“Knowledgable guides”

and up
Private Walking Tour: Venice's Jewish Ghetto
Ranked #36 of 163 Tours in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Context provides an in-depth alternative to traditional tours. We are a network of architects, historians, art historians, and other specialists who organize over 300 different walks in 15 cities around the world. Florence teaches that art does not exist in a vacuum. Here in the churches, palaces, and other Renaissance-era institutions we encounter art in its original setting enveloped by social and political context.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Knowledgable guides”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Context Travel in Venice was organized, prompt, helpful, and that's just the booking experience! The guides were fantastic. We liked Matteo so much we booked another tour for the next day with him. He was an archaeologist by training so his knowledge of Venice was extensive and he easily adapted his tour to suit our interests. We took the Daily Life in Renaissance Venice through the San Polo area which were unfamiliar with and Matteo gave us a glimpse into real daily life in Venice that we would never have had otherwise. Tamara was our guide for the Rialto Market Tour and we loved her. She was fun, funny, knowledgable and seemed to know just about everyone. It was like having a friend taking us for a private tour rather than a guide. We loved it.

I suggest booking a private tour if possible so you can see what you want and not get bogged down by others with different agendas or abilities. We are both fit and wanted to move along and see as much as possible. Both our guides were fine with this style.

Both our Context guides spoke very good English which you think would be a requirement for a guide, but our experience later in Bologna proved this was not necessarily the case. Our guide there (not with Context) was useless.

Visited May 2013
6 Thank SharonRoseFlorida

Chicago Journalist
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“An Exceptional Tour Times Two!”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We had two Context Travel tours in 2 days while in Venice, both with the same guide - Matteo - and they were equally wonderful. One was Venice By Boat, a two-hour introduction to Venice's history, neighborhoods, and relationship with the sea -all by private water taxi. Since the tour is in the evening, the timing is perfect, and Matteo is marvelously knowledgeable on a wide range of topics (he's an archeologist by training, which was a plus for me and my two teen-agers). While the tour is pricey, it would be just as costly to hire a private boat for two hours on your own, and you wouldn't get a tiny fraction of the information, so for me it was a worthy expense.

Our second tour the next morning was the 3 1/2 hour Architecture of Venice - a walking tour which, since we were the only three signed up, was tailored by Matteo to specifically fit my son's interests (he wanted to see off-the-beaten path sites...). I've been to Venice many times but Matteo took us to a couple of churches I'd never visited, an incredibly beautiful (but rarely visited palazzo/museum) and also to see some contemporary architecture, which is often overlooked. We all were THRILLED and the time flew by.

Matteo also flexible and kind enough to change the meeting place to accommodate us and our limited schedule - something we really appreciated. I can't speak highly enough about Context and their talented stable, just wish I'd known about them before now!!!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Writerontherecord
San Francisco, CA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Decent Doge's Palace tour”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I booked a group tour of the Doge's Palace, and mentioned that I was most interested in the history and politics of Venice. There were two other people on the tour with me.

The tour was good, but seemed like a standard style tour, and I had hoped for a more in-depth presentation.

When they asked me for my feedback and I mentioned this, Context was very concerned, offered me a partial refund and a free future tour. So they clearly do care and I give them bonus points for that. Given the many positive reviews I will try them again in the future.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank FoggyEthan
Albany, NY
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 249 helpful votes
“Best Activity in our Venice trip”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We booked the Ecology of Venice tour. Our docent Luca, an oceanographer, was an exceptional guide. Knowledgeable, personable, prepared. The pace was really good. The tour was only to last 2 hours but he worked with us for 3+ hours. Luca shared many technical details that held our interest. We were interested in the environmental side of this water based city [my son has a 2 year global water research class], and he really held our attention. We even had a quick pitstop at a wonderful cichetti bar and the docent paid for our beverages and snack. This ContextItaly tour was the highlight of our Venice vacation.
One can only hope that other ContextItaly tours are this good!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank IT-Expert
Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“It made our trip”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I only had a day and a half to show Venice to my 20 year old son after a ski trip.
We have used Context in many different cities and our docent for our morning walk was brilliant.We learned a huge amount about the City,the reality of life in modern Venice and a great sense of what makes this p,ace so special.
Her recommendation for lunch was spot on.

Visited February 2013