“Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Artigianato d'Arte di Vianello Mauro

Artigianato d'Arte di Vianello Mauro
Ranked #9 of 276 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: To purchase my studio is open from Monday to Saturday from 10.30 To 18.00. On request and payment I perform demonstrations with explanations of the production process for up to 5 people.
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We visited at the beginning of June as my boyfriend and I had never seen glass being blown before and we weren't keen on taking a trip to Murano for the short time we had in Venice. It was my boyfriend who emailed in advance to set the time to see this.

Mauro was lovely and showed us a demonstration of blowing a shell (we even went back later and saw it finished). He let us know what he was doing and spoke about glass blowing in general and it was very fascinating. Was too blown away to think of any questions to ask.

It was 20 euros per person for the glass blowing demonstration but if you buy something Mauro will take the 20 euros off what you purchase. Which was a good deal as i couldn't help but buy an adorable glass penguin. My boyfriend decided he had to have a blue dragon which looked amazing and he even gave him 5 euros back and told him to go buy me a coffee!

When you buy something Mauro is sure to package it up safely into a box that is padded well with cotton and our glass figures were able to arrive home in one piece. I felt I didn't have to worry about them when they were so well wrapped.

Was a lovely experience and we would be sure to go back if we ever visit Venice again.

Visited June 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Kaneohe, Hawaii
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Wow! What a Treat in Venice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Add my family and me as new fans of Mauro Vianello. Based on the glowing (and rightly deserved) reviews on TripAdvisor, we scheduled (in advance) a private glass-blowing demonstration with Mauro while we were in Venice in early July 2014. His quaint studio on Calle dei Morti resonated with an endearing, old-school ambience. We found Mauro to be charismatic and funny, a great storyteller and impassioned about his craft. We were fortunate to get two demos! During those 20-30 minutes (I lost track of time); we stood amazed as this master craftsman weaved his magic with Murano glass as he created a lifelike angelfish and a beautifully intricate conch shell. I was equally amazed that Mauro didn’t scald his bare fingers as they hovered time and again within a hair’s breadth from the blow torch as he narrated about what he was doing, accompanied by jokes and philosophical tidbits about life. We would have purchased those two glass figurines, but they needed to cool overnight and we were leaving Venice early next morning. We did buy a couple of items – a beautiful puffed-up heart for my daughter and a penguin for me (more as a memento). As other reviewers have commented, some of the figurines in Mauro’s studio are quite costly, but to see them in person, you would know why. The price for the demo (€20 per person) – which was well worth it – was deducted from the purchases. I highly recommend visiting Mauro when in Venice. It is a must-see event, and for my family, one of the top highlights while we traveled through Italy. Thank you, Mauro!

Visited July 2014
4 Thank ZayneZ
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Honour to watch a craftsman at work”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I emailed Mauro a couple of weeks before our visit and booked an appointment for a demonstration. Mauro is a very friendly, skilled, craftsman who is obviously passionate about his work and is more than happy to share his experience and knowledge with you during a demonstration. We thoroughly enjoyed watching him create a gondola, our subject choice but with no pressure to purchase, from a stick of Murano glass, pure skill.
Thank you Mauro.

Visited June 2014
Orlando, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Mauro is amazing! Truly a wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My sister, mom and I just recently visited in May of 2014 to Venice, Italy. I had never seen glass blown before so I looked up the reviews on Tripadvisor to see where I could see a glass blowing demonstration. To my surprise, I came across many reviews of Mauro and his glass studio located in Venice, Italy! I arrived the day of the demonstration and Mauro even waited and stayed open late for me, my mom and my sister for the glass blowing demonstration! As we didnt get in till late the day of the demonstration we hurridly ran over to the studio because he was waiting for us. Our hotel was located right near the studio so that was very convenient! The demonstration was out of this world! Mauro made a seashell during the demonstration and told us every step of the way what he was doing while making it. It was a great experience! Mauro has a great personality as well so the demonstration was extremely fun and we joked a lot. I bought a glass duck from his studio and he even enscripted my name on the bottom of it! This is truly a great item to bring back from Venice, Italy. My sister and mom bought items as well. The studio has a variety of glass blown figurines and many to choose from. I will definetly be back to see Mauro when I visit Venice, Italy again! The demonstration was $20 euro a person but well worth the cost.

Stephanie

Visited May 2014
3 Thank Sessyb123
glasshandmade, Proprietario at Artigianato d'Arte di Vianello Mauro, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thanks to you all for your reviews .. I remember that
The cost is € 20 per person, to a maximum of 4/5 people, children included. For children up to 10 it's free, up from 10 € 10 each. Very important .... In case you buy something the € 20 will be deducted from your purchase.
thanks again

Mauro Vianello
Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I found Mauro here on TripAdvisor when I was looking for a more authentic glass experience than I had my first time I went to Venice when I went to Murano and felt disappointed. I emailed Mauro well before I left and set my appointment and he was waiting for me when I arrived and actually closed the door so no one would disturb.

As other reviews have said, it's an absolutely fascinating experience to spend about 45 minutes watching a master up close. It was even more fascinating to talk to him about how he got into glassblowing (trained as an accountant but always dreamed of making glass), and how the process works. At the end, he somehow has finished (making it look way to easy) a cute little clownfish! Yes, Mauro's items are expensive compared to all the ubiquitous imported junk you see all over Venice, but one look at the quality and craftsmanship and love that goes into it and you know it's worth it. Some of the items are really quite expensive but there are affordable items as well and if you buy something the demonstration fee is waived.

Absolutely fantastic experience that I will remember and cherish forever!

Visited May 2014