“Mediocre, but staffed by great people!”
Review of Hotel Al Santo

Hotel Al Santo
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Padua
Como, Italy
“Mediocre, but staffed by great people!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Yes, it is central, tho we found station access tough, especially getting back there eventually had to be by taxi, as trams were too full for our cases. The ride from the station is reasonably priced by Taxi, and there were plenty, but the ride back was trickier till a kind stall holder in the square saw i was getting distressed as our train time came and went and no taxi appeared in the square.
Hotel Staff were lovely and helpful, but the rooms were drab and box like. I found the hotel noisy from within, but i. Realize that was other guests, not the fault of the hotel. Just with wooden floors, every sound echoes, and there were continuous feet traipsing along corridors, and doors banging most of thenight. Shutters on windows helped with outside noise, and air conditioner was wonderful, even my bathroom was perfectly clean and nice. And breakfast in the courtyard was lovely. But overall, padova was a hot hole. Not for me again, there are more charming old cities in italy.

Room Tip: You can try asking for a quiet room, staff is only too happy to try to help, but the hotel itself is...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Aussiejen55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Padova is charming, of that there is no doubt; but this hotel is not in any way an advisable place to stay; outside of it's location, near the large nice public square and local church of note, it's the most depressing place I've ever stayed at. I've stayed at hostels that had more charm and love, for equal, and about that amount and this place was disappointing at any price.

When I arrived, I was in travel clothes (tshirt/shorts, from other hot destination), the desk person looked me up and down (I felt like I was being judged, like a backpacker who was about to wash my underwear in the sink), suffice it to say, she literally laughed at me, and made jokes about what I was wearing and carrying.

My room that I paid about $85 a night for a single, was literally about 8 feet wide, by 10' long with a single size dorm bed. There was an old dusty bedspread in a dark room, and minimal imitation (idea) wood fake furniture, nothing on the walls at all. The bathroom was recently remodeled in a modern style, but crazy small. I'm 6.0' 170lbs (read: thin) and could not get in to the shower without scraping past the awkward doors. Then the shower is roughly 24" x 24", so better hope you don't drop anything, because you have to get out to retrieve it. Anyhow, I immediately asked for another larger room, because I booked a non-refundable fare (mistake), and fortunately the male owner stepped in when i spoke up and gave a slightly larger (also non air conditioned room) to me, which was equally dorm like and charmless. Protip: keep your windows open so it's not 85 degrees in your room at. Ight, but don't forget your earplugs, because here is echoing street noise at all hours but 2am- 6:30 am.

Apparently to save electricity, they leave the lights off in all hallways, all the time. It's dark and nerve racking, and you'll need a cell phone to use your key in the utiliterian dorm style locking mechanism.

Breakfast is provided, and is adequate for the region and town (I've stayed in the city several times before), though largely prepackeged things (apple sauce, yogurt, etc. identical day to day) placed for consumption. Fresh fruit selection was pretty good, and the breakfast patio, to be fair, is quite charming.

If you want an overpriced charmless small dorm room, this may be your next Padova/Padua "hotel", but don't forget to bring som cash for the extra room tax that the charge on the way out (8€ for my 4 nights, not sure how this was calculated). It reminded me of the Simpsons leaving Springfield tax from the filmmaking episode, but I wasn't laughing, I was trying to catch my train out of town and the staff's refusal to take a card on the spot for less that 10€ surprise charge was also lame.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Artistfrombrooklyn
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Location was absolutely perfect and the service superb. We could walk to every major attraction in the small town and were lucky to have adjoining rooms with a terrific view of the cathedral. Check-in and concierge services at this small family-run hotel were among the best I've ever encountered in similar properties and the value is hard to beat. Granted, the shower stalls are small, the decor spartan (but tasteful), and the parking lot is a few blocks away, but these are not unusual features in small hotels in small European towns, and they add charm for the well-heeled traveler. I have no reservations in recommending this hotel and Padova for an amazing taste of historic and contemporary small-town Italy.

Room Tip: Ask for second-floor rooms with a cathedral view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Shivdoc
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

It's a fantastic hotel if you're coming to Padova to see the Basilica.. Just 150 yards or so down the road.

We landed at Marco Polo and took the Sita bus to Padova. After the 45 minute trip we got dumped off at the Autostazione and not knowing where to go next. Finally we found a really helpful person who said they'd take us to the hotel (how lucky was that!). So we jumped on a few trams and finally made it to the hotel. Reason why I'm saying this is because it can be quite hard to find... Well I though it was!

Check in was easy and we were greeted by a really nice gentleman on the desk. He gave us our key and told us where to go.

The rooms are superb value for money. Spacious, comfortable and quiet. The air conditioning was very useful as it does get hot during the day here in Padova.

Overall the hotel is great value for money and well worth coming to especially if you're wanting to see the old town and the Basilica. The hotel staff are fantastic too! Especially the lovely gentlemen on the front desk... He was superb!! Just forgot to get his name :(

Oh, and there's free wifi too!! Just ask the front desk and they give you the code.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank letthelordbewithyou
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We only spent one night here on 5/6/13 and we were sorry we could not stay a bit longer. The hotel is less than a 5 minute walk to Basilica St Anthony and less than 10 minutes to Prato de Valle. The staff were extremely helpful from the minute we arrived to the time we left. The room was spotless, large and comfortable and even though it was facing the street when the shutters were closed it was quiet. The restaurant downstairs was very reasonable and the food was lovely and they gave us some lovely local pastries to try at the end of the meal. Padua is a beautiful city and we will definitely return and stay at Al santo.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank metfraw
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Clean, modern rooms and a welcoming atmosphere awaited us at the end of a day in the road. Antonio is a great host who greats you are a weary traveller but makes sure that you know your are "home". We stayed 2 nights during the week using as a base for our day in Venice. It is a short train ride to the Venice from Padua but the hotel is quite a way away from the station which is built more to the new town.

The Basilica just a few yards from the hotel is WELL WORTH going out of your way to stay here. Actually we found the church more elegant and interesting than the visit to St Marks the day before.

Sculptures and building is extensive you will be very surprised!

There is also a very large park area close by that is decorated with carved statues. Lovely for an evening stroll.

The restaurant at Al Santo was where we ate on two evenings. The pizza's are the best we have had anywhere. The food is very tasty and we sampled many things of the menu.

It is recommended by Rick Steve's and we would whole heatedly agree this was safe and good value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 6009interactive
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The hotel Al Santo is located near the Basilica of Saint Anthony. The quadruple room was clean and warm and comfortable. Breakfast is continental style with good coffee. The hotel staff are very friendly.. even letting us have a very early breakfast on checkout day due to early flight home. You can get the tram to the hotel from the train station easy peasy. Will recommend the hotel to family/friends and If I visit Padua again will be happy to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family