“WOW! WOW! WOW!”

Ranked #55 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Taunton, United Kingdom
“WOW! WOW! WOW!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Reading some of the negative reviews on this site, of this hotel, makes me think they must have stayed somewhere completely different to me!

We arrived at the airport, which was further out one - the name escapes me! We had booked a private transfer through the hotel. We were met by the driver in the airport and he drove us to a private mooring, where we boarded out private water taxi, which took us to the jetty of the hotel. The complete journey took about an hour, and we were so impressed that we booked the same transport, through the hotel for the return journey. I would thoroughly recommend this, as a way to start your experience in Venice!

Check in at the hotel was faultless and I had only booked the hotel 4 days before we arrive on Good Friday - 18th April 2014. We had originally booked a standard room, and then a Junior Suite became available the day before we arrived. I always think you can tell alot from a hotel, by the communication you have with them prior to arrival.

We were shown to our fabulous suite which overlooked the Grand Canal. Our Suite had 2 balconies, large enough for two people to stand on and be drawn into the romantic magic that is Venice. Gondola' gliding past our open balcony doors, with the haunting sound or a professional singer echoing from the narrow streets.

Shortly after being shown to our room, there was a knock at the door and a complimentary bottle of champagne and fresh fruit was delivered.

Our Suite was split level. There was a sitting room area and bathroom on the lower floor, with opening doors onto our balconies. Up the glass staircase was our bedroom, which had uninterrupted views out through the balcony doors, onto the Grand Canal - even whilst lying in bed. Behind out bed, was a fabulous large sunken bath.

We experienced impeccable service from all members of the team. Breakfast was fantastic and one day we ate outside on the balcony which was positioned over the Grand Canal. Service and choice at breakfast was faultless. The miniature chocolate Easter Eggs and broken up chocolate Easter Egg's were a very nice touch for Easter!

I cannot believe that so few people have mentioned the hotel's fantastic position to just about everything in Venice! The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is a matter of metres from the hotel, as is Vaporetto's (water boats) stations.

We had pre-booked a journey on a Gondola, but this really wasn't necessary as there were plenty that we could have jumped on.

Probably the most memorable experience I had in Venice and would urge everyone that is visiting to do the same is to go on a Gondola ride at night. We caught one of them just about to pack up for the night at about 10pm and asked if he would take us, which he agreed to do. We paid for the privilege - but it was a once in a lifetime experience. It was so quite on the water - compared to during the day when the waterways become packed with other boats and Gondola's. At times, the only noise you could hear was the sound of water trickling against the oar, as we glided peacefully through the water.

I cannot explain in words what it was like to fall asleep with the sound of the Grand Canal flowing into our room through the open balcony doors.

Trust me - book a Junior Suite at the Centurion Palace - you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Junior Suite overlooking the Grand Canal
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NickH330
ExecutiveCP, Executive Office at SINA Centurion Palace, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guests,
thank you so much for taking the time to post this fabulous review.
We are all delighted you had a memorable experience here at our Centurion Palace last April.
Our first aim is making our Guests' stay as much special as possible!
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
With best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was on the fence on where to stay in Venice. After looking at the reviews here on Trip Advisor I decided on the Centurion Palace and I’m happy to say I could not have made a better choice.

From the moment at check in this place screamed of service. Even though I was early, Stefano at reception guided me to a table on the water and arranged for a cappuccino while the room was prepared. I didn’t mind one bit, the view over to the Gritti Palace was to die for (as was the lemon cake accompanying the delicious coffee).

Being a SLH member I was told I had an upgrade (something I never expect and am grateful to receive). I was simply blown away by the room I was given (room 404). It was red and luxurious and shared the same view over to Gritti Palace and the Grand Canal. I didn’t want to leave the room (but being Venice) I had to.

I found the location of the hotel perfect! A quick 2Euro gondola ride got you across the grand canal as did the conveniently placed “ferry subway’.

I also dined in the hotel and food was very good – not traditional Italian but any shortcomings were soon forgotten about because of the phenomenal service (in particular Nicolas).

I loved the sights in the area and it is basically right next door to the Peggy Guggenheim museum. A short meander through the alley ways brings you to a great café frequented by locals. A little further on brings you to a square with a morning fish market and Venice’s famous bridge.

I have nothing negative to say about my stay. This hotel exemplifies the best in customer service (without any stuffiness) and it is in a perfect location and setting. Breakfast on the dock is simply ideal.

Room Tip: the best view in Venice could be from room 404
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank weedris
Dear Guests,
thanks a lot for this really amazing review!
We all are glad you enjoyed your recent stay here at Centurion Palace so much, and that you appreciated room, service and location (overlooking the basin of San Marco, adjacent to the church of Santa Maria della Salute and the San Gregorio area, between the Punta della Dogana and the famous Peggy Guggenheim Museum).
Furthermore, it is a pleasure to learn you were satisfied with your dinner at our Antinoo's Lounge & Restaurant, where our Guests can experience the contamporary taste of Venice.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Centurion Palace soon in the future.
Best regards.
London
Reviewed 12 May 2014

At home, when we go to bed, we switch the main room light off, and then perhaps a bedside light. If we have had the TV on , then the remote flicks that off. So why I ask do Hotels the World over seemingly think that before we fall into the arms of Morpheus we might like a test worthy of the Krypton Factor in order to ensure the room is dark? I ponder this because the Centurion Palace was no exception, and indeed to watch the TV, one had to have the lights on. I digress. We have just returned from an excellent weekend in Venice. We took a Motorboat Taxi from the airport and that is a great way to arrive at the Hotel and this amazing city. Check in took seconds and we were escorted to our Deluxe Room on the 4th floor. We were told we were 'Lucky' to have a Grand Canal View (room 406 in case you ask). At 500 + EUR a night I'm not sure how much 'luck' should be necessary but nevertheless, the view was excellent, and indeed over a complimenary bottle of prosecco which arrived shortly we idled an hour away looking out of the window. The hotel is superbly located, a 5 minute stroll to the Accedemia bridge. Generally we found the hotel side of the canal quieter, which suited well, and indeed there are plenty of good bars and restaurants in close proximity. The rooms are compact I'd say, but comfortable and clean, the bathroom in Gold is a little striking but plenty large enough. There are a number of designer touches around the hotel , and indeed most of the other guests looked like they had subscriptions to Vogue. The Restaurant was impressive, though understated; Everything in pristine white linen or leather, and a superb breakfast selection to compliment the surroundings. Overall, a very good experience, and one I'd be happy to recommend.

4 Thank OlliebeakLondon
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Our fourth trip to Venice, this one to celebrate a "special" birthday for my wife which the hotel were aware of. Location seemed ideal and managed to get a very good deal on line for a superior double room but on arrival we were led to Room 501, one of the smallest double rooms I think I've ever seen in any 4* star hotel never mind 5* with just room for a standard double bed and nowhere to sit. On the plus side it did have a limited view of the Grand Canal.

However, I took a trip to reception to see if anything else was available and was met with a very helpful young woman who insisted their main aim was guests' happiness so would try to help.

She said all other similarly priced rooms were occupied but they did have a junior suite available with a grand canal view, room 402. On seeing the room I opted to change and was offered what I thought an acceptable upgrade charge.

On the plus side; an amazing location, friendly and obliging staff, sitting on the canal side terrace with a glass of prosecco watching the entirety of Venetian life pass by is an experience to be savoured.
On the down side; very modern, not always practical interior, even in our junior suite nowhere comfortable to sit, gorgeous looking bathroom but huge bath, ideal for two, had vertical sides with taps at one end and heated towel rail at other so again impossible to lay back and relax.

Would I recommend it? on balance no. If you're happy to splash out for a room with a view that can't be matched anywhere else in the world then go for it but otherwise save several hundred euros and find another canal side hotel.

Room Tip: Unless you're happy to shell out for Grand Canal view, I'd go elsewhere. But check out any...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JNBils
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just arrived back. Saw this hotel last year from the Gritti Palace dining room, over the Grand Canal. Its very cool and modern. Lovely courtyard that is a great sun trap. Lovely bas and dining right on the Grand Canal. Down towards the San Marco end, virtually next to the Salute stop.
Booked a Junior Suite, upgraded to the Presidential suite (room 404) with 20 foot ceilings and a massive panoramic window and balcony. Spent all day watching the canal.
Some reviews picked out some minor wear and tear. Its true, but take in the whole atmosphere and feeling. If you have time to photo a stain in the bathroom then romance is not for you. Nitpickers will miss the whole point of Venice. Its all about sitting back and feeling the place. Not rushing around the sites. Take it slow, small back street cafes in out of the way places. We only went to St Marks square once and near the Rialto once. We also had various artists play outside the courtyard on the main route from the Guggenheim to Salute. One guy played the wine glasses very well, also brilliant Cellist and guitarist.

Room Tip: If staying here it must be a canal view room, all are expensive. If its a special stay then pay it a...
1 Thank mike682
ExecutiveCP, Executive Office at SINA Centurion Palace, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guests,
thank you for taking the time to post these lovely comments concerning your recent stay here at our Centurion Palace. It is a huge pleasure to learn you really enjoyed it, and do look forward to welcoming you back again soon in the future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have just got back from our stay in Venice at Centurion Palace. We couldn't fault it in any way!
Our room (no.302) was lovely, spacious and had a great view and a lady played the cello wonderfully in the alley outside our window in the afternoons. The service was perfect, everyone at the hotel were so helpful and friendly. They really made us feel welcome. We received a free bottle of Prosecco from management because it was my fiancé's birthday on Saturday and all of the staff were wishing him happy birthday throughout the day.
Chiandra (I think the lady's name is) gave us some very good restaurant recommendations and gave me a present to protect my heels from the rain on Friday. They really go the extra mile!
When we arrived at 9.30 in the morning they had a room ready for us before we could finish a coffee in the hotel bar.
The hotel itself is beautiful, but if you're after more of a traditional hotel then it's probably not for you. We love modern and contemporary hotels which is why we chose the Centurion. It really is luxurious.
The hotel runs a free shuttle in the evening to San Marco there and back which we found very helpful and just next door there is a gondola that takes you to the other side of the Grand Canal for 2€.
There isn't anything negative for us to add and we hope to visit again soon!
Thank you to all of the team for having us!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Tiffafairy
Dear Guests,
thanks a lot for having chosen our Centurion Palace in occasion of your recent stay in Venice, and thank you also for these really wonderful comments.
We are all happy to learn of your satisfaction with room and service, and that you had a great experience with us.
Please feel free to contact us personally if you plan another visit to our wonderful city!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We just checked into the Centurion Palace in Venice. We were so looking forward to our stay here because the website sold it as five star luxury hotel with amazing views from every room, and with a price tag of $720 a night that's certainly what we were expecting. But when they brought us to the room I couldn't quite believe my eyes. It was the size of a postage stamp - literally large enough for a bed with enough room on each size for one person to walk. And I'm from NYC…I get small spaces but this is ridiculous. And then the nice woman who showed us to the room tried to salvage the moment by revealing a small walled in terrace with a view of the back of the next building. As an added treat the terrace has a window that belongs to the room next door…so it's not only devoid of a view but also of privacy.

This is our third stop in Italy after Rome, Florence and Bologna and the hotels we selected in those cities were all great. The room at the Centurion Palace is by far the smallest even though it's more than double the price. When we tried to get online to review what we had actually booked we noticed a note informing us that internet access required us to buy a card at the front desk…yes…after paying over $1400 for two nights for a room that feels like a storage closet…they didn't even throw in the internet. Which incidentally was included in the three other Italian hotels we stayed in. It turns out we reserved a Superior Room and it seems what we got was the smallest version of that the hotel has to offer - nothing like what the website led us to believe we were getting...So not a great start to our visit here in Venice. But hoping the city can make up for this hotel lacks.

Definitely WON'T be recommending the Centurion Palace to anyone back home in NYC...

Room Tip: Insist on not being in the tiny room in the back with the terrace...
3 Thank SeanFr0mNYC