“Quiet and pleasant hotel in a busy city” 5 of 5 bubbles

Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena
Ranked #62 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Roskilde, Denmark
“Quiet and pleasant hotel in a busy city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

If you don't want to be in the middle of the bustling tourist area of Venice with its late night revellers, then this is the place. The hotel is in a quiet area, nothing really going on close by but that's alright. You can either stroll over to St Mark's square or take the vaporetto boat. The stop is very close by. The rooms are well decorated and comfortable. The staff are helpful and when we left an adaptor behind they sent it on for us. After one walk we went over to the water bus, which is convenient and fast. Venice is a fascinating city, history, music, shopping of all kinds. One thing we noticed too late - there is a free 10 am boat to the Murano island with all the glassware shops.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TravellinGuy58

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We only stayed one night at the Hotel Sant'Elena but we wish we had stayed longer. It was a very nice hotel, with really friendly staff and a great breakfast. The hotel is in a residential area of Venice and next to the Biennial Gardens so it's really quiet. Its just a short water taxi ride (Vaporetto) to St Marks Square or the Lido beaches. It was always easy to get a vaporetto whereas if you stayed near St Marks Square the lines were extremely long. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor which was very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ChicagoKas
Hawarden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Upon booking I asked for flowers and champagne to be in the room as a surprise for my wife. It was the biggest, nicest array of flowers we have ever seen. It did cost €40 but the champagne was with compliments of the staff. A treat well worth doing.
The room was very spacious with its own sofa area. Very comfortable bed and a very quiet room. Clean, tidy and modern. I wouldn't complain if I had to live in this room for a while it was that good.
2-3 minute walk to the waterbus or a 10-15 minute walk to st Marco square along the waterfront.
Location was good. Away from all of the chaos of Venice but not too far to be inconvenient.
Breakfast was very good and the staff were top class. Free wifi throughout.
Excellent value for money. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for flowers and champagne. €40 well spent. She will love you forever.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Benjy33
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights.
Room overall was great - closest thing to a north american hotel room! My only issues with the room itself was that we were on the first floor and a few of the bathroom tiles in the tub needed some maintenance. Bed was comfortable, shower pressure was great!

Service - not bad... We got ice when asked for it. Towels were replaced etc.

Breakfast - best breakfast with the biggest selection we had during our 2 week stay in italy.

Location - it is out of the main centre of venice but. We did not mind as there are several vaperetto line that pass the hotel and they come often. It is only 2-3 stops away from st marks square. We enjoyed the boat rides. U could prob also walk back in 30-40 mins. Note - vaperetto is 6-7 euro a ride so its best to get a pass if u are thinking of staying here.

We also registered for the murano glass tour through the hotel. A water taxi takes u and drops u off in front of one of the factories. You see a ten min demo and then are taken to the showroom. While there is a bit of sales pressure, you do not have to buy anything and with a little tact, can get out of that place to see the rest of the shops. U can gety to murano on your own with the vaperettos, but taking the speed boat water taxi is kinda fun and ordinarily water taxis are 100 euro.

Overall I would def stay here again but make sure I have room on a higher floor held for me.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank princessS
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed there between 3rd and 7th of August and got a great deal with flights and room for £330. I am always dubious by these combo deals, but it was part of one the main city quarters. So, yes, it is far away from the main square, but if you are up to it then its a fantastic walk along the sea front path for about 15 minutes. And, when you get to the main areas during the day, one of the first things you'll want to do is escape the hordes straight away that are loud and so this hotel is in the best spot in Venice, in my opinion. The area is beautiful, wooded, and the locals are super friendly in the local cafes. If you don't want to walk then the Vaporetto is very close, but will eat your cash and so I took the a 3 day (72 hours pass) and then abused teh vaporretto to visit as many islands as I could, while also cooling off in between seeing the beautiful islands, such a Torcello and Murano. I suggest doing it this way as the excursion is 25 Euro just to transport oyu around these islands and you get nothin else and so by using the Vaporetto from the hotel, you can literally go anywhere you want.

THe hotel is modern and the staff were fine, but in general Italian service do move the goal posts a bit in terms of customer service and there hotel *star ratings, but for Italy then this was a gem for a 4*. The room was spacious and clean. The only gripe is the scuff marks of bags being dragged by previous guests. It isn't really dirt but its fairly easy to remove and so it just looks a bit tatty, but in general the room was impeccable. The breakfast was fine for what I need - fruit salads and yoghurts - lots of cakes and pastries, as well as nice selection of breads, meats, and cheeses. You need to ask if you'd like a cappucino / latte, but plenty of coffee. They also have gluten free bread there, which is pre-packaged and I took to snack on.

I guess if it had had a pool or gym then it would have been fantastic, but then we wouldn't have visited the beach at Lido, which is fantastic and easily accesible from Sant Elena Vaporetto. Just be prepared for being a bit close to tourists and locals on the boats - in the summer, this is not great!

overall, ignore all neg posts and just book this place. If someone is complaiing about staff then it was an issue between them and the hotel, but accomodation was great.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hall5456
Ft.lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

We had visited many cities during our Europe trip. We stayed in kid suite. The room was big, nice, newer and very very clean. I would recommend this to anyone who are going to Venice. The water bus station is very close just about 3 minutes walking.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Let's face it, the reason you are considering staying at this hotel is because you want a modern, reasonably priced hotel in Venice. I'm not going to rehash the same things the other reviewers have said in this review, just give a few tidbits to those that may be looking for the type of information I wish I had on this hotel when doing my research.

I took a water taxi from the airport to this hotel, the drop off point is just behind the hotel. I could see it from my window. If you choose to take a Vaporetto it should be simple enough as long as you don't have more than one suitcase and the vaporetto isn't terribly full. Check in was easy, even with us checking in around 10am after arriving from an overnight flight which I thoroughly appreciated! The staff were always helpful.

Yes, this hotel is about a 20/30 Minute walk to the st Marks area, but it is a waterfront walk which isn't bad. You need to consider if you are wanting to make this walk, or just catch the vaporetto. Its no more than 5 mins from the hotel to the vaporetto stop in sant elena. If you catch the right vaporetto, (i liked the 5.1/5.2 the best) the ride is about 5 mins to the st marks area. Everyone is correct in that the area around this hotel is a lovely residential area. We arrived on a Monday, and there were children and families and pets in the park and a few stores/restaurants a few minutes within walking distance from the hotel. I'll add in a pic of the stops on the vaporetto map!

The room was basic, with a mini fridge with typical mini fridge things. Front desk staff were able to help us with a converter/adapter and iron. Others have posted photos of the walls in the rooms that are scuffed up and dirty looking and I think I had one of those rooms, I just didn't bother to take photos of it. I didn't book a suite so I didn't care how the walls looked. The bed sits close to the walls, so I would imagine the walls would get marked up and scuffed-I just find it odd they don't repaint them as that would be a simple solution. A/C wasn't the best we had while in Italy and it didn't seem to get cooler when we lowered the thermostat but nothing we complained about. There was only 1 english channel which was BBC news I think. Bathroom was clean and seemed newer than the rest of the room. Internet was spotty at times but I only needed it occasionally. We only attended breakfast once to check out this "American style breakfast" this hotel advertises. While it had a good variety, I would hardly say it's American. It's as much American as Olive Garden is Italian I suppose!

Overall I enjoyed my stay here, but while we were in Italy it fell at the bottom of the hotels we stayed at. After long days out enjoying Venice, sometimes we weren't in the mood for getting on the hot vaporetto and riding back to the room and we wished we stayed closer.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple