“Caprese (?) + Pizza”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Marco
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

For a Caprese salad they charge 2X, one for tomato and other for mozzarella. Pizza is ok, don't even try to ask for just one item.

2  Thank FortunaMF

Reviewed 10 August 2013

What an utter disgrace this "restaurant" is to both Venice & Italy......

On entering and politely requesting a table for 2, we were met by the most pig ignorant excuse for a waiter that either of us has ever experienced ( worldwide) . I felt we should leave right there and then but my husband just wanted to get something to eat and the place looked ok so he thought we could tolerate the bad attitude. So we ordered and waited. Our drinks arrived with the same rudeness as encountered from the second we set foot over the threshold.

While waiting for the food, I was shocked and disgusted to witness another member of staff ( who was drying glasses behind the bar) loudly emptying the entire contents of their nose into the tea towel they were using to dry the glasses.

Then another couple arrived and were given the same rude treatment as us from the original "waiter" ... As soon as he turned his back, they walked out without even looking at the menu he'd slapped down in front of them.

There was only 1 other table dining while we were there ( 2 guys) who'd been there when we arrived. They didn't look too happy with their experience either and quickly paid & left.

Our food arrived, served by the ignoramus whose attitude seemed to be going from bad to worse.

My starter was barely edible and I picked at it though didn't touch the lettuce garnish which was turning brown ( I've thrown better out in the trash). My partner's starter was just about edible. However, we just couldn't tolerate any more when the main courses were slammed down on the table in front of us. This guy was nothing less than a nasty, bad tempered bully.

We got up and demanded the bill. We gave them a few home truths about their rudeness, ignorance, disgusting behaviour and revolting food. They were left under no illusion about what we thought of their behaviour both towards us and the others who'd been in at the same time as us.

I didn't realise till just after we left that they'd had the brass neck to bill my partner 100 Euros for the 2 disgusting starters, 2 gin & tonics and the 2 mains ( which we had literally only taken one bite each from before getting up to leave. He paid them just to get out of the place but I'm damned sure I wouldn't have given them half that amount.

My husband and I are very easy going diners who would prefer to say nothing rather than complain about food or service .... So, with this in mind, can you imagine how awful this experience was when we were pushed so far as to tell them , in no uncertain terms, that they were an absolute disgrace.

Even despite our experience, I was still shocked on checking Tripadvisor later that evening, to find such a lengthy catalogue of similar experiences with dozens of reviewers consecutively scoring them 1/5 (which of course equals "Terrible" on here.

Please don't subject yourself to this sort of abuse and daylight robbery ( I'm kinda wondering if what they're doing is actually deliberate .... They upset diners so much that they leave in disgust whilst pocketing their money having for food you would think twice about feeding a dog with).

This place should be monitored by the authorities as it is a disgrace to Venice and Italy.

5  Thank Fyrishsunset
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I usually like planning and have a few ideas of decent activities and dining options where I intend to spend part of my day. On that day, we decided just to walk, and ended up in San Marco square area toward the end of lunch time. With a hungry little one, we went for the first thing that grabbed out eye... big mistake...

What I liked: Food was prepared relatively quick once the order was put in.

What to watch for/could be improved: Understaffed, rude employees, took a very long time to acknowledge our presence ( a few people sitting at a table actually walked out of the place before their order was taken). Food, even pasta, was of mediocre quality at best. Forgot to bring the drinks. Coca-cola was either not Coca-Cola, or mixed with some very bad CO2 and water. Small restaurant with very little room to move around. I have had a few bad dining experience in tourist oriented "restaurants", but this is near the bottom

2  Thank ottwatrvllr
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Ok you can walk circles around Venice and find new places to see and eat. This was amazing we ducked in to avoid the crowds and had wonderful food and great wine. The waiter was fun and always checking on us.

2  Thank Colleen D
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stopped for a meal after a concert and what a mistake we made! The restaurant looks good but it is just a trap. We ordered calamari and we got the frozen variety and deep fried. I had better at a fast food on the highway. Then the waiter brought both courses for my wife and none for me. Next I did get the soup by the time my wife was finishing her meal so it does not get cold. The spaghetti with tomato sauce were OK and so were my calamari nero but we got the potatoes and vegetable side dish that we ordered only after we asked again and AFTER we finished the other courses. We were not game to try the wine or the dessert.
AVOID AT ALL COST