“Romance at a great price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of AD Place Venice

AD Place Venice
Ranked #40 of 386 Hotels in Venice
East Preston, United Kingdom
“Romance at a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked this hotel as part of a break to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday in March, after much research on Trip Advisor, and I must say I was pretty pleased with myself at my choice.

As we arrived, after a two or three minute walk through the narrow alleyways from Giglio vaparetto stop, the receptionist was just lighting the candles in the lanterns at the entrance, which gave the place an instantly romantic feel. Booking in was painless and we were taken fairly quickly to our room, as I had booked an evening at Venice Jazz Club and we needed to get changed quickly to go and grab a meal before the show. We were on the top floor (in Septembre room I think - all named after months), and the "Stannah" style stair lift got our cases most of the way up, but there were a few more stairs after that. Not a problem for us, but could be for older travellers. As with most Venice hotels, there is no lift for guests or staff, and it would be impossible to fit one without ruining the fabric of the hotel.

Having booked a "standard double" through Expedia, I was amazed at the size and quality of the room (with a separate bathroom along a small hallway), which in other cities would have been classed as a suite. It seemed enormous as we had just come from Paris, where a more expensive room was about one third of the size. The photos on the hotel's website really do show the full glory, which is a refreshing change.

Everyone on reception was very helpful and only too pleased to show us how to navigate our way around. I don't know how long it would have taken to get to the Jazz Club at 9pm in the dark without their advice!

The hotel is well placed for the main sites, being about 200m from St Mark's Square, but with little noise apart from the odd passing gondolier.

Being so small, the hotel only serves breakfasts, so you have to eat elsewhere in the day and evening, but they were truly amazing. Probably the best I have ever had, with a great selection of mueslis with yogurt; fruit, and cakes. Be sure to try the chocolate muffins!

Room Tip: If I chose a relatively cheap option, then the other rooms must be unbelievable!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Elnombre_lulu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

When we arrived in Venice, there was a transportation strike, so we were pretty grumpy by the time we got to the hotel. Our moods changed as soon as we walked in. The lovely lady and gentleman who helped us get checked in were very friendly and helpful. We arrived prior to the check in time, but they managed to let us get in early. Even though we had to climb to the top floor, the terrace was right next to us, so we spent a good bit of time up there taking in the views. Breakfast was the best selection we had at any hotel in Italy. The room was gorgeous, and the bed was very comfortable. I have zero complaints about AD Place! (even after falling down the stairs my first time down...the stairs at the top are a lot more narrow than I'm used to!)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dollah1
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at AD Place Hotel for our 3 night mini-moon immediately after our wedding. We had such a fantastic time - we stayed in the most romantic red room...we were greeted by T who told us all about the amazing local restaurants which weren't tourist traps, the best bars, the best shops and everything in between.

The room was perfect - nice size, so close to the intimate roof terrace that it was almost our own. Comfy bed, dressing gowns and slippers supplied too.

The roof terrace was amazing - covered by a canvas roof, you can get the sun but there's no better place when there's a storm coming over and you've got a prosecco in your hand - you can also here the men singing on Gondola trips too as they pass the hotel.

Breakfast was good - nice choice of pastries, hot food, coffee and juices as you'd expect. Location is PERFECT - v. close to San Marco but also only 10 mins to Rialto Bridge, 20 mins to Jewish Ghetto and 15 mins to student area.

All in all we could't have hope for more - staff were all SO helpful. Bottle of prosecco just 16EU served with strawberries to the roof terrace - didn't expect that.

Well done AD Place we'll be back!!

ps - only tip for girls - bring your own hair dryer!

Room Tip: The red romantic room is lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LewyLondon
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We loved our 3 night stay at the AD Place. It was easy to find from the Giglio stop on the city-operated boat. There are steps inside, but they put your bags on a little wheel-chair lift, so you don’t have the carry them. The lobby has all the lanterns like in the pictures. We booked a standard double but I don't think we were upgraded as some other folks have reported. We were in the main building. Our room was very small, but the bathroom itself was spacious. The shower was small, but I heard that was the case in other hotels in Venice as well. The biggest issue for me was that there wasn’t a true desk. I typically have to work on vacation, so I like to have a place to set up my laptop. However, I could have worked in one of the common areas had a needed to do so. Everything was super clean and smelled very nice. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were soft. Good pillows as well. the night stands were ample-sized. I loved the slippers - purple and thong-style! They were very comfy and fit better than regular-style hotel slippers. The décor was a little gaudy (it is just like the pictures), but I loved all the purple and it was a fun to look at, even if I wouldn’t choose to decorate my home that way. The key for us was that it was a corner room, and we had two windows with the canal beneath (not the grand canal, but the smaller ones - better in every way), and every 15-20 minutes during the day gondolas would go by with at least one boat that had a singer and accordion player. It was so romantic! I just loved listening from our room.
The hotel is centrally located and a very easy walk to the Rialto Bridge and St. Mark’s square. It is also not a bad walk over to where you can catch a boat to Murano. But I think as long as you are in San Marco you are close to most things. There wasn’t too much super commercial nearby, but there were some nice shops and cute restaurants less than 5 minutes away – maybe 3 minutes – which I think was actually perfect. I think otherwise it would have been too loud and busy.
Breakfast was a little above average compared to a similarly ranked hotel we stayed at in Florence. They would make you espresso drinks, which was a nice touch. And all the pastries were on a heated plate, so they were just slightly warm. They also had pancakes, meat, cheese, rolls, fruit, juices, etc. I stuck to pastries and they were very good (even if the selection wasn’t vast).
The concierge was very nice. Not at all snotty or standoffish. And they were excellent with our things, which I appreciate. I told them we had laptops and ipads in two of bags so they required extra care, and the immediately said they were to be put in their office. I wasn’t worried about them being stolen, but just wanted to make sure they were dropped or put under other bags.
Over all an excellent hotel – I would stay again and I would recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: We were fine in our standard double - upgrade if you will just HATE a small room. I didn't like...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tahitijess
Bridgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We were two separate groups and we stayed in the annex which was a few blocks from the main hotel. The apartments were incredible. The larger one had a pool table and terraces overlooking the canal, all white theme with incredible high ceilings and floor to ceiling windows. The funky one with pink and green was not as large, but extremely comfortable. Both had mini kitchens and the location is two blocks from the food market in the area. So you can stock up easily. The staff was excellent and extremely helpful in providing tips to restaurants etc.

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend the annex apartments.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cfambwnj
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Since I was only staying 2 nights I wanted something central and this great little hotel in San Marco was perfect. Although the single room was small it was beautiful and well laid out. The breakfast in the morning was delicious and very filling. Also from the time I got off the water taxi I was at the hotel in less than 5 minutes!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here after a cruise for one night, and wow - what a location. It's right next to a main route for gondolas and while in our room for parts of the afternoon we would continuously hear the gondolas go by down below outside our window with music and singing. It was really special and actually a bit unbelievable that we were getting this experience from our room.

We had the Agosto (August) room and it was themed purple and the bathroom yellow/white stripes. The bathroom was very spacious, the bedroom spacious enough, and then the entry/foyer had a special hallway to place our bags and came with a large closet with mini fridge. The room had two robes on the bed and even matching purple slippers. How cool! We truly felt like royalty here which was really awesome.

The hotel is small but has some cool areas like the buffet area on the third floor (where we were located) and even had an area above on the roof which we visited but didn't have time to hang out much on (although we wanted to). At night the resort entry is lit up with romantic lanterns and candles which was really nice. And the staff was very helpful and knowledgable which we appreciated. They even helped us make a restaurant reservation and shared some local favorites for more authentic italian food. The hotel takes a little work to find but that's part of the magic of Venice and why you get the gondola experience right outside the main door and outside your room windows!

For a unique/cool room experience and to be close to San Marco square you can't beat this hotel's location and the theming. Would recommend it to friends and family and a nice way to end our cruise vacation.

Chad - 32 - Orlando, FL