“The Dreaded Room 30”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Venice
BHR Boutique Hotel Locanda Ca'Valeri
Ranked #328 of 385 Hotels in Venice
“The Dreaded Room 30”
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately we had already left on holiday before the previous comments were posted. Room 30 is exactly as described. When we eventually found the place there was the buzzer and the disemdodied voice telling us to wait, pleasant lady came but she didn't speak one word of English. Air conditioning, that we couldn't work, spewing black bits all over the floor. Very dark, no bedside tables so have to get out of bed to turn wall lights off. We found blinds on the outside of the window one hour before we left. Very noisy neighbours literally feet away at the back, so close you could have held hands. We found safe in back of storage cupboard. Bed mattress terrible, felt every spring. Bathroom ok. Such a pity for our last night in this wonderful city.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2012

There were so many terrible things about this accommodation that I had to start writing a list! I really want travellers to know about our experience, and hopefully save someone else from a disappointing stay. I hope the owner also reads this, and thinks about seriously improving room 30 and the overall service provided at this accommodation. Whether you call it a hotel, boutique hotel or bed and breakfast - it was terrible.

We arrived after a long transit at about 7:30pm. The front door was locked and only a mobile number was provided (we don't have a mobile in Europe, since we are traveling from Australia for 3 months). After ringing the doorbell outside a few times, we were greeted by a gruff voice from the intercom outside, informing us that our keys were on the table inside the door. The voice (think the Wiz, as we nicknamed him, from the Wizard of Oz...) was not at all welcoming. We were instructed to take our keys OUT of the hotel and down a dark laneway, where we found Room 30. It's NOT EVEN IN THE HOTEL!!!

This is why you should not get room 30
- It looked NOTHING like the photos on the website, the furniture was mismatching and old. It looked like it had been bought from a flea market.
- The room was very, very dark. There was one lamp (that wasn't even plugged in) and there were NO bedside lamps.
- There was a cupboard, which we assumed was for our bags, clothes etc. But when we opened it, it was full of old tvs (yes, previous reviews are true) as well as old furniture. Disgusting and dusty. And so, there was absolutely no storage space at all for our belongings.
- As it was hot, we turned the air conditioner on. It immediately started spitting black stuff (dust, dirt??) out all over the room, the bed and our bags. So horrible!! We had to turn it off immediately, of course, and suffer in the heat.
- The wifi DOES NOT reach this room at all.
- Some of the bathroom lights were not working.
- The room had a really putrid smell, probably mould. They were trying to hide this with a perfume thing in the wall, which also stank and didn't hide the smell anyway.
- The walls were dirty, black scuff marks all over them (again, not anything like the pictures on the website).
- There was no safe, as was promised for all rooms on the website.
- There was no fan in the bathroom. When we opened the window, we were immediately greeted by mozzies, and had to shut it again. So, no ventillation in the bathroom. Not pleasant.
- There was some mould in the shower.
- There are no curtains on the windows. Thus, light from neighbouring places shone through and made it hard for us to sleep.
- Several light switches were not working.

Now, some of these things may seem petty, but I hope you will see that when added together, this was absolutely outrageous considering the price they charge here. We were disgusted, and immediately visited the intercom to request a roomswap (please note that we have been traveling through Europe for almost three months and have never had to complain about a room like this). The gruff voice, after I had to list things that were wrong, eventually barked in a very unfriendly manner that after breakfast, he would try to move us.

Breakfast, by the way, as stated in previous reviews, is extremely average. Close to the worst I have had anywhere on my travels. Example: croissants in plastic packages. Seriously???

Trying to get swapped after breakfast was an ordeal in itself. The only staff member available, spoke absolutely no English and just said we had to wait until 11. We were cross about this, we had 2 days only in Venice, and so wanted to get out and about. But, the Wiz, via intercom yet again, said we must wait until 11. Very poor service to two people who are already unhappy with your product, certainly not how I would run my business.

When finally the girl came to get us, she showed us to another room up 52 steep stairs with no lift. There was no-one to help with bags of course... When we got up to the room, it hadn't been cleaned!!! So then we had to leave our bags in the room and wait another 20 minutes in the small non-airconditioned lobby (where there is virtually no-where to sit) while she cleaned it. She never told us when she was done cleaning, we had to work it out ourselves bu hearing the door close, and then trudge up the 52 stairs again, hot and bothered. She was extremely unfriendly through the whole process, and no one ever made any attempt to apologise or see if we were happy.

The new room was nicer, and more like those advertised on the web. However, moving rooms, when you are only in a place for 3 nights is really disruptive to your holiday, and guests should NOT be put in this position in the first place.

Of note in the new room is that, while it was very nicely decorated, it was very small and had little storage space. The mini-bar is empty. Also, there is one or two bars of wi-fi here, and it was very, very slow.

The next morning we finally layed eyes on the Wiz. While he would greet us in a reasonably friendly way, I witnessed him yelling at the aforementined female worker on a few occasions. In front of us!! It was awkward, and completely unacceptable to speak to anyone like this.

Also, at the end of our stay, we were asked to pay a hefty city tax, and he refused to let us pay with credit card, even though the machine was right there!!

Overall, this was a terrible experience and I would never, never go back here. Such a shame to have such poor accommodation since, otherwise, Venice was incredible.

Do yourself a favour, avoid this place, avoid the Wiz, if anything - definitely avoid room 30.

Room Tip: Make sure you request to not have room 30!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Olivia G

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Arranged for my daughter to stay in this hotel, with travelling companion for her 18th birthday. She loved the place. Convenient yet quiet. Particularly liked the breakfast arrangement in the courtyard. I contacted the hotel staff to arrange a birthday cake etc. as a 'surprise'. They were extremely helpful and well organised and presented the chocolate cake at breakfast.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank dascam
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed here in June 2009, very nicely decorated, and very quiet. In the area of nice little cafes and restaurants too, not far from St. Mark's square, if I remember correctly. It seemed a little shady how we had to call someone, who'd then come and let us in though, and we never seemed to see anyone at reception.
Breakfast was also just some pre-packeaged crossiants and orange juice..had to stop at cafes to get something decent. But overall, quite luxurious and restful.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Pros: Great location, even though we struggled to find the place. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The room was nicely furnished and reasonably clean.
Cons: the lower bit of the shower curtain was orange with mould. Breakfast was very average, even to Italian standards. Expensive (I guess you're paying mainly for the location)

• Stayed September 2011
Oceanside, New York
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We got there by following directions we printed out from the hotel site, from the San Zacceria water taxi stop. Make sure you print out their directions and follow them explicitely, or you will never find this tiny (6 rooms) hotel, which is located in a back alley. When we got to the hotel the door was locked and no one was in the lobby (it was the middle of the afternoon). There were two buzzers by the door. We had to keep ringing them for about 10 minutes until someone finally answered and buzzed us in. The key was on the front desk and our room was across from reception. The free Internet didn't work and the room phone only rang in reception, where no one was. So I went outside, buzzed again and was told the Internet password, which didn't help. After going back and forth a few times it was clear that Internet wasn't working. Two days later the owner finally showed up, reset the router and now we had Internet. Not great service in my book. The room itself was pretty nice and a comfortable size, the free breakfast was skimpy and only included a few rolls, juice and coffee, nothing else. The location was the best part, near San Marco and boats to everywhere. If you are totally self sufficient and don't require reliable internet service or standard hotel services (no one there to help with directions, bookings, restaurant recommendations, check-in, wake up calls, etc) then this a good budget choice. If you want a hotel with services look elsewhere. If I were to go back to Venice I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are totally self sufficient and require no hotel services.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elliot S
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The Locanda Ca' Valeri is close to Piazza San Marco and to the San Zacceria boat stop. Yet it is just distant enough to give you the feeling that Venice is yours and that you're not part of the tourist masses. The shops and restaurant in the area are different from those closer to the main tourist attractions. Ca' Valeri is also very quiet! Just around the corner of the tiny ally you'll find a lovely square with a good restaurant and the perfect local bar for your morning coffee with brioche. (Remember that in Italy prices are different for consumptions standing at the bar and sitting down at a table.) Service in the Locanda is limited. You'll find your key waiting for you on the counter with a note with your room number. My room was clean, decoration charming, antique, Murano glass lamps (see website http://www.locandacavaleri.com/). Bath room modern, elegant. Air conditioning low noise and good. The Jacuzzi wasn't working, neither was the TV. I didn't really mind. It was wonderful to lie in the large Jacuzzi tub even without the hydro-massage and a few days without television is always a relief. Davide the manager/owner promised he would have both repaired the day of my departure... Do check if he did! My colleague and I had breakfast in the bar around the corner on our way to work. When I needed to call a restaurant one evening I found the phone book in the office at the entrance and called myself. I would recommend this small, quiet, charming place to anyone who doesn't need to be looked after. If you want more service another hotel might be more convenient for you. I want to clarify that service wasn't bad. The people were in fact very friendly! But they were there only part of the time (never in the evenings). I loved the simple style and really enjoyed my stay. I'll go back the next time I go to Venice. The price for the room seemed reasonable 180 euro/night.

Room Tip: The room on the top floor has a terrace.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business