“Clean, great location and helpful, friendly staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Crystal Palace Hotel

BEST WESTERN Crystal Palace Hotel
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Turin
Brighton
“Clean, great location and helpful, friendly staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed here for one night at the weekend. The hotel is located directly opposite Porta Nuova railway station, close to the Sadem airport shuttle bus stop and to one of the hop on City Sightseeing bus stops. I arrived at just after 10 in the morning and a friendly, English speaking, receptionist ensured that my room was ready for me within twenty minutes. He also provided me with three different wi-fi passwords for my separate devices. The room itself was very clean. It was not huge but was comfortably spacious. I loved the windows that opened on to the bustling street below. I had them open all night, as I like fresh air. It was a little noisy with the sound of people enjoying a Saturday night but I enjoyed hearing this sound of the city. There was little traffic noise. Some reviewers have mentioned that they were concerned about the type of person they saw hanging around on the street outside the hotel. I saw interesting and diverse groups of people, as one would expect near a city railway station. I am a sole female traveller and felt perfectly safe.

I chose not to have breakfast. As I was so exhausted in the evening, I ordered room service for my evening meal. It wasn't wonderful but it was good value and the menu had explained that the pasta sauce was frozen. I knew the hotel did not have a restaurant and could easily have found good food nearby had I not felt so lazy.

The bed was very comfortable, there was a great selection of toiletries and the hotel's main staircase is beautiful. The hotel stored my case for me after checkout where I again, received a friendly service. I would stay here again. My only problem was that I could not get the air-con to work but I did not bother to contact reception about this so it is possible that there was a simple solution to this.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at BEST WESTERN Crystal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Madame,
we thank you for the time spent for your lovely review.
We are glad to see that our efforts are appreciated by our guests.
We hope to have you again our guest during your next travel in Turin, in the meanwhile please accept our best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

The Crystal Palace is across the road from Turin's main rail station, close to tram, metro and bus stops as well as to the historic beautiful city centre.
The hotel is housed within in a traditional Italian styled building which has been sympathetically restored evoking an Italian ambience.
Everything is clean, tidy and well looked after.The staff are helpful, friendly and kindly..I must mention smiling Andrew in the delightful breakfast room, Fransesca and Stephanie the Manager. Stephanie even gave me advice in how to use the tram, bus, metro...including where and how to buy tickets, how to use them, getting on /off, as well as a basic language lesson. This all helped me to really feel at ease and enjoy exploring this charming city which has so many cultural sites.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at BEST WESTERN Crystal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you found our staff lovely and friendly. Our aim is to always ensure our guests feel as welcome and as comfortable as possible. Once again thank you for such a nice review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!
All the staff sends you best regards.
Winchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

The Website offered the Torino Bar and Restaurant but on arrival, I was informed that this 4 star hotel has no restaurant.. A four star hotel must have a restaurant in the vast majority of civilised European countries. This hotel has no eating facility except for breakfast. The response to my complaint was that under a Piedmont regulation it is not necessary to have a restaurant in a four star hotel. How can Accor expect to be taken seriously as an international group if it hides behind such an excuse rather than providing a level of service that travellers are entitled to expect. I refused to stay but have been denied a refund on my prepayment.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at BEST WESTERN Crystal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest,
first of all let me thank you for the time spent in reviewing our hotel.
Further to your comment I am sorry to read your complaint about the fact that our hotel did not have a restaurant, nevertheless I would like to underline some points as already done in reply to your e-mails in the past:
In the hotel’s website it is well specified that the hotel only disposes of a bar and that it doesn’t have any restaurant, as indicated in the "Dining and Bars" section of the website. Moreover at the check-in you have been informed that some cold dishes were available at the bar, nevertheless you chose to leave the hotel.
I confirm that for our regional law a four stars hotel is not obliged to have restaurant, no one is hiding behind any excuse, this is just a fact.
For these reasons we have not answered positively to your request of refund.
Thank you again for taking the time for your review. We look forward to better meeting your expectations upon your next stay.
Best regards
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

The location is very central, just next door from the central station, but at night looks very creepy and did not feel safe with all weird people around.

The rooms had a smell of smoke, is it legal?

The staircase is indeed incredible: huge like in a museum.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at BEST WESTERN Crystal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback.
I am sorry to see that you felt unsafe outside of the hotel, that the sorroundings seemed creepy, but as you said the hotel is central and located next to the main train station.You will agree with me that in most of the cities the area round the train station is plenty of people arriving from different places and sometimes the appereance scares us more than it should.
Some of our rooms are smoking ones and even if our housemaids do their best to clean and air the room in those rooms happens that a little smell remains the same.
In thanking you again for your kind review and hoping to have you here for your next stay in Turin I wish you a good day and send you my best regards.
Torino
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

I popped into this hotel late this morning with the intention of obtaining information on the availability of rooms in October during the Salone del Gusto. The only person at the reception, a many wearing glasses brushed me off with a cold answer of ''you have to email us to find out'' after shoving me the hotel business card and continued 'working' on the computer. I was rather shocked at his surprise as I thought it was something he could have simply checked on the computer and let me know straight away and surely unnecessary for a potential guest (or in my case, someone who actually wants to book 7 double rooms) to have to go home and write an email.

So even though I did not and I am definitely not going to book 7 rooms with them during the Salone, I thought I would write this review of the reception I got.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank afficionada
Stefania U, Responsabile reception at BEST WESTERN Crystal Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guest,
first of all let me thank you for having taken the time to write your opinion on this website.
I express my apologies for what happened but let me tell that it is not our policy to brush off guests without even give any availability or price.
I will personally check with my team what could have been the difficulty in managing your request and invite you to come again to our hotel and see that we can grant a better service than the one you experienced.
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

this hotel offers everything you expect from a 4-star hotel, but not more. it is situated centrally but not picturesque due to the closeness of the train-station. rooms are big and clean, the staff is friendly, furniture and be are of good quality and in good shape, however overall impression of the room is quite spartan. in essence: not the hotel for a romantic and luxurious weekend but definitely good value for money and mercure quality guaranteed

Room Tip: rooms facing the front have mountain an station view, noise included; rooms on the side have a small...