“Nice surprise”

Ristorante La Calcina
Reserve with
Ristorante La Calcina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #344 of 1,462 Restaurants in Venice
Price range: US$29 - US$94
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The small dinning room over viewing the water is nice, romantic and decorated in a italian rustic chic style. Really what we wanted.

The service is pro and the price is really reasonable. We were amayzed That for the price the portions are big. Shared a delicious san Daniel ham and citrus sorbet, then my veal liver venitian style was amayzing. Super good and unexpensive wine.

To recomand in this city where eating Well usually means paying a lot... Not here... You Spend a nice Time in a nice cozy italian atmosphere with great food.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I consider myself something of risotto connoisseur. Hardly a week goes by when I don't cook it and if I say so myself I'm pretty damn good at it. Which means I seldom eat risotto when I dine out as it is so often a disappointment typically being either overcooked, reheated, too dry or too sloppy. Seldom just right. But as it is something of a speciality in Venice I thought I'd take a gamble and go for it. And I'm pleased to say that Caffe la Piscina did a good job of their seafood risotto. Flavoured with saffron and packed with shrimp & squid it was very tasty. And nicely al dente too. Happy days. Their tiramisu is also pretty good. Probably over-priced for what you get (€17 for the risotto, €8 for the tiramisu) but it is in a great location and in summer I am sure the seating outside and the fine views make up for the extra outlay.

1  Thank eddymaya
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Additional to the restaurant's extraordinary water-way view, the menu serves a purpose, & that, my dear friend, is to please. Exceptional service in a well-dressed atmosphere--meaning there is nothing "shabby" about this establishment. We found our first dinner to be exceptional. In fact, we did not have reservations on a busy night; however, in spite of a scramble for table space, they were kind enough to find us a table with a view. Our waiter was excellent. The food was excellent. The view was something one dreams about experiencing ... in dear Venice .... Ah, Venice .... What a splendid place .... What attention to the customer .... What exceptional service .... And to witness this beauty at the La Calcina is marvelous. Hope to see you here soon .... I'm not leaving!

And in the early morning, as Venice gets dressed for the day, one can takes one's breakfast at ease. Watching, as one sip's one's coffee, as people hustle past on their way....

And a great restaurant to view a Venice morning is sitting outside the La Calcina. Yes, the earth turns & Venice continues ... So very happy to have been a part of it, in Venice, at the La Calcina in the early morning as the sun rises ....

1  Thank agolfpro2
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband and I had dinner here on September 14, 2013, my birthday. It was a terrible disappointment. We were seated, and then waited and waited before anyone even came by our table. When the waiter did come he was very unfriendly and unhelpful. We had to wait more for another waiter to bring our wine. Our dinner arrived very quickly and the wine came at the same time and we did not even have time for a drink before dinner, and we felt very rushed. I had the tagliatelli with lobster and it was horrible. Some parts of the pasta were hard, not even cooked, and the lobster was very cold and very skinny with no meat- I think it was still frozen and it had bluish coloured granules sprinked around it. I barely ate my dinner. We decided to order a cheese platter for dessert. Instead of arriving too fast like dinner, it took more than 30 minutes to arrive, and we had to keep asking where the cheese platter was. By then our wine was finished. We complained to the head waiter, but he did not really care and blamed it on the kitchen.

Toronto

1  Thank james_glasspool
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Came at 12.45, but was informed that terasse and service would only start at 1pm. Nevertheless we can take place and order aperitifs. These were only served 15 min later, but the Bellinis were made with fresh fruit juice...It took another 15 min before we could order food and meanwhile 3 other tables that came later had the opportunity to order...
Although on the menu they were out of salmon and could only receive tuna of the duo...,but it was excellent as was the turbot that we took as main dish. As the weather was getting a bit chilly we decided to skip dessert, to order coffee and the bill.
Since meanwhile a group of 15 arrived , coffee came again 15 min later and I had to go myself to the casher to pay before we could leave at 2.45 pm...Service was thus a bad experience.