“Great place for honeymoon!”
Review of AD Place Venice

AD Place Venice
Ranked #38 of 386 Hotels in Venice
NY
“Great place for honeymoon!”
Reviewed 17 April 2010

My husband and I spent the first leg of our honeymoon at AD Place. We were so thrilled with this great hotel. The location was perfect, right off of a water bus stop and area for taxi's and gondolas. When we arrived we were upgraded to a very large one bedroom suite free of charge because it was available. The front desk was incredibly helpful in finding us places to eat and giving directions to the neighborhoods and sites we wanted to see. Kamal was especially doting. We had gotten the honeymoon package for ourselves but he went above and beyond. We were given champagne and snacks on more than one occasion. He even brought roses up to us one day. The entire staff was helpful and nice and went out of their way to make us comfortable. If we find ourselves in Venice again, we will for sure stay at AD Place.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
london
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We were at AD 8th April for a few days.
Positives
Great location
Fun quirky decor, lovely beds and rooms (if you don't take the economy ones)
Pretty breakfast room
Sweet reception staff.
Negatives
No proper coffee at breakfast ( in Italy!!)
Breakfast food variable
No proper bar, just mini bar with tumblers in room
Not good if you can't climb stairs
Expensive for what you get
No info about hotel so it was only by exploring that I found lovely rooftop balcony

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank jmlf
London, England
Reviewed 11 April 2010

A great location and very Venetian decor, the lobby alone is a marvel of rich fabrics and a very striking gold sofa. The staff were helpful-despite the day manager having an injured foot-Get Well Soon!
All the staff spoke impeccable English, and were very attentive, and knowledgable about places to go. We stayed in the Aprile Room, a superior double on the same floor as the breakfast room. It was decorated in lilac and green, with a lovely view if the canal and the back of the Venice Opera House, and regular gondoliers.There is no lift, so be prepared for stairs (although there is a stairlift fitted).
Breakfast was plentiful, with a juicer for squeezing fresh orange juice. Coffee and tea available all day.
I would point out that there is no guarantee a superior room will mean free wine, although when we ordered (@20 euros!), it was brought to our room promptly with free nibbles.
Pluses-Location, decor, view from room, service and friendliness of the staff, and check out restaurants nearby, some real gems at reasonable prices.
Minuses-Bacon and eggs at breakfast in an unheated serving tray, but not much else to complain about.

Had a wonderful stay, able to walk around so much of Venice in a couple of days, but bring your walking shoes. A really enjoyable stay and a proper Venetian gem.

New London, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Having read the reviews on Tripadvisor I was worried that our expectations would be too high but I needn't have worried at all. This was our fifth trip to Venice, our favourite place in the world, but the first time we stayed at AD PLACE. We shall never stay anywhere else and I can't wait to go back. alessandro and his team were wonderful.The room was great, lots of details such as the Ipod station, the Deco is also great and its really well cleaned.
Thank you Ad place for such a memorable engagement, and hope to visit again soon.

New York, NY
Reviewed 8 April 2010

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon as part of a multi-city trip through Italy. Saving Venice for last, I was really excited about staying at the romantic-looking AD Place, based off the positive reviews I read. Boy was I mislead. This place is completely over-priced with many problems. Here is our overall impression, and I will start with the positive:

PROS:

-The decor is romantic, funky and trendy.
-The location is central to all the sites.
-Our room was very quiet, and, despite the laundry list of negatives to follow, we slept here better than any other city in Italy. However, we were so upset at the negatives, we didn't get to bed until 4AM!

CONS:
-Not clean. Let me be frank: There was a curly black pubic hair on the sheet, 3 very long, straight black hairs on the floor near the toilet, and (gag) a dried, white stain which looked like a bodily fluid on the fancy velvet bed pillow. DISGUSTING.

-Lip smudges on the glasses at the mini bar.

-Our minibar refrigerator broke down and everything was hot on our 2nd day. The concierge informed us to "keep the refrigerator door slightly ajar within the minibar cabinet, and it should work again." It didn't. WHAT??? I left a yogurt in there and had to throw it out.

-Our complimentary snacks were taken away the next day (these were prepackaged cookies and muffins, so my husband and I bet they were recycled back into the breakfast bin for the next day's use). And I wanted to take some with my in my bag during a long day of sightseeing! Hmph! Who ever heard of taking back a complimentary gift??

-The minibar - which is NOT complimentary- was never restocked. No water, no nothing.

-BREAKFAST: we were told breakfast is served from 7:30am-10:30am. First morning, we arrived at 10:10am. There were no eggs or bacon left, and I asked the unfriendly staff person if there were any eggs. He said no. He did not offer to make them for us. So we had no hot breakfast, which was included in our room price. The 2nd day, we arrived at 7:45am to be sure we had the eggs and bacon. The terse staff member (who wouldn't speak to us unless we spoke to him), was still preparing the eggs and bacon, and it was not ready. So it appears we showed up TOO early for hot breakfast the next day, even though on BOTH days, we arrived within the breakfast calling hours.

-The water system is strange, and every time you run water in the bathroom or flush the toilet, it makes this really loud, jarring sound. My husband was shaving very late at night upon our arrival and was very worried he was keeping up the other guests simply because he had to use the bathroom faucet! The jarring sound kept going off every few seconds. It sounded like a tuba.

-We payed for a room that included a bottle of champagne. We stayed two nights, and we arrived in the evening of our first night. After a long train ride and a stressful introduction to this hotel (hairs on bed, stains on pillow, noisy plumbing), I would have loved to have the bottle the first night. We were told we couldn't have it then, and that we would have to wait until tomorrow after we returned from dinner. Don't know about you, but after eating a 3-course meal in Venice, complete with wine and limoncello, who has room or sobriety for Prosecco at midnight??? We were refused what we paid for. So we drank the mini-bottle of prosecco in the minibar the first night and were informed that we would be charged for it unless we did not take the full-sized "complimentary" bottle the next night after dinner.

It appears the manager of this tiny hotel was nowhere to be found, and in my opinion, seems to be the root of the problem. If the owner cared about his/her inn, he/she would be on the premises to inspect the work of the cleaning staff, the plumbing, to be there for guests. It seems there was only one or 2 staff members on premises at a time.

We are not the complaining type, but I had to come and post this review. I only wish I had read a review like this before I reserved the room. It could have saved us a LOT of money, anxiety and frustration on an otherwise dreamy honeymoon!

We complained upon checkout, and the front desk clerk called the manager to explain the situation. We were given a very tiny refund, but compared to the price of the room, it was not worth it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
17 Thank flappergirl425
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Just came back from a 4-day trip to Venice over Easter weekend. I can confirm comments from others that Venice is EXPENSIVE .... though i was prepared, it was really quite shocking

We stayed in a junior suite on the 1st/4th floor ... think it was the Maggio room. The hotel has 2 rooms, which must be tiny & unfavourable on the ground floor, then you need to walk FOUR flights of stairs to get to the "1st floor", where there is a main room for breakfast/dining with 8 rooms situated off this room. 2 more rooms (large suites i think) are up another level

Positive:
- good size room with modern decor & great loft space ... ceilings were 11-12 feet with exposed beams
- lovely windows that opened onto the Canal
- location was perfect ... 5-10 minute walk to Piazza San Marco, yet not so close that you are suffocated by the crowds. Immediately adjacent to the opera
- i liked the 24 hour acces to coffee machine & snacks
- place was kept up properly & overall good housekeeping
- iPod stereo system in the room was very welcome

Negatives
- the staff was not effective or helpful ...
- Internet was down the entire trip (even thogh i called twice to confirm they had internet)
- each time i asked about the problem, they pretended to be confused OR lied
- asking them about dinner/spa recommendations OR how to get opera tix was a waste of time (again, the internet would have been helpful)
- when i was meant to speak to the manager, i was kept waiting for over an hour (whilst he was sorting other guests whose reservation was LOST)
- also not keen on the bathroom ... very narrow & the plumbing system (which may be a "charm" of Venice) made a terrible sound
- given the cost, i just dont see any value (though this is true of Venice in general)

Bar or restaurant would have been nice ... though you should be aware of what you are getting before you go ... if i went back to Venice, i would stay elsewhere

2 Thank DQC_76
Leeds
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I was expecting luxury and Venetian style, but for the price i paid feel slightly ripped off - there wasn't even a proper window in our room (just a dorma & velux), and the air conditioning unit (placed annoying next door to us) combined with the light sensors (2 of them) that flashed all night causing a very fitful first nights sleep. Not what you would expect from a pricey 4*. I would have rather paid £500 more and said in the Gritti or Luna Baglioni. I did however find the location of the hotel convenient (once we had found it). Sorry for the disappointing review, but i don't want others to be misled like i was by the other reviews on Trip Advisor.

1 Thank pinkdicko