“Modern with lots of charm!”

Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli
Ranked #132 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli for 4 nights. A bit of help getting to this hotel from the airport if you're planning on staying here.. We bought a return ticket each for the Alilaguna Orange line water bus from a little ticket machine in Marco Polo Airport (27 euros pp). There are signs in the airport for finding the dockland (around a 5 minute walk). When you get there you will have to wait for the Orange line waterbus to arrive. When the water bus arrives tell them you want to get of at 'San Stae'. They should shout when at your stop. When you get off, to the left of the church is a little bridge, go over the bridge and walk down to the first alley way and down that little alley way is Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli. I had previously emailed the hotel asking the best way to get to their hotel and they quoted me 400 euros for a private speedboat to the airport and back. Extortionate!! Use the Alilaguna it was brilliant and was what seemed like the quickest 50 minute ride.
First impressions are lovely, the garden is beautiful all lit up and very cosy. Walking into the hotel it is very grand and we were immediately recognised. A LOVELY man took us to our room and was very enthusiastic and excited about telling us about all the amenities available. One of which was 10 euros for WiFi for the whole of our stay. Cheap but we did think that 4 star hotels should have WiFi included nowadays. He was the only man who was very happy, most reception staff were reluctant to talk and were a little short with their answers to our questions. All cleaners always made an effort to say hello!
The room was quite charming, we paid extra for a deluxe room and we were given a room overlooking the garden. We were slightly disappointed as it was our anniversary and a birthday and I had previously emailed asking for a canal view as it would make it a little more special.. that was ignored and so was the birthday. I think they were being awkward as the hotel was very quiet during our stay so I am sure most of the canal facing rooms were unoccupied. Other hotels have left little chocolates or a birthday card but here there was nothing.
The bathroom was the best room in our room.There was a rainfall shower, normal shower, HUGE bathtub.. really deep! Marble flooring, lovely sink and mirror area. Bidet and toilet and lots of complimentary toiletries. There were some exposed wires under the sink. Quite dangerous in a bathroom. The living space was nice, beautiful artwork on the walls and 2 comfy chairs. There was a mini bar, I would recommend going to the shop instead. The mini bar has water and small cans of pop at 6 euros each! I think not. The bedroom was a bit of a let down, standing lamps on the walls, pipes on the ceiling leading to nothing. The bed cover did have stains on. We saw staff changing sheets everyday but the cover had some black marks on. I didn't enjoy sleeping with that cover. There were also cushions on the bed. Cushion covers don't get washed. I threw them on the floor every night knowing people had been using them before me. Sleep quality wasn't very good either, we could hear the people next door and the people above us walking on their floor! I woke up numerous times just from people walking down the corridor. Walls are very thin!
Breakfast is adequate, we were a little bit disappointed that there was only scrambled egg and not very well done bacon available as hot food. We had croissants every day as it was the only thing we liked (but they were very nice.) Tea and coffee was offered but toast was not. Ask if you want some. The breakfast area was a little uncomfortable, all tables were very close and all positioned in a square around the serving area. Everybody stared as you went up. A little music wouldn't go a miss.
The best thing about this hotel is its location. A minute from all waterbus lines, a beautiful walk away from Rialto and St. Marks Square.. we walked everyday. Very close to a Coop shop for much cheaper shopping than those shops close to St. Marks Square.
They do their own Gondola service from their own private dock. This was 110 euros for a private 40 minute gondola tour and we would recommend this as the other gondola tours we saw were shared and the whole of those areas were covered in tourists. This was easy, along a quiet route and much more romantic than the other ones we saw. This hotel doesn't accept card or currency cards (also strange for a 4 star hotel), so there are banks in Rialto which give money for a small charge so make sure you have the cash for added extras and city tax which is 4 euros pppn.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a canal view room if you want one because they won't give you one if you emai...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GemmaH90

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli for 3 nights. This was our first stop in Italy and we were very please with the friendly staff. Our room was very charming and comfortable. It was also very clean. The bathroom was okay size, however the shower had no glass or curtain which caused us to make a mini flood every time we showered!

Location was great. Very central, yet away from all the busy areas. The ACTV stop (water buses) is just around the corner which makes it easy to commute if you don't want to walk.

Breakfast buffet was very lovely.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank P0shTraveler
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked a room in this hotel via booking.com and a few days later my sister had a terrible accident. Because of that trouble I forgot to cancel the booking and tried to reach booking.com before our arrival in Venice in order to cancel the booking. The lady from booking.com told me that she needs to ask the hotel if a free cancellation was possible but the hotel rejected that wish. So I contacted the hotel directly and the employee assured me that for him it would be no problem to cancel the booking but Booking.com would never allow me to cancel the reservation since they get a commission fee. In the end it turned out that the employee was lying to me since it resides with the hotel to cancel a booking since booking.com supports their customers and only get paid if a customer stayed in the hotel. I asked three times to pay half of the price or a part of it but the hotel was not willing to comply with me. Since it was during carnival in Venice the employee even stated that it would be no problem for him to sell the room again, since he has enough enquiries on the desk. If this was really true, the hotel would have been obliged to send me the money back, that they charged through my credit card.

I'm not willing to stay in this hotel in the future. I made a fault to cancel the booking too late, but in this case I expect more good will. For me this behaviour was unacceptable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vogt85
Giovanellivenice, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Guest
We are very sorry to receive such a negative review by a Guest who has not even stayed with us
because if something wrong on the service that we give or behavior we can always draw on the comments of our Guests and try to improve us , but unfortunately in this case the guest complains only of the fact that , for our cancellation policy , written between ' in a much more clear and without a shadow of doubt on all the sites , the room must be paid in full if it is not canceled in due time.
We are deeply sorry for the serious accident that took his sister, but unfortunately the hotel is obliged to protect himself and it is for this reason that there is a specific regulation for any late cancellation and no show , especially if the booking has not been made directly with us but we have gone through another operator who receives a fee for intermediately done.
We hope , however , once his family situation will be more peaceful , to be able to welcoming you here so that you can convey that Italian Hospitality and the attention that make us famous all over the world.
Best regards

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We booked this hotel months in advance of our visit through our travel agent and Small & Elegant Hotels, International. The pictures looked great and the reviews here were great too. Upon arriving, the lobby looks great, and the location right off the St. Stae Vaparetto route is very convenient.

However, when we arrived at our room we were so disappointed!! We had a "garden" view which was a view of the alleyway and adjacent building since there are no gardens in Venice. The room wasn't very clean, there were stains on the bedspread (ewww never a positive sign) and the only way to describe the towels was "threadbare". There were visible threads hanging off of the towels. There were also signs of water damage in the hotel room, and a bad attempt at patching the wall. Since we were visiting at low season, we wondered why the would put us in this room when there were probably many other vacant rooms in the hotel?

Also, the fan didn't work in the room; luckily we could open the window and it was cool outside. We kept the window open day and night during our visit.

I went down to the front desk, showed them pictures of my room and voiced my disappointment. They brought fresh towels to the room, apologized and brought us a bottle of Proseco. Like maybe we should get drunk and the room would look better? We left the room for the evening and returned about 10:30. It was then we discovered we had no HOT WATER. Again I called down to the front desk. About 45 minutes later, about 11:15pm, a hotel clerk arrived and apologized and said the hot water was "low" and to try again in 30 minutes. Really? I was hoping to get to sleep sometime tonight. I was just drifting off to sleep when they called at 11:45pm asking was the hot water on? I stumbled out of bed, checked the hot water, no, still not on. They said, "This never happens." Right.

The breakfast was typical continental European fare, adequate.

I went to bed dreaming of hot water, woke up in the morning and it was working. They offered to move rooms but we did not want to hassle since we were already unpacked. We shortened our stay by one night because we had an early flight to the airport.

For a 4-star hotel at 188EU/$260 a night, I expected a little better quality for the money.

Warning: if you have a flight early morning or late evening, the private water taxi from this hotel to the airport is EXPENSIVE!! 170EU!! We decided to check out and save the EU. We got a hotel at the Courtyard by Marriott in Tessera for 117EU a night that was much better than the Giovanelli and had a free airport shuttle.

I would have given this

Room Tip: Maybe the canal or deluxe rooms are better. Our was a standard, garden view which is an upgrade fro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank California_K
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel is a real delight situated just minutes away from the San Stae vaporetto stop. The room is fantastic and is clean, well designed, well laid out and very quiet. The streets of Venice are extraordinarily confusing but finding the hotel after walking to Rialto and St Marks square is easy as it is just off the main canal. The walk to Rialto takes about 10 mins (including wrong turns) and about another 10 to get to St Marks square.

A nice hotel in a convenient position.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Martin D
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We spent three nights in this hotel, it was in a great location off the grand canal steps away from san stae station. The staff were friendly, the rooms were nice and up to standard. It was a warm and welcoming hotel with a ten minute walk to rialto. It was worth our money and would recommend anyone to stay there if they are visiting Venice. It was very relaxing and the view from our window was just perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank kayliya
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Beautiful hotel on the Canal Grande. Just beside the vaporeto stop of San Stae (extremely convenient and rare as well), at the most calm and charming area of Venice. No more than fifteen minutes walk from San Marco.Clean and spacious standard double room, enormous bathroom with bathtub and extra shower, with the towels being a special surprise. Our room was facing the inner yard over a dreamy wisteria perfuming our stay. Always smiling and very kind staff.
Good breakfast, don't forget to ask for a capuccino! Rather overpriced, like every other hotel in Venice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple