“Excellent Stay at the Palazzo Giovanelli” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli
Ranked #131 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Houston
“Excellent Stay at the Palazzo Giovanelli”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

My family and I were in Venice from June 8 to June 11 and stayed at the Palazzo Giavanelli. After substantial hotel research, we booked our reservation some months before by direct communication with Domenico FORT, the hotel manager. We had asked for the junior suite with an extra roll away bed as we were traveling with our son and wanted the extra room. We arrived around 7pm on the 8th as we were driving from Florence and had to return the rent car. Returning the rent car, we took the canal bus to S. Stae – right next door to the hotel (17 euro pp). No sweat.

Upon check in, our room was beautiful, but, we thought, on the smallish side for the junior suite. We mentioned to the night manager that we thought our room was beautifully appointed, and the views spectacular (top floor, canal views), but that we thought our room would be somewhat larger. He noted our comments, and suggested we speak to the assistant manager the next morning. Next morning, going down to breakfast, we spoke to the assistant manager, and much to our surprise… he upgraded us to the PRESIDENTIAL SUITE! Wow! What a treat! This room is enormous, and fabulously appointed. It truly is a “palace” within the Palazzo Giavanelli.

Our stay at the hotel was no less than perfect – every request met by the staff with courtesy and a smile. Wake up calls on time, excursion questions answered fully (they arranged a private taxi for us for a half day trip to Murano that brought us directly back to the hotel – no charge!).

Breakfasts were more than adequate and supplied fully.

Oscar at Murano was an excellent guide to explain the history of glass blowing artisan creations, and did not pressure us to purchase anything. However, after viewing the beautiful collections, we happily purchased some glass works for shipment back home.

We think the hotel has a perfect, central location – close to the Rialto Bridge (7 minute walk max), but, importantly, away from the traffic hustle and bustle. Many fine restaurants nearby to choose from, and has a nice outside sitting area to relax when the weather is right.

Our stay at the Palazzo Giavanelli could not have been better, and we thank Domenico FORT and his staff for such a memorable stay. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for your stay in Venice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rick W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
Halifax. England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at this wonderful hotel.The room was of a good size light and bright overlooking the garden. The staff were great and really helpful. The two ladies who run breakfast were so lovely. The hotel is in a great location, opening up a totally new area of Venice to us. There are loads of places to visit on the doorstep as well as lovely places to eat. Thank you for a lovely stay, we would definitely stop here agian.

Room Tip: We stopped in 101 overlooking the garden - very quiet no noise from the canal.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

We have just returned from Venice, having stayed at Palazzo Giovanelli. My general consensus is that it is a lovely hotel set on the canal. The decor and furnishings is a whole lot better than depicted in the images.

The staff, not the most warm at first, can become quite friendly and I would even suggest helpful. I think it's the Venetian attitude rather than being isolated to this hotel, so accept it and go with it.

We were in Venice to celebrate my wife's birthday. Upon arrival, I became very sceptical on how I was going to pull off a simple celebration. It took me numerous visits to the reception and a few more smiles to get them to arrange a cake, bubbly and flowers for my wife. All my efforts were not in vain. They managed to secure a small cake for us and even provided the bubbly on-the-house!

There are a bunch of trattorias hidden around and about the hotel so venture out and you will be surprised on what you find.

I would give it 5 stars but nothing is perfect!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed here in May 2013 for our anniversary trip – booked the junior suite with canal view (rm107) for 3 nights. Overall very impressed with the hotel and would recommend. The room we had is directly above the private landing jetty at the front of the hotel so we had a fantastic view of the Grand canal and the constant flow of boats going past. The only slight downside is that because we were only on the 1st floor its quite noisy and as you are right next to San Stae bus stop the buses start arriving just after 5am so don’t expect much of lie-in. However saying that, the room was fantastic with large comfortable bed & great shower. Wish there was a kettle supplied but we took our own having read other reviews.
We were supplied with 2 types of towels which I know has been an issue with a number of people. Breakfast was perfect for us – good spread of meats, bread rolls, croisassants, scrambled eggs and bacon, cereals & jams etc and there was more than enough to eat as its buffet style with friendly staff to supply tea & coffee.
I think our only minor grumble was the reception staff who most definitely have not been to charm school. If you asked a question you got an answer but when you walked by to enter or leave the hotel they totally blanked you which in a way became quite amusing after a while.
Location is perfect for getting around by boat and we found 2 very nice Trattorias within 10 mins stroll. We had a 72hr ticket for the ACTV boats and also included the Vaporetto Dell’Arte pass for 10 Euros which was absolutely brilliant with empty boats all day long and stopped at San Stae
Overall had a fantastic stay and would love to go back soon

2 Thank Pete747
the big blue marble
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

First, the hotel, which I'd have given 4 dots if it had not been for the service.
The hotel is next to a vaporetto stop, which means it is very noisy, very early in the morning.
The breakfasts were fantastic.
The decor looks better in the photos than in reality, especially the art on the walls.
The evening room where you can hang out on the Grand Canal is not particularly nice.

Now, the service, which I don't give a star, at all.
1/ We were in Venice for a very special event. I emailed the hotel weeks before our arrival explaining the purpose of our visit and requesting they help me make an appointment at a hair salon near the hotel. They never replied. A week before departure I called the manager and asked him to help me. He told me that the local salons did not take appointments and it would be impossible. When I arrived the concierge handed me the business card of a salon. I went immediately to check it out, but they were already booked for the entire weekend!!!
2/ Before our arrival I also emailed about a water taxi from the airport. I was nervous about pre-paying, and I'd have preferred to have done it through the hotel. They replied immediately to this request, informing me it was 200€, which is DOUBLE the cost of booking it myself.
3/ Our special even was in a private palazzo not far from the hotel. I wanted to arrive via gondola, because I'd be wearing stilettos. They informed me that that cost would be prohibitive and never suggested a water taxi. The next day I asked them to help me book a water taxi. They told me this would not be an option. We arrived at the party and the palazzo (I'd given the invitation, they had googled the address and seen it on a map) was on a major water way and it was not a problem at all!!!
4/ There is a bar, but absolutely NO SNACKS. Fine, but not my idea of four star accommodation.
5/ One night we needed a last minute, rather late dinner suggestion and they recommended a
horrible tourist dive around the corner, instead of the decent bistro across the street (where we went).
Really, we could have stayed at a Novotel for the kind of service we received.

Room Tip: We had a room on the corner, overlooking the Grand Canal. Pretty, but LOUD!!!!
3 Thank phread
Giovanellivenice, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Customer,
Thank you also for the compliments and for the Hotel for breakfast.
We are a bit 'worried, and we can prove what we have to say, We had responded to its request for information the hairdresser. We explained that the close hairdresser did not take appointments having to serve their regular clientele.
We also insist with the owner and he told us that and 'a small shop and could not agree to find a place.
He handed over his business card for her that presented itself, without any warranty.
So 'happened. It is a small shop.
She asked us for our transfer service to custom, and that is managed through a local agency authorized that offers the service with hostess or steward for the care of luggage, and with the car type Mercedes, for the transfer from the airport to the pier.
We have also provided you with all the information, which are also present in our site, how to get to the hotel by public transport.
It 'us as a hotel, neither you can directly reserve a taxi on call.
The water taxi on call, you can 'take when it is at the time and does not include the service and luggage assistance and transfer to the pier.
We have no record in our report requests will gondolas' of our comments are not required.
However, we can confirm that the gondola service we offer is for a fixed route cannot be changed. For about 40 minutes with departure from the hotel and releases at the foot of the Rialto Bridge.
In general, if the customer wants a different route to your destination precise, we should call the gondolier for the price, which is variable and at the discretion of the gondolier.

If you like all the other clients ask us a water taxi, we call it as it is proposed in our services and communicate the price that we are required, according to the route of travel.

Our bar serves all kinds of snacks usual, olives and chips. And even small snacks freshly prepared, hot and cold, to order.
We have been able to verify that she has consumed a drink from the mini bar in the room. In the rooms, to the bar, there are no snacks.
Of course they can be made to order.
Accordingly to our information present in the room the clients can require our '' Delicatezze basket''
see here the advertise ....
Here we send the Annex selection of small restaurants that are located in the vicinity of 'hotel, and that we have selected.
They are constantly monitored through feedback from our customers, and reviews.
Please check if the restaurant you mentioned and 'between them.
Please input the name of the restaurant that you and 'most liked', if not 'on the list, with your permission, we will include it.
Oakham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, we came off a cruise and treated ourselves to a water taxi to avoid massive queues for water buses. It was a treat to arrive at the front door on the grand canal, just as well as we would never have found it down the Venice streets. It was well situated for the waterbus for sightseeing and our departure to railway station. It was also only a 10 minute walk to the Rialto Bridge, but make sure you get a good map as the one provided by the hotel is useless.
A big mistake was not specifying the room as we ended up on the fifth floor which was the attic,the lift having finished on the fourth floor.the room was clean and the bedding very nice, also the bathroom was top notch. The main window was a velux in the roof,so no views,except the window of the house opposite ,the room was very hot and had air conditioning,but we were told this would not be switched on until 15 May.so the options were stay hot, or open the roof window,wave to the man opposite avoid the Mosquitos visiting ( suggest they get a mosquito net for window)also as happened on our second night get wet when it rains.There was a small window tucked around the corner which was of limited help. There were not tea making facilities in the room either .
The wifi at 10 euros (other hotels on Italy offered this free) operated well as long as you stayed on the first four floors. We just gave up with the TV. We really enjoyed the gondola ride arranged by the hotel from their front door. The breakfast was fine,

Room Tip: Avoid fifth floor
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank chris S
san jose
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

My mom and I were staying in Venice for one night following a Mediterranean cruise. We had actually booked another hotel, but they had some problems and sent us to Palazzo Giovanelli. This hotel is very nice in an excellent location. Right on the Grand Canal and SO close to the San Stae stop. We also walked from the Rialto bridge back to the hotel and it was an easy walk, no problems.
The lobby is beautiful and check-in was easy. We were too early for actual check-in but they took our bags. I'm not sure where they held the bags, although my mom thought they were just in the small lobby area just off the elevator. There was a lovely courtyard that had little tables and it was peaceful to sit in for a few minutes.
When we did check-in later the bellhop had already taken our bags up to our room, which was really nice to not have to do that ourselves. We were in room 401, which had one good sized window that overlooked the courtyard. 2 single beds were SO close together and actually shared the top blanket. A little bit of space on either side to move around. There was a nice desk that held the small flat screen tv and then a comfy armchair was also in the room. Closet space was decent and there was an area to put the suitcase on.
Bathroom was nice. If we had been there for more than one night I would have loved to have taken a bath. There was a toilet and a bidet and our room had a single large sink with a lot of counter space. Shower was a little bit odd, there was a string to pull to get hot water out of the shower head, but nothing to explain this, luckily I figured it out.
Oddest thing about the room/bathroom was there was a window in the shower that looked out into the room, right at the head of the bed. There was a curtain in the window on the bedroom side, but it was pretty sheer. Directly across from that window was the window that overlooked the courtyard. While I was in the shower I could look out and clearly see the bed as well as out the window. I can imagine that the view into the shower was just as easy to see as the view out was. If you're a couple staying here, it would be fine, but if you're not with you're spouse/partner then it's a tiny bit odd.
It was not explained to us that they don't turn on the air conditioning. The thermostat only went down to 18 celsius and I was too tired to figure out the conversion, but the room was pretty warm as it had been in the 70s during the day. With the window open, it was comfortable and would have been just fine... except there was a terrible smell that came in through the window. It was unclear what the smell was from and it was not constant. It would kind of come and go oddly enough. It was a bit sewage-y mixed with rotten food. It made it unpleasant to have the window open, which was really too bad.
They do have a complimentary 'American Breakfast' that was alright. Not a huge selection as mentioned before but still nice and saved us a few euros.
Overall it was a great hotel, I would absolutely recommend it. We found the location to be extremely convenient. Yes, it is not near St Marks, but the vaporetto is so easy to use and cheap and RIGHT next door that it didn't matter. Additionally walking was very easy and you could walk from St Marks over the Rialto bridge and to the hotel just fine.
As we were sent over from the other hotel we did not have to pay for this hotel, so I can not comment on the 'value', but for what we paid for the other hotel and what we got I can't complain.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Venice
San Polo
Hotel Canal Grande
Hotel Canal Grande
#11 of 386 in Venice
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,888 reviews

Been to Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli? Share your experiences!