“Great little find on Prato della Valle”

Museo del Precinema
Ranked #29 of 378 things to do in Padua
Derby, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great little find on Prato della Valle”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were the first visitors at 10am, and really enjoyed it, especially the 'hands-on' exhibits, and the camera obscura over the square. We were soon joined by a school party, but would recommend this to anyone with even a vague interest in early photography/cinema.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank foxjenny

Warszawa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“true gem found thanks to TripAdvisor”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

It was my second time in Padua and I wanted to see something different. Thanks to TA, I managed to visit this little museum and was very much impressed with the quality of the collection (so many pre/quasi-cinema machines I never knew existed), the attentiveness of the staff and the pure fun of having the opportunity to experience these antediluvian entertainment. Great, unique and charming - definitely worth your time, esp. if you enjoy off-the-beaten track attractions!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Gosia_Nowicka
San Diego, California
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Tucked away but also in plain sight!”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This is a tiny museum very near the Basilica of St. Anthony. We were the only ones in the 3 room museum on the day that we were there. There are hundreds of examples of pre-cinema visuals and equipment, along with a 20 minute short-film (English subtitles). The film focuses on the history of "magic lanterns" and all the other pieces of equipment that eventually resulted in movie cameras. I did not know what to expect...but my husband, myself, and my pre-teens enjoyed our 1 hour visit, learning how visual images incrementally changed as new technology was developed throughout Europe and the US and presented to eager audiences of all kinds. I had thoughts of my childhood ViewMaster (you put in a disc with transparent film and see photos) as I viewed the 100 year old slides of "A visit to Rome" or "A day at the beach". The colors were so vibrant, some images very realistic, others very romanticized. If you are looking for a quiet activity, with some hands-on opportunities, I highly recommend a visit to this low-key, unique museum (but not for young children, ie under 9 years old)

Visited April 2013
1 Thank SuzieeQQ
Padova
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Hidden gem in the heart of Padova”
Reviewed 10 April 2013

It's maybe easy to find a cinema expert... but what about a pre-cinema expert? Our guide through this small but lovely museum in the city centre of Padova was brilliant, as he explained us all the secrets of cinema before the frères Lumière. My family and I really appreciated it.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Lady_Helena82
Padua, Italy
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Worth a visit! Just near Saint Anthony facing Prato della Valle”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

The museum is located in a corner of Prato della Valle at the beginning of Via Umberto I (before starting the journey that leads to the heart of the squares "Piazze" of Padua), you have to ring the bell and go up to the third floor. There is a small, but really picked museum on the history of small but complex equipment that anticipated the cinema. The ticket costs 3 euro. Follow the beautiful movie about 20 minutes, which introduces the history of the "magic lanterns". If you have children will really enjoy because you can also interact with some machines still working.

Visited December 2012