“A heavenly oasis”

Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Bolzano
London, United Kingdom
“A heavenly oasis”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I last stayed at the Laurin in 2005, and I was delighted that it was just as charming on my return in 2011.
The hotel is in a beautiful building, very stately yet welcoming.
I had booked in advance, and had specified room 522 with the roof terrace, and everything was all arranged correctly so there were no issues on check in.
The room was clean, comfortable and well equipped, with working air conditioning.
The bar was excellent, the covered restaurant in the garden had beautifully prepared and designed food as well as excellent local wine. The hotel gardens are a true delight, and are it was incredibly relaxing to spend time in them in the sun, and the pool was also very welcome as relief from the hot weather.
The breakfast was good, and it was great to be able to sit out on the terrace in the sunshine.
We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: For panoramic views, room 522 has a roof terrace
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ph2769

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I stayed here on a Saturday night during a weekend visit to Bolzano. I got an OK price for the room on the internet. The public rooms are elegant and the garden is lovely. The reception staff are very pleasant and helpful. My bedroom was pleasant and and adequate for my needs, as was the bathroom. The room was quiet and although it overlooked the street, car park (and hills) I didn't notice any noise at all. The breakfast buffet was excellent in terms of quality and choice and could be taken outside. Again the serving staff were very pleasant and helpful. OK the stairway carpet was a little worn and could do with replacement, but this is a minor quibble. I was pleased with my experience and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We stayed for a week in the Parkhotel Laurin, having booked over the Internet. Our room was average, and as an earlier reviewer said, internet access was very restricted, and parking was across the room and an expensive surprise. On the other hand, the grounds of the hotel are an oasis in the middle of this busy little town, a lovely green tree-filled area with an outdoor pool and a shaded bar area. Breakfast was excellent and could be eaten on the terrace overlooking the street full of the people of Bolzano going about their daily business - perfect for making you feel that you are on holiday. Overall a nice hotel but hard to know if it justified it's price

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Enjoy-the-Laurin, General Manager at Parkhotel Laurin, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Dear guest,
Thank You for adressing the problem of internet usage in our hotel. Indeed, we did receive several comments regarding this issue. At the end we have decided as follows: a few months ago we installed a new wi-fi net (in addition to the existing adsl net), and from January 2012 on Internet usage will be completely free for all hotelguests. Of course, we will continue to guarantee a perfect service, with a functioning and speedy net, as before.
I would like to point out that Parking across the street is not under our management. It´s called Laurin Parking because it´s located on Laurin street, and not due to the fact that our Hotel has the same name... Anyways, parking in Bolzano is, unfortunately, rather expensive and the reduced rate we offer to our guests is the best we can do of this situation.
Thank you for compliments on our service. I will forward them to my staff. Yours, Roland Margesin
Chicago
Reviewed 2 February 2011

I arrived after a long travel journey of planes and a train to find a nice small lobby area with a bench and a wifi hot spot and a very nice outdoor area for drinks and eating. However, my room was very small and plain. As a result, I felt the price I paid was high. One night I returned late and found a string instrument group was finishing Vivaldi's Four Season's. There was a very good breakfast in a nice dining room. Unfortunately, one of the staff had a cough and she coughed into her bare hands and then proceeded to pack up some to go food for me. So while she was helpful, she really should have excused herself to wash her hands and not touch the food. I would stay here again but not until I try a different hotel first.

• Stayed August 2010
Dear sir, I read Your comment and, in detail, that "...one of the staff had a cough and she coughed into her bare hands and then proceeded to pack up some to go food for me. So while she was helpful, she really should have excused herself to wash her hands and not touch the food.". This is absolutely unacceptable, and - honestly - this is the first time I hear (or see) anything like this. I am sorry that it happened in our hotel. I have already adressed this incidence to our head waiter who cleared this issue one-by-one with our personnel. I can assure You that our property follows HACCP standards at the highest level. Cleanliness and hygiene are fundamental for our business, and we are aware of this. I am confident that such a situation will not repeat. Please, apologize for this faux-pas.Yours, sincerely, Roland Margesin
Palo Alto
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Hotel Laurin, Bolzano
The Laurin is probably the best-known hotel in Bolzano, the capital of the Alto Adige. It’s a large, old-fashioned hotel owned by the same family for one hundred years. We booked a junior suite over the Internet. Our arrival was a bit disappointing – the only parking lot is a public lot across the street and no help was available for our luggage. The entrance and lobby are a bit run down and stink of smoke from the bar. I was prepared to dislike our room based on the shabby, institutional corridors but the suite was quite nice, with the bedroom in a cupola with plenty of light overlooking the hotel’s private garden, a separate sitting room, and a large modern bathroom.

The restaurant in the hotel was good and an offered a menu loaded with local specialties and a few ‘international’ offerings. The breakfast was very good, with a nice array of breads, eggs, cheeses, meats, juices, etc.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Podsnap
Scotland
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I had a pleasant stay in this hotel. The service was good, the staff were helpful and the room was very large and bright. It was pricey though and then they charged extra for internet which was available only wired.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
San Diego
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Stayed two nights and got good price on-line. The hotel building is a classic baroque with a European interior. A beautiful bar and restaurant and amazing garden area with sculpture art, bars, cafes, fountains and rose gardens. The room is actually more modern art deco. Each room has unique art with a description of the art and artist.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business