“Great location and very modern decor, has the wow factor”

SINA Centurion Palace
Ranked #66 of 388 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I chose this hotel as I really like luxury hotels, as I feel good surroundings and attentive service really make a trip. I have always wanted to go to Venice, so when travelling with a friend here this year for the first time, we wanted to pick a really nice hotel. This hotel looked stunning in all the pictures in terms of the rooms and location and was within our price range (albeit at the higher end of the range!). Plus it offered twin double beds, something that seemed hard to find in many other nice hotels, which is unusual really as surely its common for two platonic friends of the same sex to go on sight seeing holidays together, and obviously you don't want to share a bed in these circumstances. We stayed for 4 nights.

The location of the hotel was in a quieter area, but with very easy access to get to more touristy hotspots within minutes via traghtto and Vaporetti transport options ultra close to the hotel – def make use of the traghetto across the grand canal if you want to get to St Marks area very quickly (not that far either to St Marks if walking, and what a picturesque place to walk anyway). Being right on the grand canal was fab too! Not a great deal of restaurants in immediate vicinity, but this didn't bother us particularly as we like to get out and explore from early morning to late at night so don't tend to eat around the hotel anyway. We often go for a slightly quieter area, but still in the city centre, as a trade off for getting a luxury hotel more affordably than if it was bang in the centre of the tourist hotspots. Getting dropped off by speedboat at the hotels own jetty entrance on the grand canal also made us feel very grand, and justifies choosing somewhere directly on the grand canal to stay.

The decor of the hotel was ultra modern and stylish, and the hotel lobby and check in area was very impressive and grand, lots of marble. We also found the bar and dining area to be very nice, both of which had stunning views. However, maybe as the hotel is in a slightly quieter area, the bar was not busy when we visited which felt slightly unusual (on one occasion we were the only people in, lots of attention therefore, but still felt slightly odd). Continental breakfast was very good and a nice relaxing start to the day looking out at the grand canal. Staff were all very nice and courteous, and what I expect of 5* service and luxury. We had doors opened for us, and our luggage was taken to our room etc.

Our room was a bit smaller than I expected, and smaller than in some 5* hotels in European cities I have visited, with the twin beds pushed very close together. However, the decor of the room was very to my taste, and the bathroom with all the gold was stunning, so I can overlook the size and the lack of a view (think you have to pay alot more than we did for a grand canal view, which is something to note perhaps when picking the level of room you want to stay in). The hotel was all very clean and felt new.

The only real downside (if any) I experienced was from the air conditioning not working properly. I don't really like heat at night when sleeping, so like to have the air conditioning going full blast and the room to be very cool. I can't sleep otherwise. The air conditioning was not cooling the room so I rang down to reception several times during the nights to keep reporting it. Someone came and looked twice and said they had got it working properly each time, but the room never cooled. On another occasion I was told by another member of staff the air conditioning had only just been turned on for the year and this was the problem it was not up to par, but would have thought air conditioning should be an option all year round, as some people just don’t like heat at all when trying to sleep and need a very cool environment. The offer of a fan would be a good idea if there are known to be problems with the air conditioning at a particular time, but I was told there were none. I didn't get a great night sleep on some nights therefore, which did put me out a little given I was staying in a 5* hotel and have had great air conditioning at 3* hotels, it’s a staple rather than a luxury, but this did not spoil my time in Venice and hasn't spoiled my view of the hotel.

Overall, I really loved this hotel, it was stunning and I would recommend it and stay again. The only slight downside was the air conditioning not working that well, as this is very important to me personally. The proximity in the room of the twin beds also may also be a drawback if you don’t like to sleep close to people, and the lack of a view if you don't go for a more superior class of room may be a disappointment (it was to me a little if I’m honest), but I think these things (e.g. small room size and the good views being reserved for the most expensive rooms) would be common to many 5* hotels in a popular city like Venice, where space is at a premium. The decor is amazing and you feel very special when you are staying there. Well done, will have to bring my boyfriend back for a more romantic stay! Def 5* luxury (though certainly not cheap! Will have to save pennies).

p.s. my trip to Venice was better than I could have dreamed!! A city like no other! Can’t wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Champagne_Travel

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Me and my wife stayed here with our two kids, aged 10 and 5, for 3 nights and it was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. We stayed in a suite with a canal view and the room was magnificent. Very modern, chic and grand. The decor of the rest of the hotel was also very elegant and classy. The location was also very good for us as it was away from all the crowds and noise and yet not far from the main attractions. The water bus station is only a 1 minute walk away. Above all the staff was very friendly and helpful. Right from the front desk to the waiters in the bar and restaurant, all of them very polite and were ready to go the extra mile to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The hotel made our Venice holiday even more memorable. Definitely recommend it!!!

2  Thank Vicky D
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Excellent Hotel. The staff were friendly, helpful and informative. Dinner was not cheap but was absolutely excellent. The hotel is excellently situated right on the Grand Hotel in a quiet area away from the bustle of tourists, however it is only a two minute walk to a water bus which runs about every 10 minutes and takes you to St Marks Square in 5 minutes. The view from Room 502 is fantastic. You look down the Grand Canal towards St Marks Square and the Doge's Palace and can watch the sun rise in the distance. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others and would very happily stay here again if I returned to Venice.

Room Tip: Room 502 had a great view of the Grand Canal
2  Thank Bob L
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed for two nights whilst visiting Venice for the first time and must say we weren't disappointed - it was truly delightful - decor was very chic, rooms were comfortable and although we only ate breakfast in the hotel one morning it was delightful - amazing choice and quality and cleanliness was excellent. We found all the staff to be polite and professional.
Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to everyone, in particular for couples and friends for either a romantic break or for a fun weekend in Venice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank AnnaghLondon
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We drove to Venice and took a vaporetto (line 1, Salute stop) through the Grand Canal, the hotel was 100 meters from the stop which we found convenient.

Once we arrived to the hotel, they welcomed us and the check in didn't took more than a few minutes. Since it was late (10:30p.m.) and we couldn't find any restaurant open we decided to eat something at the hotel and I must say that it was not worth the money, that would be the only contra I found.

It is located in a very quite and nice area, almost in front of the piazza S. Marco (one stop away), and everything is at a walking distance. Next to it there is also a Gondola dock in case you are interested in renting one.

The room was amazingly beautiful and comfortable, we had a nice view of the canal, a nice sofa, ipod dock and even a little room with a spinning machine and a T.V. in front so that you could maintain your shape through your stay.

I had some issues with my cc and they were always very polite and helpful every time I asked them to scan any document that I had to send to my bank.

This was the first hotel of our trip and I wouldn't imagine a better start for a 39 day trip, you make your conclusion.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karyna K
ExecutiveCP, Executive Office at SINA Centurion Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear Guest,
many thanks for this very good review concerning your recent stay at Centurion Palace.
We are really glad to learn about your high satisfaction with Room, Service and Location, and are deeply sorry to hear of the negativity of your impression in regard of our Antinoo's Lounge and Restaurant.
We truly hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon to Centurion, so to let you revise any unfavorable impression previously reported.
With our very best regards.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Hotel is beautiful throughout. was met at the boat to take my bags off us. checked in and bags where brought up to our room. rooms was beautiful and where very modern. i have stayed in 5star hotels before and would recommend this hotel. did not eat the food in the hotel as the price's where very high. location was good quiet. a taxi from the hotel to the airport is 110euros but the water taxis are expensive anywhere they take you. overall i enjoyed the hotel and found it relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anthony G
ExecutiveCP, Executive Office at SINA Centurion Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear Guests,
Thank you for having posted this positive review concerning your recent stay at Centurion Palace. We are glad to learn your stay was a pleasant and relaxing one, and do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.
Best regards.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed 3 nights here with our two children aged 7 and 9. I was initially nervous having booked this through BA on airmiles and then reading recent reviews, but needn't have been. We had booked 2 rooms and emailed the hotel before we left home to make sure they were together. We got rooms 203 and 204 which I would recommend for a family of 4 as they were adjacent and had their own door. The children's room had not been made a twin for us as requested but this was corrected while we went out for lunch, with no fuss. I must also mention that although check in was at 3, we arrived at 12.30 and were able to use our rooms immediately. I found the staff to be professional and courteous and was very happy with the service we received. Breakfast was also good, although you would be disappointed if you wanted a lot of cooked/hot options. The decor of the whole hotel was modern but sympathetic to the look of the hotel, and well maintained.
Internet access available for free in the ground floor business room, which wasn't busy so I could nip on to the computer quite easily.
I also didn't find the air con to be a problem, we found it was set at the perfect temp - not too hot, not too cold.And not noisy.
The best thing about the hotel was the location. Dorsoduro was perfect, not busy compared to the throngs we encountered at San Marco and the Rialto, yet only a few minutes across the water from San Marco. Really can't recommend this location enough - Zatterre to walk along, nice quiet but atmospheric waterways, yet all the major sites close by across the canal. Also waterbus to Murana v close.
We reached the hotel by taking the no.5 bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma and then the no. 1 waterbus to the Salute stop (right by the hotel). Easy.
The only negatives I would point out is that our shower had a see through glass wall which meant you could see the toilet from half of the room, not good! The kids room did not have this feature! Also the hotel bar was so unbelieveably expensive we couldn't bring ourselves to enjoy a drink there!
Overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Email the hotel before you arrive with any requirements.
3  Thank samandgabysmum