairs were not of leather but of some cheap plastic upholstery.
4) The bed was quite good and comfortable; there were extra blanket and pillows.
5) The shower was very good, the bathroom clean and efficient, although the bathroom heater was not working. I was explained that in May the heating in Turin was off by law.
6) There was a little fridge/minibar in the room, a definite plus.
7) There was an elevator, which is an advantage for luggage, etc.
8) I managed to park right in front of the entrance, this street parking is free.
9) The personnel were friendly; they helped me with my bags and provided a brown-bag breakfast for my early departure.
10) The elegant hotel building and interior, much superior to other buildings in the neighborhood, suggest that in the past it must have been a fashionable district, perhaps it was at the outskirts of Turin, surrounded by greenery.
11) The drive to the airport was about 30 minutes at 7 am, not too difficult with GPS, although the traffic was intense already.

Disappointments:

1) The reasons why the hotel is reasonably priced considering the very good quality of the building and the rooms are: the outside traffic and a congested neighborhood of no distinction. The traffic was very heavy but after 8 pm it subsides considerably. Since my room was very large and the bed was away from the window, the sleep quality was good.
2) The hotel is somewhat away from the city center, it took 20 minutes by car to get to Piazza San Carlo after 8 pm, although it is not because of the great distance from the hotel to the center; it is due to the fact that traffic in Turin is heavy.
3) There was no radiator heating available in May, per portiere suggestion I tried the wall-mounted A/C, but it was too noisy to use.

Overall the hotel is a reasonable place to stay at its rate, quite elegant inside and out. I like places that have personality and which are built and run on a humane scale, and this hotel turned out to be like that, not like many faceless establishments that abound these days. It is certainly not a princely residence anymore, unless the Prince is a Pauper.

I would recommend this hotel as a good value place for one night; although on my next 3-days voyage to Turin I preferred to stay in a hotel closer to the center (Best Western Hotel Crimea) and in a quieter yet smaller room, even though it was considerably more expensive.

The relatively remote location of Principi D'Acaja makes it an unsuitable place to see the cultural sites of Turin, its main advantage being the closer proximity to the airport than any centrally located hotel.

Overall the hotel scene in Turin is rather disappointing for the price/quality ratio.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the road are quieter, although the best room "Large room with Art Nouvea...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Gradiva
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This was a little bit of a get what you pay for hotel. We had a little trouble finding it, mainly due to construction around the train station. It was simple but clean and fine. We were only staying 1 night so it was all we were looking for.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Depemding much on the room you have, your stay may be ok or less ok. The top floor rooms---at least the one I had been offered---are not acceptable, the first floor rooms ok. Breakfast can be skipped without loss. But the staff is very friendly and helpful. All in all, I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Notwithstanding the fact rooms int the hotel may seem very simple, it has many winning points: 1. position almost inside the historical centre of the city, 2. very nice and clean (situated in an old building with marvellous staircases), 3. very good breakfast, 4. VERY HELPFUL and AVAILABLE staff, that helps you with any information you need.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo