“Family weeks skiing over New Year”
Review of Hotel Dolonne

Hotel Dolonne
Ranked #35 of 42 Hotels in Courmayeur
Reviewed 22 January 2014

As a member of a party of 13 in three family groups I stayed at this delightful, historic and very good value Hotel over the New Year period. The highlight for me was without doubt the owners and their staff. I have stayed at luxury hotels all over the world and seldom enjoyed such simple courtesy, good manners and enthusiasm from all members of staff from reception to cleaners to the restaurant staff.
It is a magical old building which I hope will never be modernised and is superbly located a few minutes from the main lift on the Dolonne side of the valley. If you require the brights lights of Courmayeur they are a 15 minute brisk walk away. In other words you can have your cake and eat it here! When we did venture into Courmayeur (really good fun and something for everyone) it was always a delight to return to the cultured tranquility of the Hotel Dolonne.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Dolonne

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Start with the positives, it's close to the dolonne chair lift & if you hire from the shop at the top then you don't have to carry all your kit along the cobbled streets. The hotel itself is set in what seems to be the old town and is quite nice.
The hotel itself is a bit dreary and dingy and needs a modernisation as it is very tired. The food is on par with school dinners, basic and very heavy, no salad or greens served on 2 nights, some courses were in edible and we went not the town to eat instead. The rooms were adequate for a boys ski weekend, but again very tired dark, dingy and cold. The common areas were also tired and in need of a makeover. The staff did however allow us to shower and change prior to departure.
Overall a pretty basic place, some way from the main town, depends what you want - but I wouldn't go there again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed at this wonderful 16th century fortified house during ski season back in January. The family who run the place are nothing short of spectacular. I had seen online that the building had some heritage and was very pleased upon arrival that the lovely lady who greeted me gave me a brief tour and description of it's history. She put me in a magnificent room at the top of the building. Out of my window I had the most perfect view of Mont Blanc (which would beat any photo you've seen on a post card). Her son kindly gave me a lift down to the coach station on the day of my departure, who was also a very well mannered and charming chap. This place really made my trip special. I have skied in many resorts in the alps over the years, staying here though was really very unique.

Less than 5 minutes walk from the cable car taking you up to the slopes and only a couple of hundred metres from ski hire.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Nice and clean hotel in a very old stone-built building. Stood 1 night in autumn for a reasonable price.

Could not rate the restaurant as it was closed between the seasons, but within a walking distance of 3 minutes there's a nice restaurant where you can get a very delicious pizza and other meals.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Having stayed here for two nights to give us a rest day on the tour de Mont Blanc, I can heartily recommend this hotel to other walkers. We received a great welcome, there is a place to leave your dirty boots and sticks on arrival, the room & facilities were clean & comfortable. The meals were super & the staff friendly. We were given advice to find a laundry & other facilities. All in all, a great experience. The hotel can be found as you come off the hill before you enter Courmayeur.
Selwyn

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My wife and I walked the Tour du Mont Blanc and stayed here for our rest day in Courmayeur. The hotel is fabulous and has massive character. You are staying in an old fort. We had a lovely room with a view of the alps from our bed. The room and bathroom was quite small but then it is an old building.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The gave us free wi-fi access while we were staying. I can also recommend the house red by the glass!

We ate in the restaurant one night and the meal was good. Breakfasts were also good.

If you are planning to do the TMB, then this is a good option and you'll see some of the old town of Courmayeur.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Didn't stay here, but the meals are great. Very old building that used to occupy a defensive position sometime 400 years ago. I would think invaders must have smelled the food cooking as the entered the village.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends