“A week of beauty” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Merano
rome
“A week of beauty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

The Castel Rundegg compound is very attractive for the location and treatments provided but........... there is not a swimming pool open air and during summertime .............

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank zetarome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

Excellent service, beautiful room with alpine views, spa was fantastic as well as the hotel food. staff was extremely helpful and courteous.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank cbm22
Tuscany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

I have stayed at many spas over the years and this was by far the best experience I have had. I chose the "Love in the castle" package. The spa treatments were absolutely top shelf. The massage was the most therapeutic experience I have had at a spa so I was really impressed. The food was delectable and dining was an absolute pleasure. Every course at dinner was equisitely prepared fare from the region.

The service was also wonderful. Cristina from the restaurant staff was not only friendly and funny but always attentive. She made dinner such a joyful experience.

I found the room to be tastefully decorated and what you would expect from an old castle. The front desk staff was also lovely. They were always willing to be of assistance with information and patient with us forgetting our keys. They were not only helpful but truly personable.

The spa was sparkling clean which isn't always the case especially with older properties. The property is maintained to the highest standard. The garden in the rear is quite beautiful and I would have loved to have seen in it in the summer.

The only recommendation I would make is that I think they should place a bottle of water in your room. They are offered gratis in the spa. On the first night, I took a shower and the water was a bit rusty for the first few minutes but this was resolved quickly by allowing it to run for a few minutes. I live in Italy so wasn't put off by this especially in a 12th century castle.

Merano was a brief walk down the hill and typical of an old spa town. It was charming and quaint.

We also visited the museum in Bolzano and viewed the iceman exhibition which was quite interesting.

My friend went skiing for the day and it wasn't far from the hotel as was specified.

As far as the negative review I read, I made sure I didn't use the telephone so I didn't have any issues with the hotel upon check-out. I confirmed every aspect of our stay prior to booking right down to the taxes. Our bill was true to the quote we were sent but you are charged for beverages. We paid for wine, cappucino's and water I took from the minibar.

I would highly recommend this spa for an overall wonderful experience you won't forget. It was luxurious but in an understated way that was pleasant. It was a bit pricey for the weekend but I thought well worth it considering what we received. Our package included half board, facial, massage and peeling for two. In addition, we received welcome flowers and a bottle of prosecco with a fruit basket.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank AmericanaToscana
Phoenix
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2006

Very nice hotel and spa, although the spa had strange hours. But will never go back and recommend anyone who stays here, watch out for the big rip-off at check out. Do not charge anything to your room, do not use the phone, do not even pick it up... Our phone bill was higher than our room rate at check out. Called a Toll-Free (800) Milan, Italy Intel Business Number and was charged nearly $300.00 for an hour converstaion. Argued to no avail, even tried to argue the point with my Credit Card company when i got the bill but that was no use either. The receptionist said there are no such thing as Toll-Free numbers in Italy. I said, since when, i have travelled to Italy many times and called the corporate office in Milan toll-free. This type of thing can still happend in Italy... so you just have to be careful, sad but reality. Avoid this hotel...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Telephone Bill
  • Tips/Secrets — Watch out and do not use any services at the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank fletch3742