“Not just a restaurant, what a great family run business”

Trattoria Al Gazzettino
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Trattoria Al Gazzettino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 1,470 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Marco
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I can't say enough about this restaurant, most definately the best meal we had while in Venice. While small and a little difficult to find, you will not regret your efforts. While trying to find a local place and a little disappointed with some of the restaurants along the canal we stumbled upon this place. Asking the owner if the fish was good, he said if you don't like you don't pay, if you like you pay double. He was a very pleasant man, we decided to leave our menu choices in his hands and what a great idea. He served us an array of fish as an appetizer, one more delicious than the next, served with polenta and some other sides. Our main course was also grilled fish and fried fish. The fried fish was a delicate fry and the grilled fish was beyond good. Both served with various sides, including vegetables and polenta. Though full we decided to try the tiramisu, great call, quite different than others we've had in the states, yum! We thought we were done and no additonal room, but they brought us out a shot of grappa and some cookies. While sitting there enjoying the evening they also brought us out a milk shake type drink with lemon. No clue what it was but so delicious. Tables are close so we quickly made friends with other tables. Even though I sent a wine glass flying across the floor the staff and owers were so kind, taking pictures with us along with the cheesy Venice hats. We really had a great time along with incredible food.

1  Thank Terry M
Write a ReviewReviews (5,386)

Reviewed 25 September 2013

After seeing the reviews on this restaurant I was excited about having dinner here. My friend ordered vegetable soup since she was not really hungry and was mostly there so I could eat dinner. The very arrogant owner or waiter was not happy that she only wanted soup and pushed her into ordering pasta as well.... very uncomfortable and obnoxious. I ordered shrimp scampi which was 19E and a caprese salad. When my scampi came I couldn't believe how little was on my plate. There were four shrimp and literally it was two bites of food! The entire meal and service was disappointing ... I cannot recommend this restaurant! I might suspect that some of the reviews of this restaurant are false.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were taken to this little gem by another Restauateur who couldn't offer a Gluten-Free menu for my wife. The atmosphere is lively with the staff making a great fuss of all their customers. We only had a pasta course and a dessert but it was fabulous and the food that came out to other tables looked and smelt gorgeous. As with everywhere in Venice, it wasn't cheap (about 40 Euros for the 2 courses each and a couple of glasses of wine) but the atmosphere, service and quality made it fair value.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

On our last afternoon in Venice we decided to attend La Traviatta at Scuola Grande di San Teodoro that night, and we knew our time for dining would be short, but we wanted a special place for a special dinner. Trattoria al Gazzettino was just a few steps from our apartments, and it had appealed to us through the window for its cozy and homey atmosphere. I stepped in and asked a smiling gentleman (who turned out to be the owner) if the chef could prepare pasta alla puttanesca, a favorite dish of mine which Cheryl had never tried, and he without hesitation replied in the affirmative. We told him we would be back, and went on to continue our final souvenir shopping. Upon our return a couple hours later, he beamed at us in recognition, ushered us with a flourish to a table, and had a waiter at our side in seconds. Delicate and tasty bruschetti were immediately served as a complimentary appetizer while we selected our wine and perused the menu. We chose to share a zuppa di frutti di mare for starters, and it was delicious, with a flavorful broth and brimming with crab, mussels and sweet baby clams. Upon its completion, our puttanesca was served, and it was everything I had hoped for. Steaming pasta done to perfection, with a custom-prepared sauce of garlic, oil, tomatoes, black olives, capers and anchovies. We were stuffed, but I felt the need for a palate-cleansing refreshment, so we each had that delightful Italian confection, lemon sorbet in a frozen lemon shell, which was exactly the right choice. We took some time to converse with the affable owner and thanked him profusely for his special service, at which he produced his wife from the kitchen, and introduced her to us as his chef. It was she who had so graciously gone off-menu on a busy night to satisfy the request of two grateful guests. We thanked her and the attentive staff, and bid them all "arrividerci", for we certainly intend to revisit this charming little restaurant on next year's return to Venice.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by the manager of the hotel we stayed at in Venice. What an amazing place. We went on Sunday for lunch. The place was packed. The service and food were outstanding! The place is run by a family. Marco and Marghretta and both work in the restaurant. We felt like we were part of the family. We could not have been treated any nicer. It was so great that we went back the next day for dinner to celebrate our last night in Venice. We met a group of Americans who were on a tour and the enjoyed their evening an dinner so much they were making plans to return for lunch the next day. This is a place one should not miss.

2  Thank Jean O