“Canal view cheap room”
Review of Hotel Canal

Hotel Canal
Ranked #246 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We just want a cheap room with a canal view. If you want the same it's enough. The receptionists were kind but the staff at the breakfast room was so rude and make you feel you're someone that disturbs her. The bathroom was so dirty. The bed was clean but it slips.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,350)

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed 2nights in hotel Canal, their rooms are well designed,having a fine wiev but the only problem is in rooms they dont have a plug. I didnt charge my phone in 2days and this is very bad because I didnt contact with my husband during my last days in Venice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
htlcanalvenezia, Direttore at Hotel Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

I would like to thank you for your review and for having written that the hotel has their "rooms are well designed, having a fine wiev". I'm sorry about the plugs but it seems impossible that you didn't find them in the room because in every room there are 5 sockets: 1 next to each table, 2 behind the tv and minibar and 1 inside bathroom.
To recharge your phone you could ask the front desk that would definitely help. All the staff of the Hotel Canal and me we are sorry for this unexpected

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This Hotel is fairly good. Good location, just few metres away from the Bus Station. I recommend as a budget hotel, but I was a little bit disappointed with heated water. I complained twice with reception that heated water was not good and although plumber repaired personally in our room to fix he did not manage to. He stated that water boiler could not be set up higher. Therefore we had to have unpleasant baths, with cold water. Apart this all was fine, good breakfast, very clean and helpful staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Would really recommend HotelCanal for your stay on Venice. Obviously rates are amazing, but it's great, great location, great staff, brekkie was much much better than I expected, you could have as much as you like, no one hovering over you, room was exactly as photographed, certainly old, bed and pillow were more comfy than many on this trip, had room overlooking th Grande Canal, with bar fridge, bath and bidet, I mean, as an Aussie, what more can you ask for, oh and clean towels every day... Superb !!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had a very good experience. Location was our priority and the location of Canal hotel completely satisfied our needs and desires. All in all the hotel contributed to spend a good time in Venice. We would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I chose to go to the Canal Hotel again because the experience first time around was pretty good. My disabled friend was well catered for with a first floor room with stairs leading to the nearby dining room. This time we had breakfast 'al fresco' every morning, bar one, and met some very nice people mostly travelling onward by way of cruise ships. Noticeably from New Zealand and Australia.

This end of the Grand Canal with its new glass foot bridge and luxury shops, forms a triangle with the bus station and railway station, all within site of the hotel and vice versa and practically impossible to get lost. No! the hotel did not have a lift, most do not, but that makes no difference to the main point that it is so very well positioned. If you are travelling to Venice for the first time, the Canal Hotel has to be one of the main contenders for perfect location..

I visit Venice most years and never grow tired of it, what is there not to like. If you tell anyone you are going to Venice, the retort is usually it smells, an opinion based on no substance whatsoever and a relic from the dark ages. So with the Famous Venice Film Festival, and Regatta Storica, and fishing in the extremely clean waters you can put them right with the voice of experience and state, "Venice does not smell". Another old chestnut, you cannot drink the water, on the contrary you can and there are drinking fountains all over the city to refill those empty bottles of expensive water. In fact why bother to lumber yourself with bottles, just drink straight from the fountains.

Do not be put off my by anyone, the crowds are part of the fun and there are many quiet venues off the beaten track. No point going to Venice just to be alone unless it is the depth of winter. Best times to visit are no later than mid June and then not until September. My advice is to listen to no one and find out the facts for yourselves.

If you want to compare Venice with then and now, around 1945, there is an excellent film called 'Summer Madness', staring Kathryn Hepburn which says in pictures what must be the many opinions expressed through the ages about the extraordinary City of Venice. Venture further if you have the time. Padua and Verona are not too far away by train.

Room Tip: Rooms are always at a premium in Venice so the only advice I can offer is book early.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank David_B503904
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My family had a one night stay before a cruise at Hotel Canal and it was PERFECT. First, it was very close to Piazza Roma so our kids (6 & 9) had no problem walking with their bags to the hotel. Second, the reception was very friendly and efficient. The room was large enough to accomodate four beds and the view over the canal was wonderful. Breakfast was huge and held us till dinner. They held our bags so we could explore Venice before going to the ship. No elevator so keep your bags light and the bathroom is small (like most Euro Hotels) but overall the room was large and clean - this was our 4th trip to Venice and I would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a room with a canal view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family