“Would definitely stay here again”
Review of Palazzo Paruta

Palazzo Paruta
Ranked #72 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Alameda, California
“Would definitely stay here again”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel is 10 minute walk from St Marks so you Re away from the crowds. The hotel is a small hotel (13 rooms) with wonderful ambience. The rooms are good size although we did upgrade to a superior room based on trip advisor reviews. The breakfast is great as is the complimentary afternoon tea. The staff is very attentive and friendly - all around 5 stars!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Becky D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I used Tripadvisor to research this hotel before booking. I tend to read recent reviews (which were mainly good), some of the negative feedback and a few of the average reviews to get a balanced view. Also, FYI, I have NEVER actually rated a place before this. But this place was so EXCEPTIONAL! (my wife said it was the best place she has ever stayed) that I felt obligated to share my assessment.

We booked the regular room for Mother's day, May 11th. From the other inputs, it seemed the only concern (possibly?) was an attic room so I requested to kindly not be put in it if possible. To my great pleasure, I was informed by the very courteous staff, we had actually been upgraded to a junior suite (the blue one in the pictures)! Again, the staff was more than helpful throughout the stay. They tolerated my broken Italian with a smile (Yes, it is THEIR country, and maybe trying to speak THEIR language might have resulted in a better experience). Regardless, my experience was very positive, and definitely nothing like that reported in the negative reviews.

The room couldn't have been more fantastic. Exactly as advertised... 17th century, recently renovated. Bathroom was clean and modern. Bed was comfortable and the furnishings and decorations were unbelievable! I think we took more photos of the room than we did of the city! One of the reviews listed being awakened by noisy dishes during breakfast. Again, from the review, this was probably written by someone staying in the same room. As this is an old mansion, I assumed the kitchen was on the other side of the wall. We did hear dishes in the morning, but I've heard worse from room service carts going down a hallway! Also, it was probably around 8:00 a.m. In my mind, not an issue. If you want to sleep in, I'd recommend staying home!

Breakfast was good. Several reviews mentioned the bad OJ. This must have been fixed as mine was normal. We arrived at 2:00, and requested being allowed to have the tea (normally requires advanced notice). Again, this was confirmed with a smile. My wife is British and she gave it the thumbs up. Don't plan on this being your dinner; it is exactly as advertised, a nice afternoon tea.

Didn't use the water entrance so no comment on accessibility. Took the ACTV (line 1) which is a very short walk. Print out the map on the hotel’s site after zooming way in and you won't have any issue walking straight to it.

Finally, when checking out, the staff did advise me to visit their site directly next time. The purpose was to highlight that I could save in the future by avoiding the booking fees at the online sites. I mention this as someone again took this to be a dissatisfier in one of the reviews. My suggestion is to check both.

In summary, this hotel set the tone for the entire trip. My only regret is that writing such a nice review might result in it being more difficult for me to book it again in the future!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ExplornItaly
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have had a fantastic time in Venice and in particular at this hotel.
The staff are friendly and very helpful.
Our room was immaculate and very spacious.
Breakfast was very nice and there is plenty of choice.
Complimentary afternoon tea is also a nice touch not sure about the mushroom sandwiches though lol
Overall a fantastic experience and we certainly return to this lovely hotel

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from our third trip to Venice and we must say this hotel was by far the best we have stayed in. The room was large by Venice standards and the decor and ambience surpassed all our expectations. Breakfast was very nice and the staff were very helpful and curteous.
Our room was cleaned every day and was immaculate.
We will most certainly return to this wonderful hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob H
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We arrived via a private transfer from Marco Polo airport, stunning way to enter the city and would really recommend doing this ( the hotel charges 125euros to book this but there are several companies who do it for around 95, well worth it if you are travelling in a group.). The transfer booking through the hotel is to the hotel's front door but this is dependent on the lagoon tide water level so you may end up being dropped off at the pier any way.

Easy access to the hotel from the San angelo pier as detailed on their website, 3 min walk to San angelo sq and palazzo paruta is on the corner.

We were welcomed by very knowledgable staff who spoke excellent English. They were able to print tour vouchers for us. The courtyard is peaceful. We stayed in one of the suits with a canal view, stunning high ceilings with blue thick velvet curtains. The room was a highlight as we were only staying 3 nights so wanted to feel like we were in venice at all times. It's not cheap but is very good value for venice.

Breakfast had very good selection, the free afternoon tea each day was a nice touch. The service was a real highlight, they used the afternoon tea (4-5:30pm) time to do a turn down room service. For a fuller afternoon tea, the gritti palace does one for 38euro pp but it's not comparable to the London hotels.

Really easy walk to San Marco square, la fenice opera theatre (worth a day time tour if not fancying a whole opera) and Rialto. There are also good restaurants nearby that the hotel can recommend.

I'd also recommend taking a gondola from the canal outside the hotel, it does quieter routes- we made the mistake of getting a gondola from the grand canal and it was rushed, choppy and our gondolier repeatedly spat into the canal. Not romantic!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JK87145
Mordano
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Everything perfect: the location, the staff, the room. Not far from San Marco but out of the confusion. Very silent room and very confortable bed. The braekfast was great: good quality and a lot of things. I'll certainly come back to Palazzo Paruta.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elisa G
Orange, CT
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a small boutique hotel in the prime San Marco district, look no further. Nicely decorated, marble bathrooms, and lovely breakfast with service.

If you need direct access to a water taxi, this isn't going to work for you. Be prepared to drag your luggage across the piazza and up and down stairs. We were in a junior suite but had a limited canal view.

The location was great once settled in...5 minute walk to Saint Mark's square, 15 minutes to Rialto, and very close to water taxi next to San Angelo water taxi.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends