“Unenjoyable”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Castello
Neighbourhood: Castello
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We stepped inside, into one the most bizarre dining experiences we've ever had. We were hastily shown our seats by what appeared to be a waitress that was disgruntled that we were even there.

We ordered our main course which for some obscure reason was served one dish at a time so that my beef arrived and was finished before my girlfriends chicken. The rice was also presented in this manner by servers who would stand at the back of the restrraunt and stared at us throughout the meal.

Serving sizes were pitifully small with little to no effort put into their presentation.

I would recommend all to steer clear of this restrraunt unless they wish to have an unenjoyable, unsatisfying, bizarre yet hilarious experience.

2  Thank Walkabou

Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Ignore the negative comments i have been to china and this food was authentic chinese food, the ma po tofu was lovely and the service great. compared to italian food it is cheap and the portion sizes are fine. great staff. would return.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Unless you have a extremely Oriental family that is desperate for Chinese food, don't even think of eating here.

This is the typical tourist trap for Asians (specifically those from East Asia) where servings are small and culinary effort is done at the minimal. The ambience is tacky, ventilation poor and the air smells like stale oil. Food is comparatively cheap, but portions are pathetic. I would expect a restuarant run by Chinese people selling Chinese food to come out with something beside dry and salty fried noodles. The greatest outrage comes from my order of teppan beef with onions. The resulting dish was actually onions and beef shreds. Fried rice was bland, and they had the nerve to use frozen peas and corn.

Desperate for some Asian food? You'll fare better going to the corner shops and getting yourself a cup ramen.

2  Thank Anthony T
Reviewed 3 August 2013

If you by any chance are looking into the menu on this restaurant's window while in Venice, I advise you turn back and walk away. This restaurant has a Chinese name called 海城, but based on our experience over 20 countries' Chinese restaurants, this is the least one I'd like to recommend friends to visit. From our first step into the restaurant for lunch, we held back our smile and regret the decision immediately. The poker-faced short-haired waitress looked askance at us, impatiently pointed at a table in a small corner and shoot "just sit there". "Just sit there" is the only three words she used in greeting us while she was not busy at all because there was only one other table of guests in the restaurant. While ordering food, I politely asked if I can pay by credit card, her first answer was not yes or no, but a disdainful and respectless short giggling, we both felt a bit upset about her attitude. Later we asked if they have wifi available because most of restaurants or bars in Venice provided the service, but the poker-face came with a "no" without even looking at us. Then the food was served, the portion was as large as half of a normal portion we can get elsewhere in Venice, plus, we also wondered if the chef has ever been to a cooking school. Considering a 12% mandatory service charge, we honestly don't believe such service worthy of being paid for. Get back to my starting point, if you don't want your lovely day in Venice to be ruined, get away from this restaurant.

2  Thank Sean_love_travel
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

As the only Chinese restaurant in Venice, it's quite good for those who are homesick for a quick fix.

The service is very good and the staff is very friendly. However, do not be fooled by the cheap menu prices. The portions are very small.

For my friends and I, we were just homesick and needed a break from the usual pasta, pizza and paninis... So this place gave us a chance to have something different.

As a Chinese person, the taste of the food is average. Not particularly delicious but good enough for Venice.

Overall we were happy with the restaurant. We went back a few times for take-out as sitting at the restaurant (as with all other restaurants in Venice) incurs a 12% service charge.