“Brilliant end of season ski holiday”
Review of Hotel Fosson

Hotel Fosson
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Breuil-Cervinia
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We were a party of solo travellers (from Single Sport) and spent a week at the Hotel Fosson. The atmosphere was that of a small family run B&B, very friendly and warm. I was concerned about the location when viewing on Google maps, but in reality it was very central. I was in room 11, which had a double bed, ensuite bathroom (w/c and batch with overhead shower). It was average size and simple, with plenty of wardrobe space. I should note that this is not the case for all rooms. Being a group of 14, there were varied comments about the size of rooms and facilities.

The stay at the hotel was half-board. Breakfast was a basic deal - tea, coffee, bread rolls, croissant, cereal, yogurt, juice etc., but as mentioned by other reviewers, no fresh fruit, no meats, no cheese, no eggs, no soft bread etc. I was informed by our Italian ski guide (from Alpine Italy) that traditionally Italians do not really eat breakfast, normally a quick coffee and pastry, so this would probably explain the selection. Dinner was a different affair, the restaurant is very good and we were offered a selection of dishes to choose from - a starter, main course and desert. Considering the size of the group and wide range of opinions, we all agreed that the food at dinner was lovely. Wine had to be purchased separately and they had a reasonable selection - the house wine and red are not too bad. The staff (Giovanni and Christina) and the family who run the place are very nice and they did what they could to make our stay as easy as possible.

The hotel does offer free WiFi, but it is not the most reliable or quick. You should note that you can only use the code on one device, if you need to connect another device you need to get a new code from the front desk. There is a sauna and steam bath (which you have to pay extra for), but if you want to use these they need an hours notice to get them prepared.

As I had to hire skis, the hotel recommended Top Ski, which was across the road from the hotel. Being the end of the season they had plenty of selection and Michael (the owner) and his staff were excellent. If you approach Paola (hotel owner), she may be able to provide a discount voucher for Top Ski, giving a day's discount i.e. have your skis for 6 days but pay for 5 - we got this maybe because of the size of the party and it was towards the end of season. Back to the ski shop - good selection of skis and all well maintained - waxed with sharp edges. I changed my skis after the first day from some race skis to some more all round Dynastar rocker skis, with no issues. One thing to note is to check with shop about insurance - we were not offered any and so you will have to check your travel insurance to see if you are covered - I am not for hire equipment. I am sorry to say that I did not get the shop technicians name, but he was really helpful and offered to stitch up my glove when it split and only asked for a blind tip in the tip jar.

The skiing was fantastic, with some lovely snow up high. Over the 6 days of skiing we covered over 191km. An important point to remember is to be on the right side of the mountain at the end of the day to get back to hotel and avoid a long walk from the main bubble car in Cervinia.

All in all a good experience, with skiing in Cervinia and Zermatt. Some where I would definitely go back to

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank J_Patel2411
There are newer reviews for Hotel Fosson

Reviewed 21 April 2013

A family owned and run hotel, great location in the middle of the village within very close proximity to the lifts, very friendly staff, fabulous dinners and a cosy, small hotel feel. Decor and space are better in the more recently refurbished rooms so try and request one of those.

We were a family of 5 and had our 20month old daughter with us and due to the weather being unusually cold and windy (the first week of February) I spent most of the 7 days in the hotel with her, playing in the lobby and chasing her around and got to know it very well.

The owners and hotel staff and went out of their way to accommodate our little one - they were always happy to see her and friendly towards her and amongst other things they prepared special meals for her and made sure her dinner was ready for her to eat early.
The final, thoughtful touch was the day of our departure when Paola and her mother (the owners) gave our little girl a farewell gift - a beautiful toy dog to remind her of their resident hotel dog - a lovely old beagle named Nikki - who along with Zeus the hotel cat - she had so enjoyed playing with during our stay.

On our request they also arranged a lovely birthday cake to be baked by a local baker and delivered to the hotel for us for my father's birthday on the last day of our trip. Finally, I misplaced my sunglasses as were departing the hotel and Paola found them and posted them back to me in South Africa.

All in all a super hotel experience in Cervinia.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We, a party of five plus a baby, spent a week at the Hotel Fosson. The atmosphere is very friendly and the location is great. The rooms are small and simple but very clean. Dinner in the restaurant is very good with a lot of variation in the menu. The breakfast is plain and boring compared to dinner. No eggs, no cheese and white, dry bread. Maybe brioche and coffee is the Italian breakfast way, but it is not solid enough to keep the hunger away until lunch, when you are out skiing. The staff and the family who run the place are very nice and they did a lot to make our stay as easy as possible with the baby (warming milk in the café, preparing baby-food before dinner time etc.) All in all a good experience, but note that the internet is not working very well, the rooms can be cold at night (it is possible to get an extra blanket) and that you also have to pay for the sauna and steambath.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We have just booked here for the new year which will make it our fourth stay at the Fosson. Many reviewers have said this already but just to recap, it's warm, welcoming, clean, friendly, only 150 metres from the new chair up to Plan Torrette which is a great way to miss the queues trying to get up to Plan Maison, the staff are very helpful and the food doesn't leave you wanting. The eleven course meal we had on New Years eve in 2010 being a good case in point. OK it isn't 5 star but it has everything you could want from a Ski hotel. Oh I almost forgot, taking your boots out of a heated boot locker in the morning doesn't go amiss either.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Nice, good location , good family restaurant nice breakfast

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Recently, I spent an evening at the Hotel Fosson. I skied over from Zermatt for the evening. The hotel is in a fantastic location walkong distance to the lifts. The hotel is not overly fancy but is very comfortable and has a warm feeling. The staff were exceptionally nice and made the stay even more enjoyable. The hotel is in the center of town near restaurants and other entertainment. Look forward to staying here agian! Thanks to Paola for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one week and found it to be excellent. The staff were particularly friendly and helpful often displaying a charming sense of quiet good humour. The food was good and my room was always spotlessly clean. My particular room did not have a bath, but did have a good shower, and a balcony with a chair and deckchair, which allowed me to enjoy the late afternoon sunshine.The manager Paula was always helpful, spoke excellent English and was quick to respond to any requests or queries.
As to situation the hotel was literally five minutes walk from the main ski lifts.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends