“Looks really nice: fairly meh food”
Review of Da Silvio

Da Silvio
Ranked #724 of 1,466 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Wandering around this afternoon, my primary culinary goal for the day was to find the cheapest place that served spaghetti al nero and that got at least 4 stars, and go back there for dinner. I looked all over Venice, and this was the place I decided to return. Sadly, I was, for once, unpleasantly surprised: while the location was quite pretty (not next to a canal, but still rather fancy, outside in a garden), the food was not actively *bad*, but fairly bland.

I ordered, of course, the spaghetti al nero - which had a good deal of cuttlefish, which were pretty tasty, but the sauce itself could have used a bit more umph. My other half ordered what in the US we'd call a cioppino (we learned today that that word is totally an American invention - here it's just called a fish soup, Zuppa di Pesce), which again, had a decent amount of seafood, but the soup itself could have used a bit more umph. Both were improved somewhat with a liberal amount of black pepper, but that hasn't been necessary any other place we've eaten at around Italy.

I also wasn't very impressed with the fact that I ordered a spritz (one of my new favorite drinks), and our waiter apparently didn't know what Select was. Not having it, fine, but it seems to be kind of the unofficial drink of Venice, and you don't know what it is? I've been in Venice all of a day and I've learned all the various things one puts in spritzes, and I'm not even a waiter at a restaurant that serves spritzes. (Unsurprisingly, it was also the worst spritz I've had so far, and I've tried a good few around. It was rather bitter, not in the sense that it used a bitter bitter - I was informed they only had camperol - but more in the sense that it didn't use the greatest wine, and then watered it down too much.)

So basically, pretty restaurant, service was fine, food was entirely edible but nothing exciting.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

What a hidden treasure in Venice! If you are there for a visit, you have to go there for a meal. The food at Da Silvio is out of this world delicious and the service was excellent. There were 11 of us, starving and looking for a true Venetian cuisine. While making our way to San Marco, we got hungry and started to look for a place to eat. We found this little charming door that opens to a garden and has a menu hanging from it with great prices. We walked in to check out the space and boy, were we surprised! The small doors lead to a beautiful inviting garden with canopies and tables. We were immediately greeted by our server, with that warm welcoming Italian hospitality and when we told him our numbers, he told us that he had the right place for us. He arranged for us three tables at the corner of the Garden with the natural tree shade and calming breeze. After we sat down, he helped us pick from the menu a collection of sea food appetizers which were out of this world good! Then when the food came, it was in great quantity and so delicious. The owner came out and brought some of the plates and the wait staff was amazingly attentive. We ordered a variety of items from their menu, margarita & mushroom pizzas, spaghetti with meat sauce, Veal Scaloppini, and pesto ravioli. Everything was very well prepared, delicious, and made with fresh ingredients. The fact that we were able to find this hidden treasure in Venice made our trip extraordinary. We highly recommend Trattoria Da Silvio and can't wait to visit Venice again to go there and ask for Amin!

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this place wandering aimlessly through Venice. Not very noticeable from the front entrance; very surprised to find giant patio that can be enclosed in bad weather surrounded by vines covering brick walls. The initial service was immaculate. The was staff was very understanding, considerate and helpful to the typical ignorant American tourist with no comprehension of the language.
Food choices are amazing and tasted amazing. The wine is good and a price that can't be beat. For a very nice sit down dinner and perfect atmosphere that even draws in the locals; you can't miss on this place.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We found this restaurant while wandering around Venice and decided to visit based on the TripAdvisor reviews. We were not expecting much but we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were fairly friendly (which is good for Italy), the food was well priced and the food was yummy - among the best we had in Italy. There is an outdoor area but we chose to sit inside. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Not far from "Campo Santa Margherita" (the largest square in Venice after Piazza San Marco) this restaurant, tried for a business lunch, was a nice experience. Arranged in a pleasant courtyard thanks to the beautiful sunny day, we enjoyed stewed cuttlefish in their ink with polenta and small artichokes, various grilled fish, grilled vegetables, good house wine. Fast and efficient service. Fair bill: a main seafood dish with a side dish, more the drinks, 20 euros each.

1  Thank Brun066