“Tourists beware”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stopped in Trent on our way back into Germany. We've lived in Europe for over a year so we know what to expect from the majority of European restaurants. We decided to eat here based on a listing in a travel book. On arrival we waited in the foyer patiently for 15-20 minutes, then the host came by and asked how many in our party. After I told him 4 he briefly told us in Italian that there were no available tables. After getting his attention before he was able to turn around and asking if it was possible to wait for a table, it was a simple no and he was on his way. We went to the small restaurant across the street and had an excellent lunch before touring the nearby castle. Honestly, I would have liked to have written a different review, with a rating of the food but am unable to due to my experience. But hey, honestly, the place was bustling so a single group of tourists turned away is not going to put a dent in there business profit. I just wish the situation was handled differently by the host. Maybe it's partly my fault for not having reservations but the menu is posted on a board, streetside. Night and day with the restaurant across the street. Trust me.

6  Thank Vincent P

Reviewed 16 August 2012

As part of the restaurant is beautiful!! and the terrasse is the place to be in the restaurant..
We eat very well and tue service is good too..
Just take the wine of the house and you will be glad.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

The best rule of thumb about Italian cuisine is that you very rarely get a bad food in an Italian restaurant and that good rule did not change yesterday. We arrived late to Trento after a speedy drive from Munich airport. We were told at our hotel that very few places were open because of the holiday today in Trento (they are celebrating the day of the city saint of Trento) so we just went walking downtown in a very fine evening summer breeze. And we did not find many places but after some walking we saw a light (like in the fairy tales) a weak light like a lamppost on a very ordinary house and bingo, it was a welcoming door with candles and a long alley inside a tunnel, at the end of the tunnel a glass door open to visitors and we were greeted a t the front with a friendly smile. We like d the atmosphere instantly and ordered a table for two. Inside was a garden with good design, not expensive but elegant and Japanese goldfish in the pond and if you sit beside the pond at the nearest table you can actually feed the fish with crumbs from your table... The service was excellent throughout, the food was ordinary Italian, good gnochi and local fish, trout with steamed vegetables, very healthy food and good red housewine. The price in total was about 50 EUROS for two. I recommend this place easily especially for couples needing some romance.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

On a cold January evening my wife and I were looking forward to a warm and friendly local restaurant with good freshly cooked food. Certainly we were the only tourists present, with barely a few other tables occupied. The setting was impressive, downstairs in a vauted cellar.
My wife did enjoy her pasta dish and there the compliments must end. Our main course was advertised as roast suckling pig. We each received what can only be described as two slices of 'boiled ham' served with an indeterminate brown sauce and fried potatoes.The service was efficient but unfriendly.
It is advertised as a music bar, but the piano stayed closed.

1  Thank stillworkingat68
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We wandered into this restaurant on a rainy Sunday evening when many others were closed. The ambiance is lovely: you walk down a hallway that opens into a large garden courtyard where the tables are. It was all covered so protected from the rain. I ordered an antipasta with a fried potato pancake-like piece, lucanica, ham, and cheese. It was DELICIOUS. I was sad that I had to share so much with my daughter. My husband ordered a plate of speck, which was also delicious. They happily prepared our daughter a plate of spaghetti with tomatoes, but it would have been nice if they had made it about a third of the size that they did (which many other restaurants have been happy to do). We followed our antipasti with a pair of primi; I had the canerderlotti, and my husband had some mushroom ravioli. Both were delicious. There were two kinds of canerderlotti: a cheese (grana) version and a spinach version, and I have to say that the spinach one was by far better (though the cheese was good). My husband also had some stewed deer as a secondi, served with polenta, which was very nicely flavored and tender. For dessert we shared a chocolate molten cake, which was so delicious that we devoured it in the blink of an eye.

The only downside was the service; for some reason, it lagged a little in the middle. I wouldn't fault the restaurant too much for this; the setting was lovely to enjoy, and we had glasses of wine the whole time.

1  Thank chr1s77