“Not a good experience”

Neighbourhood: San Marco
Perth, Australia
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Terribly expensive coffee, very average desert, not a good overall experience. Would not recommend it.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank SalientInt

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing good to say about this place”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This has to be the worst restaurant I have visited. Ever.

I am not sure how any of the other reviewers could have got a good meal here as this restaurant managed to make such an appalling mess of two simple pizzas.

I must admit that I broke one of my rules of entering anywhere which has a Waiter outside plying customers to enter. Thing is they do it all over Venice and inSan Marco in particular so the only advice I would give is do your research before you go or you could end up in this or one of the other ‘Tourist Trap’ restaurants.

As other reviewers note, service is non-existent. The staff really could not care if you died in front of them and make no attempt to be friendly, helpful or courteous. Funnily enough they note on the window that there is no cover charge but service is added at 12.5% automatically to your bill. They will bring (throw) bread on the table but it is stale and of very poor quality.

Our bill for one bottle of water, one 40cl beer (draft), one mushroom pizza, one capricciosa pizza and a side salad came to just over Euro 39. Not bad for the location had the food been edible. The salad was just a boring salad but to be fair it was reasonbly fresh. The pizzas were however were just terrible; bases that tasted and broke into shards like they had been made from flour and water with no yeast and toppings so bland that you really could not taste anything. Anyway the way they were flung on the table proves that this restaurant has absolutely no pride in what they are serving up.

So I guess the moral is don’t go here. Oh and when you pay cash you won’t get either a receipt or your change without asking. For what it’s worth our hotel recommended the chain restaurant RossoPomodoro over the other side of the street for good pizza. We did go there and the pizza was very good which is sad that a chain is doing a better job than the locals.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Neatandtidy
Montreal
“Terrible!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

From the food to the service I would avoid this place at all costs. It was the worst meal we had during our 3 week trip in Italy in the month of September.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank maria_cinelli
Gateshead, England
“Venice - Da Celio Restaurant - Pretty good even though the reviews say different.”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Not sure what others on TA encountered in this restaurant as I don't think I've seen so many negative reviews. Perhaps we were just lucky or ordered food that they knew how to cook. We came away from St Mark's Square wanting to hit the back alleyways and find a small restaurant to grab a bite to eat mid afternoon. There was plenty of choice but as the Da Celio was packed and business looked brisk we thought this was as good as any. We were quickly sat near the front and offered drinks. I took a large beer and my wife a coffee. Our friends did the same. The menu looked reasonable and not as pricey as I thought it would be so I plucked for a pizza whilst my wife had some form of pasta. Service was with a smile and pretty good and efficient. The food came as per we'd expect and it was delicious. We sat for a good hour just discussing our first afternoon in Venice and the place was a delight. It was well decorated and the staff were fine. After about an hour we sorted our bill out which again was reasonable given the location close to St Mark's Square and we left. It was nothing spectacular but certainly not the hell hole TA reviews suggest. We must have got lucky or we are not as choosy as others.

• Visited October 2013
“Caprese (?) + Pizza”
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

For a Caprese salad they charge 2X, one for tomato and other for mozzarella. Pizza is ok, don't even try to ask for just one item.

• Visited August 2013