“wonderfull stay in Venice”
Review of Domus Civica

Domus Civica
Ranked #66 of 222 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Venice
“wonderfull stay in Venice”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The only thing, that I don't really like about this hostel is that you can't go out or come back between 00:30 and 07:00.

It's a perfect place to stay in Venice for students.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Elizaveta G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I have lived in this place for 2 years during my studies and it felt like being home. The position is the best, 10 minutes from the train and bus stations, it's cheap and the staff is always ready to help you with useful tips and information.
There is a beautiful terrace on the 4th floor with a stunning view of Venice, a must!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Gloria P
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I planned a trip to Venice for my partners birthday. As I started to research Venice I realised how expensive hotels are. I found the ostello on Expedia and booked it right away. This was my first experience of a hostel and I was pleasantly surprised. The sheets were clean and clean towels were provided. The shared facilities were clean and readily available. Best of all the staff were really friendly and welcoming.
The location is fantastic and I have already sent the hostel details to several people suggesting they stay here when they visit Venice.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sophia C
STL
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed at this ostello for three nights. I stayed at two different rooms; both were clean and comfortable - nothing fancy, but you absolutely can't beat the price, especially for the location. Most notably, the staff was very friendly and helpful - above and beyond, in fact. Here's why: One morning I had breakfast at the coffee shop across the way. I left my iPhone on a chair for a few minutes by mistake; when I went to retrieve it, it was gone. A week or so after returning home, my Mom got a call from the ostello. Long story short, a barista at the coffee shop confronted the person who took my phone, got it back, and delivered it to the hotel. A staff member at the hotel contacted my Mom (her last name is the same as mine, so I guess they made the connection), and eventually got to me. The phone is being returned to me as I write. Thanks to the kindness and thoughtfulness of all parties, I not only smile when I think of my stay at Ostello Domus Civica, but I am so appreciative, and can truly believe that there are terrific people out there who are willing to make the extra effort to do the right thing.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank ceerig
Philippines
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Venice is an expensive place and to find a good place near the major sites and train station can be difficult.
I was traveling solo last August and my number one goal was to not suffer from hauling my luggage from Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia to my hotel and also save some money. Domus Civica offered me both! It was only 19euros per night and I didn't have any roomates with me (room was supposed to lodge 3) so it was great! I could just walk to the nearest vaporetto stops/stations (Piazzale Roma or Ferrovia). Or as what I did on my first day, I asked the lady at the reception on how to go to the Doge's Palace on foot. I didn't get lost and had a nice early morning excursion via the Rialto.
The place is a bit far from the sites, I admit, but there are also palazzos's and restaurants you can visit nearby. It is also very near the Frari Church.
It can be strict on curfew (12midnight to 7am you are not allowed to enter the building). So what I did, I asked the lady that I have a 7am train trip to Udine the following morning. So she opened especially for me at 6 :) All you have to do in these situations is be nice. There's no harm in asking. Perhaps there's no attached toilet to the room but who complains for something so cheap?
I would recommend this place to my friends... People are nice. The place is quiet and nostalgic. A place where writers and poets to get a lot of inspiration from.

Room Tip: Smile and be nice to the receptionist and she may not give you a room on the fourth floor because th...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Danz008
Chandigarh, India
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We heard a lot about this hostel on web sites. But except for its easy to find location near St.Lucia station it had nothing more to offer to mature travelers like us. Mainly a girls hostel converted to hostel for others during vacations have no restaurant , no attached toilets or washrooms. One can find inner garments of inmates drying in the open all over.Internet is on payment ,one euro for 15 minutes. No professional reception. Its not cheap either.

You miss morning tea, breakfast and have to find out thus plan in advance to leave this place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rkpuri

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 8 September 2011

The hotel closes at midnight and if you dont reach there before, you stay out. Can you imagine? A city that excels at night, the hotel forces you to be back and spend it in there rooms! We booked a double room and what we got was a bunker. They didnt mention any such thing on the website. The place is beside some cathedral, so the bell sound will never let you sleep. But the most annoying part remains the timing. Overall very dissatisfied with the stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple