“Outstanding meal with one of the best dishes I've had all year; excellent service”
Review of Sant'Agnese

Sant'Agnese
Ranked #118 of 1,063 Restaurants in Padua
Price range: US$49 - US$74
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife and I had a terrific meal. For the main course, a seafood casserole with shrimp, sea scallops, fish (monkfish, I think) and clams was very good. Flavorful and finely cooked as was a past with a Mediterranean sauce of ricciola (a swordfish like fish), capers, olives, pine nuts with a tomato base. But, there were three outstanding dishes: 1) a pasta caramelatta which consisted of monkfish, pumpkin, garlic, chili pepper, honey, pecorino and a modest tomato base which overall was one of the best dishes I've had all year as the sweetness of the pumpkin and honey, the saltiness of the pecorino and the spiciness of the chili balanced each other beautifully; 2) a salad with endive, mozzarella di bufalo, raisins, mint, and perhaps a few other things, which also balanced the bitterness of the endive with the sweetness of the raisins and mozzarella; and 3) a dessert with lemon gelato, vodka and prosecco (which provided a great finish). The waiter also brought us lovely gazpacho appetizer and limoncello after we were finished. A wonderful meal.

1  Thank letsmakeadeal

Reviewed 27 April 2013

The restaurant is close to the Porto Molino Gate, on via Saint Agnese. It sits behind a typical Padovan colonnade, with a few tables outside. Inside everything is crisp and clean. Fresh white linen table-cloths, a few small tables and comfortable
ladder backed rush seated chairs. Classy and understated.

There are probably twenty or so covers here. On the evening I went there was a single person serving and two more
in the restaurant. We were the first to arrive and given our choice of table. The service, was attentive, very helpful and completely
unobtrusive.

The menu consists only of fish. There are 5 or 6 choices for each course (appetiser, pasta and main). In each case,
there is a choice of fish and shellfish, either boiled, grilled or deep fried. The main courses are around Eu20, and the antipasti and pasta dishes around Eu15.

The menu obviously changes with what is available at the fish market. Everything is exceptionally fresh. On the evening I went, it was difficult to choose. There were several types of clams, tuna, seabream, langoustines, crab and soft-shell
crab on offer. I had rigatoni with red gurnard, tomato and basil sauce, and my companion had fusilli with razor clam sauce.
In both cases the pasta was cooked al-dente, and the sauce fresh and vibrant. For mains we both had soft-shell
crab with deep fried zucchini sticks. This was sensational and we were lucky to get it (just three portions that evening, many later
to arrive asked, but were disappointed). The season for soft-shell crab is very short,
and ours had just been caught in the lagoon. They were as fresh as can be, crisp on the outside with a soft rich crabby
unctuousness on the inside. Quite outstanding and memorable. All this was washed down with an excellent bottle of sparling wine
for Piedmont which was dry, crisp and champagne yeasty. In addition to the two courses and wine, we were given a complementary gespachio (crisp and palette cleansing) as an amuse bouch and candied nuts in finish.

There were many other things I would liked to have tried on the menu. Fish cooked in a salt crust, tuna carpaccio, seafood casserole, and we didnt even look at the pudding menu.

An outstanding evening meal. The restaurant cool, calm and welcoming. The food exceptional.

2  Thank cvpr
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My wife and I had eaten here 18 months ago. She liked it so much (so did I) that when we came to Bologna she insisted we take an hour train ride up to Padua to eat there again. We went for lunch and were not disappointed. The food and service are still wonderful and well worth the cost. The seafood was fresh and tasty and expertly prepared. Each item complemented the others making for an ourstanding experience.

Next time we are in northern Italy we will have to drop in again!

1  Thank peter t
Reviewed 2 February 2013

What can one say about Sant Agnese, that has ot already been said? We celebrated our Anniversary at this incomparable restaurant on 22 January 2013, the hand of an expert Chef/owner is evident in every dish. Service is crisp and the waiter was knowledgeable about very type of seafood be it shellfish, or fin fish, knew the local wines, and has an outlook on the local area that only someone who was born in Padova could have.
All the dishes that we ordered were outstanding in every way, freshness of the ingredients, masterful preparation that brought out the maximum of flavor, as well as the tasteful presentation, without being overbearing. Since the Chef only has a menu of what are the best ingredients available, I will ot go in to detail of the plates; others have very completely addressed the descriptions of specific dishes.
I can only say that in any city in Europe, Asia, or North America this is a true gem of a restaurant!

Reviewed 28 January 2013

We celebrated our Anniversary at Ristorante Sant Agnese on January 22. From the minute we entered this small very tastefully, yet simply, decorated room; we knew tis would be a wonderful experience. The Chef has a commanding hand on his preparation of local seafood, and the results are outstanding. The waiter was completely knowledgable of the menu, as well as a real encyclopedia of life in Padova, he is a student at the University here. Without trying to use words for our fantastic dinner, I will let the photos do the talking!

1  Thank ospreycove