“Good in parts” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Turin
Oxford
“Good in parts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

I agree with some of the reviewers about the weirdnesses of this hotel - particularly the masculine and macho decor as you enter, the first and second class style breakfast arrangements, the navigation. I was at the hotel for work and the service for the meeting rooms was a bit patchy though the staff meant well, they were a bit slow to deliver. Our meeting room was bizarrely dark - harldy any lighting at all. But my room was very nice and nicely illuminated, although as another reviewer mentioned - trying to get the lights to turn off and on, to make the curtains go back and forth etc was challenging.
However, I want to give the hotel staff top marks for compassionate and caring service. After I had checked out, I got the most terrible migraine, and had to go back to the hotel at about 1.00 in the afternoon. (I had a flight in the evening) in despair because I couldn't be out and about any more, feeling so ill. The conference I was at was winding down so my 'group. was still using the hotel, but even so I think the young staff were great with me. When I told reception how ill I was feeling and asked for a room - they contacted housekeeping and said I could go back to my old room as it hadn't been cleaned yet. While they were sorting this out, they sat me down and asked if I needed anything. They were really really nice and showed their professionalism at that point., Never have I been happier to see a hotel room again - and I closed the curtains, and lay down for several hours. The staff continued to treat me with great kindness when I emerged. still feeling pretty bad, and ordered a snack at the bar to try and re-humanise before my journey home. So many thanks to the Palace staff - a lot of hotels would not have been so nice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel with several colleagues for a convention.
Most rooms had problems. Some did not have TV, other were flooded.

Then we asked about " Pope Francis" room. We asked to which charity exactly the money would go to and we had doggy answers like: "To the poor children of Argentina". We insisted on having a more accurate answer but did not get anywhere.

Very disappointing indeed!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Arbolitos
White Heath, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

To start off, I can say that the Golden Palace is not quite like any other hotel we've stayed in. But there are different sides to the experience of what I call the "Hotel Zork" for people who are old enough to have played the old text computer game.
This property was done over in what was obviously an attempt at a 5-star hotel, in time for the 2006 Winter Olympics...but the results were a bit strange. The lobby, lounges, and restaurants on the ground floor are all very elegant, but in finding one's room, particularly if, as we were, one is installed in "Golden Two" may require a detailed map, or a trail of breadcrumbs to find the lobby again. And don't think that the elevators in "Golden Two" will somehow lead back to the lobby. Instead, they will lead to a series of dead ends or "FIRE EXIT ONLY" doors, or out into courtyards that are quite as securely gated and locked as any penitentiary.
The room was nice enough, if a bit small for a "superior" room (to which we were upgraded for free), and had a good queen bed and an elaborate set of controls for lights and window curtains.
The bathroom was furnished with top-end fixtures, with amenities to match, but is a rather sad case, as the room itself was too cramped to fit all these items in. Dropping the bidet might have helped, but then these things are expected in a 4-star European hotel. In this case, I think the guest might have expected another few square meters of floor space.
A word about the breakfast. Breakfast in a hotel at these rates should be included in the room rate, and EVERY other hotel we've stayed in in Europe has been this way. Instead, a continental breakfast was provided for 5 Euro a person, and the room next door had an "International" buffet (similar to the "American" breakfast found at many hotels), but at 25 Euro per person! At this egregious price, although we prefer something hot for breakfast, we contented ourselves with the colazione Italiano for 5 Euro.
The free wi-fi is great, but we had several outages during our 4-night stay, and it requires repeated logins, minimum of one per day.
In summary, our experience was comfortable, but on the whole more of a three than a four-star (let alone five!). I'm not going to complain to the management, but on the other hand, we probably wouldn't stay here again if we came back to Torino.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rico567
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

The hotel does not deserve its stars at all.

Internal design is gorgeous, but that's the only positive note.

For the rest I met: inadequate personnel (didn't seem particularly experienced, almost rude, not responsive at all), trouble with booking (rarely received reply to phone calls or emails), small rooms (with only one socket, far away from the bed).

Would not go back or suggest the hotel to friends.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank martina_yea
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I've been to this hotel with my boyfriend, thanks to a web special offer. The staff is very nice and well-trained, but the building is somehow gloomy. Our room was very nice, though. The bed was absolutely comfortable and we had a high quality sleep. Bathroom with high standards too. We noticed little details which are generally discouraging for a 5 stars hotel, such as: in the spa the sauna's temperature wasn't enough high; the steambath was shut down; and you have to walk a lot to reach rooms in the block 2, plus breakfast is different according to how much you pay for it, and it's not very elegant to "mark" people like 1st class guests/2nd class guests. The hotel position is quite central.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed for two nights in the Golden Palace Hotel in early November 2013. The staff were very helpful, the room was very nice, although a little on the small side, was very well equiped and nicely furnished.

The hotel is in a great location, that is very easy to walk to most of the city centre and attractions from. It is also located quite close (5 minutes walk) from one of the metro stations, making this a great base for a city break.

Parking is quite pricey, but having looked at other hotels, this is comparable. Also, the Spa apparently wasn't included in our stay, although no mention of this was made when booking, so if in doubt, call the hotel first too check.

Overall a good base for a great weekend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple