Ca' Pagan
  • Restaurant
US$331
US$281
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsquiet streetsan stefano squarevaporetto stopmarco pologuest houseboutique hotelour honeymoonsmall hotelrialto bridgepastriesmain sightsshort walkantique furniturelovely hotelwater taxideluxe roomvisit venice
Reviewed 21 April 2014

In spite of a number of good reviews and a trip adviser certificate of four and a half stars in 2013, the hotel let us down during our stay in a large number of ways and we left angry and disappointed.

On researching the hotel, we had decided to try and stay in the Marco Polo room, which looked out onto a nice little garden. We contacted the hotel in advance to request it specifically and received back a written confirmation that the room was indeed ours for the requested dates. On arrival, however, we were shown into a completely different room with the apparent explanation they cannot reserve specific rooms, in spite of the written confirmation!!

The replacement room had no bathtub and the view was out into a street from one window and the exterior wall of the next building from the other. It was still somehow a "superior" room and allegedly at the same price as the Marco Polo but I somehow don't believe it. The superior room does not figure on their website, which makes trusting their word the necessity.

When we expressed disappointment the hotel guy said we could have the requested room on the last day, but then changed his mind after actually checking the schedule. It seems the hotel should not promise things in writing to their guests without follow through, and this was a disappointment from the start. Note, when you book the rooms at this hotel, you book a specific room at a specific price, so the website is complicit in the disappointment, also. However, the hotel seem to feel free to chop and change the reservations at their whim and they are not acting in a respectable or professional manner by doing this. On this issue, we feel absolutely let down and there was no offer of a refund in difference. After staying at this hotel, we feel ripped off since the room we actually stayed in was not that nice.

Unfortunately, there were other problems as well. The room itself (number 107) was cold and the thick duvet mysteriously disappeared on the second day, taken by the cleaners. This was odd, we-ve never had linen disappearing before. In addition, the heating didn't work and the temperature didn't change to the one requested on the control panel so it wasn't that comfortable to be there. The room wasn't finished, either - the heavy ( and oppressive for such a small room ) black and gold decoration was unfinished around the windows and was already fraying in some places. The wooden skirting boards were just leaned up against the wall and there was a white plastic board which "fell open" to expose,what I presume to be live, electrical cabling in a messy junction box. This is obviously extremely HAZARDOUS to anyone with children in the room.

On the first morning, we awoke to find the WiFI not functioning, which was inconvenient, although it was mended by the end of the day. Although it still kept timing out when I was trying to stream YouTube, so not there were obvious bandwidth issues.

The main shower that broke on the second day remained unfixed. We had to use the heavy hand-held shower instead which felt a bit like being washed by hundreds of Mosquitos with it's tiny high strength jets all pricking into the skin. Using the bathroom was unpleasant. The toilet was located directly to the side of the handbasin, giving the whole bathroom a cramped feeling. And the door didn't close properly, either. The only place to put things was to balance the in a bidet and, even then, things kept falling off.

There was a smart little living room to walk through to get to the room with a few chairs and a big table. Nice to sit and relax in, I thought, until I tried to sit down and ended up falling onto the floor through an enormous hold in the thing. The sofa turned out actually to just be a wicker frame with a cushion draped over it, with absolutely no support underneath, like some kind of booby trap. The bannister on the wall up the stairs came off and clanged to the floor one night, considering the steepness of the stairs, this is pretty bad. The door card opens each door with a curt electronic buzz that reminded me of a prison block being opened up and, by the end of the stay, I realised the "prisoner cell block H" sound effects were more than ironic. You could hear the neighbors talking and walking overhead, which was also not relaxing.

Breakfast was a typical Italian affair, being a choice between an expresso, tea, bread, cereal or cakes. They did have boiled eggs but had not advised us of the egg shortage in advance. On the second day we were a little later downstairs to the breakfast room and there were no eggs left. "Are there any more?" I asked hopefully. The woman looked at me, looked at the empty basket, then back at me and just said "no" and that was that. Clearly boiling another egg for a hotel guest was out of the question.

Another issue with food and drink was that we missed breakfast altogether on the last day in favour of a lie in. When we got downstairs, the reception guy helpfully offered us a cup of coffee and called through to the owner in the breakfast room if it was possible. She curtly replied "no - the machine is turned off" which is a pretty pathetic response for a place charging 225 EUR a night for a room we didn't want. On the subject of the staff, everyone there seemed friendly and honest except the owner who, we realized, didn't directly acknowledge us a single time during our stay.

This is false advertising in it's prime and this hotel should be investigated. We made a booking based on a price and description on the website, yet received a different room with many problems once we arrived. It's unprofessional and untrustworthy. I think this behaviour is unscrupulous - I suspect they lure your booking with an expensive room and nice view, yet on arrival, they allocate a cheaper room that they probably could not charge so much for. The apartment we ended up in was not even in the main hotel but shared a doorway with some offices next door so who knows how many sub-standard apartments they own and push onto unsuspecting tourists.

In it's favour, the location is great ( although they get no marks for that) . Just a minutes walk from a taxiboat stop and quite central. The hotel guy gave us some fantastic restaurant recommendations but unfortunately the whole replacement room scam, compounded by the wifi, the shower, the temperature and potential near electrical death experiences leave me no other choice but to give this hotel the lowest rating possible.

In summary, I would seriously question the validity of the 4 and a half stars from last year, I suspect they have some amenable friends in the area or perhaps received ratings from travelers unaware of the standards they could be receiving for that price. We will not be booking this hotel again or recommending it. Kindly note, other reviews on this website also mention the hotel not honoring the requested room, my biggest regret is not taking them seriously and we intend to write to them separately to ask for a full explanation.

Room Tip: Pot luck. The owners cannot be trusted to give you the requested room even when you get the confirmation in writing.
9  Thank Matthew F
mariopagan, Proprietario at Ca' Pagan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest,

I’ll start my reply saying that the first thing that you have pointed out in your review is that you would have directly contacted our facility to get more explanations for how much you support have happened, and I have to say that so far we have not received any e-mail (and this is also the reason why we have been slow in writing it! We are still waiting...). Then I like to make clear that, in our turn, we have sent immediately, after we have read the review, a personal e-mail to you where we did apologize for what had happened and that we would offer to stay again at Ca' Pagan at our expenses, showing how important is for us the relationship with our guests.

In some points that you have indicated, I admit that there have been mistakes from our side and that's why we send our most sincere apologies, asking you to contact us, as we have wrote earlier, so we will be glad to invite you to Ca' Pagan for three nights at our expenses.

The points where I agree with you are the followings: the room has been changed compared to the requested at the time of booking and the broken armchair.
Regarding the room change I can justify what happened with the mere fact that the request was not properly highlighted by our staff at the time of booking, so it dropped into the void, and for this, in particular, I regret very much. It is also true, however, that we have assigned a room in the SAME CATEGORY of your reservation. At the check-in, on the arrival day, you went to reception to complain that you had not been granted for the requested room and indeed you have claimed to be in a lower category room (to be precise in the “Classic”). It was shown to you the room “Classic” and you have stated that you were actually in a “Superior” room, not that one exactly requested in the reservation, but still a “Superior”. So it is true that we were wrong in not awarding the room specifically requested, but we still have assigned a room in the same category of reservation.
As for the armchair I cannot say anything but our apologies. It would have to be removed, but for our oversight it has not been done. We are deeply sorry!

In relation with the rest I don't agree in totality.
Trying to follow the points listed by you, so these are my answers:

- No bath tub:
there is nothing to say. In some of our rooms there is a bathtub, in other rooms there is the shower, and it is written on our website . You would have found the shower also in the room that you had requested.

- Room without a view of the garden:
the category of room (in our case) does not depend on the fact that there is or there is not a nice view out the window. Venice is full of very narrow streets, where windows overlook a lot of hotels, you cannot change the topography of the city... However, one of the most popular rooms of Ca' Pagan, which is a higher category (the Casanova, the Deluxe category), is located in a very narrow street..

- Online booking disappointing:
when you run a booking through our website, you do it by booking the category of the room and not the name itself. The host at the time of booking may ask to prefer a room rather than another, but then Ca' Pagan's choice will be based on availability. In his case, however, I repeat again, it was our mistake, even giving you a room of the exact same category.

- Disappointment with the room assigned:
as I mentioned before, the room is the exact same category of that one request. I'm sorry if you did not liked the decoration of the room, but they are personal considerations, and nothing more. I could say that I may like or I may not like something, but then it's up to me to choose whether or not to give it up. If you have told immediately that you would not agree to stay at Ca' Pagan, and requesting for a refund, we could have accommodate you since the error was from our part, but no request ever arrived to us, while you remained with us for three days. It makes no sense that you write that you feel ripped off, because you would have to submit the request for refund. How can we tell if you are unhappy about something, if you do not speak out?

- Cold room and blankets missing:
All rooms are air conditioned and have independent temperature controller. If that did not work, it was enough easy to call the front desk from your room to get help. If you did this there would be no problems. Also in every room upon arrival our guests find the bed covered with a rich fabric bedspread matched with the colors of the room. This is not a blanket, then, the day after the arrival is removed. However, since we do not want our guests to die because of cold, in addition to the blanket that there is already in the bed (under the fabric bedspread), in the closet of each room there is another very heavy blanket and two extra pillows.

- Decorations, wooden skirting boards, electrical box:
as I’ve said before , I'm sorry you did not like the decorations, but it's an opinion, nothing more. I admit that the fabric of the room at the point of his photography was frayed, but that detail is definitely not enough to spoil the entire room. However, due to your observation we have provided to fix it. Same thing for the skirting of wood (it is just a little piece and it is not for all the room!). In relation to the electrical box, I have to say that you were quite rude, because that box was firmly attached to the wall and, honestly, I found tacky even to try to pull out the electrical cable box to take a picture to prove what you’ve said in the review.

- Wi-Fi:
it is a free service that we offer. That day there were problems with the line, and it was quickly resolved. I would like also to underline that Venice is not New York City or any other city around the world! I mean that there are really a lot of difficulties to obtain a flat DSL line in the city, so, If you use Youtube, it's normal that sometimes the connection could be slow. It's not our fault, it's just a little inconvenient of one of the most beautiful city in the world...

- Shower faucet, mosquitoes:
the day of your arrival it has been reported this issue. We provided to change the piece (which, as you can see in your photo, is in golden and not in the silver color. This because, during the Easter holidays, it is difficult to find suppliers opened with the piece that we need!). After it was loose only from your use and just for this reason it was not working (honestly I have yet to understand how it was possible, because it was a new piece!). Mosquitoes could be a normal thing in Venice, but not in springtime and, particularly, not in a bathroom. Anyway if you have just advised us, we could give you an electronic device to stick to the electric current.

- Door that opens with an electronic hum like a prison cell:
also this is a simple opinion. I do not know where else you've stayed, but in all the hotels nowadays there are these types of doors, so I think you will have to get used to it.

- Another typical Italian affair:
it is not so. Ca' Pagan offers its guests breakfast from 8.30 to 10.30. These times are called upon check -in and are written in the brochure that is found in every room. The day when you asked for eggs, you've arrived at 10.40. Make more eggs when they were finished, it would mean that it took twenty minutes to boil water and cook, delaying other tasks of staff and in any case there were other dishes, both sweet and savory and NOT JUST A TYPICAL ITALIAN AFFAIR. What does it mean? The day of departure you have arrived and asked to have breakfast at 11.10, the owner, who you say that has been so rude with you, is the person who has consented so that you could have breakfast although the breakfast time was over. I would say that is your pathetic attempt to say things that are untrue. If there are timetables that must be met, must be respected, or it would be enough to warn or ask at reception, and here I repeat what I said before.

I'm sorry that these reviews are published. Not so much for the negative score or criticism - these are always welcome if you need to improve - but for the content of hatred and malice that have: how much you can afford to say that advertising is misleading and even that the hotel should be analyzed? How much you can afford to say that more than three hundred reviews with the highest score is the result of an alleged request of the owners to their friends or even guests who have written have been deceived? I did not know that I, my family or the staff who work with us, were of illusionists! We are real magician, what a surprise!

At the end I find this review to be counterproductive in many ways: it is full of bias and assumptions that have no foundation. It even tries to make it even more impressive with all the pictures posted, as if to make more tangible the inconvenience. I find ridiculous in these cases, also because most of all these events listed, if not all, could have been resolved within a few minutes without any problem.

Mario Pagan

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed for 2days at this hotel.
This hotel was great!!
The owner is very good and kind person.
When we checked in, he explained about the view of whole Venice by using city map.
Thanks to him, we could trip in Venice without almost losing the way.
This hotel locates very close to SAN SAMUELE, boat station.
At breakfast, staff made some warm food for us.
All quipments of this hotel, shower, bath, bed, were good.
I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank osatoru
Reviewed 19 April 2014

A welcoming and helpful staff. The rooms are beautifully decorated and you get a good breakfast to set you up for the day. There was a mix up with the booking of our room (double booked) but this was easily resolved with an upgrade for us to another room. The guest house is in a quiet side street and has an intimate feel to it which we liked.

1  Thank Juliebaby
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had a great stay at Ca Pagan - the room was really pretty, seems newly renovated as everything was so fresh and clean, lovely romantic Venetian style. Service was perfect, extremely helpful and kind staff, really bringing us the little extra.

2  Thank Sofia723
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Lovely hotel right in the heart of Venice, the perfect location to wander the streets and see all the main attractions in one weekend. Room was gorgeous, straight out of 19th century. The hotelier was very helpful. Perhaps the only downside is the entrance to the main rooms. The renovation hasn't been finished. A complete staircase with carpet and painted walls would have been nice. Small but important detail paying this amount of money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family