“Great Ski Trip Hotel”
Review of Hotel Tavernier

Hotel Tavernier
Ranked #32 of 42 Hotels in Courmayeur
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Just stayed there for along weekend skiing and the location for skiing (given that pretty much every body keeps their skis at very low cost at ski storage depots at top of cable car) was great. A 3 min stroll in comfy footwear to/from the lift every day. BEST service and helpfulness from Edith and all staff I have had in many many years. Other big plus was good spacious rooms, important when ski stuff is strewn about the place. Beds a bit on small side though. There is nice bar area with WIFI. TV had BBC news, plus lobby TV had key sports fixtures showing (ie Rugby!). Food was Ok, not the hilite of the hotel, but there are lots of places in town to enjoy. Bars/shops/restaurants in town in the evening are a bit of a walk - a good 10 mins, but a worthwhile trade off for the ski convenience and lovely hotel atmosphere. Superb value for money and I would definitely book again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GuteFahrt22
There are newer reviews for Hotel Tavernier

Reviewed 2 March 2013

This is my seventh visit to this hotel and I have done a lot of travelling and have yet to find a hotel that makes you feel as welcome as here! I have already booked to come back for Xmas (my third) to this family run hotel! Edith the manager at this hotel makes you feel so welcome along with the owners and I regard them as real friends! The food is amazing and if you want a relaxing chilled out atmosphere this is the place for you!
Don't miss out on the spa!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank boywonder999
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel !! We have just returned from a 4 day ski break and would happily return to this hotel. The hotel is very 'olde worlde' with tons of character and is wonderfully warm. It is very welcome and most unusual for a ski hotel to have carpeted floors - it dulls noise from other guests and is much nicer to walk on. I would also recommend the 15 euro three course dinner that the hotel offers. It is lovely food and the meals in town are very expensive in comparison. The breakfast buffet is basic but plentiful and typical of the region. Edith, the Manageress speaks excellent English and is so very accommodating and helpful. The hotel location is perfect for a quick walk to the Dolonne gondola (which is newer and quicker than the main Courmayeur cable car) and its still only a 10 minute walk into town. Aside from the hotel, I would strongly recommend 'Alpineve' for your ski hire at the top of the Dolonne gondola. It maybe slightly more expensive but the quality and service are exceptional. They will change boots and skis if neceaasry and as a smaller business they really take care of their customers. They even carry your skis to the door and help you put your boots on.
Finally, the small negatives: If you have as much snow as we did while we were there, I would probably not use the hotel car park as it is down a steep slope - the free Dolonne car park is only a 3 minute walk from the hotel and is on the level. The hotel does have a wonderful spa ... but... 15 minutes in the sauna will cost 10 euros, 15 minutes in the jacuzzi will cost you 10 euros or 1 hour for all activities is 30 euros. So its very expensive compared with many hotels. This didnt detract from our holiday as we visited the famous 'Pre saint Didier Spa'. Definitely find time to go there. You do have to book but its well worth it. I have been to many spas in my time but this was the most amazing spa I have ever set foot in. Rolling in the snow and then plunging into a hot bubbling outside pool is an experience not to be missed! The spa is like a labyrinth with such a lot to do.
So, a stay at Hotel Tavernier is delightful. It really is a small, comfortable old hotel with lovely staff and comfortable surroundings. I hope some of this information will assist you with your ski holiday booking. All the best, Emma

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ELD22
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed here for a week end March 2012. Took time to find the hotel, the front door leads straight onto foothpath, and there's a side entrance down to another entrance - but taxi couldn't get down there so we had to haul our bags down. Reception is on ground 0 and entrance/exit on level 3.
Rooms spacious and very good value. We had triple room for two of us - bathroom was adequate with shower. Breakfast was good - though attitude of staff could be improved. Major fun trying to get ice one evening for bruised leg.. but we overcame that by buying 2 bottles of water (E2.50 ea) and then got large glass of ice thrown in!
Our bedrooms were on level 0 - same as reception - with patio outside and looking onto river - this is probably frozen over during winter but rather noisy. However, I really enjoyed waking up to the sound of waterfall gushing.
Used the 'pool' twice - E5 per person with no time limit. It is very small - rather like large jacuzzi - but we knew that and given no bath in room we were happy with it.
All in all, I would return. There were families there with children of 5+. I'd say - not so great for smallies (under 5's)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at Hotel Tavernier for a week's skiing holiday. The location was great - 5mins walk from ski hire and the Dolonne cable car, and approx. 10 mins walk from the centre of Courmayeur. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, and happy to accommodate all requests (e.g. vegetarian food at very short notice). Rooms were spacious and nicely furnished. My only criticisms are very trivial - it would have been helpful to have more shelves/drawers rather than hanging space, and some sort of shelf in the shower, and duvets rather than blankets would have made the beds much more comfortable. Breakfast was just fine - juice, tea, coffee, bread, cheese, croissants etc. And the dinners we had were great and very good value. I'd also recommend the pizzeria up the road in Dolonne! The bar was a lovely place for a hot wine after skiing, a beer before dinner or a grappa before bed. All in all, a lovely hotel and good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We spent 4 nights in this hotel. Most important - very convenient location! You can walk in your ski boots to the ski lift, and good thing is that you walk down the street on the way back, when you are tired after skiing all day. City centre and bus stop are also quite close. Room is rather small and simple, and breakfast was more or less OK. I enjoyed jacuzzi / sauna / small pool very much. Officially the cost of water complex usage is 30 EUR per hour, but hotel guests get discount - I paid 15 EUR and was permitted to stay as long as I'd like to. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. You can store your ski in the basement, but better not to leave your boots there - it's very cold downstairs.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2012

the hotel is situated in beautifull village courmayeur .its old, historical, hotel situated just close to the river.it makes a little noice in the rooms when you want to sleep but otherwise its cosy and like a rain. its situated 5 min. to skistation and 10 min to the center on foot. the staff is very friendly, helpfull, nice fireplace in the restaurant . The apartments are spacious, cosy,with wooden furnitures but nothing sophisticated. The room service is very good, its very clean in the hotel, they clean the rooms every day what is really great in 3 stars hotel.
Spa looks quite small like the whole hotel but I wasnt there so I cant judge. The biggest dissapointment was again the food. Breakfast is the same each day: fresh bread,cereals, joghurt, but cheese, ham all the time, almost no fresh fruits and vegatables, poor coffee , dinners are very poor. I will not eat cheese and ham for weeks when I come back home!I dont recomend eating escpecially dinneres there. I found great italian food in the center especially I advice to go to Piacetta bar, pizzeria in the middle of main street Via Roma.
The hotel has almost no parking place and very steep slope to get to the hotel so its better to lice a car on the nearest parking. The menager is great, very helpfull and the whole atmosphere is also very nice.

Room Tip: dont book the rooms close to the street because its noisy
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends