“Nice hotel, sublime location, friendly staff”

Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli
Ranked #134 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We had a pleasent stay at the hotel. All staff very friendly and helpfull. The location is perfect - very central and close to everything but away from tourism. Nice and clean room. Missed an international news channel on the free TV package

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Hotel was wonderful. We stayed in a room with a courtyard view. The room was quite comfortable. The hotel staff was great. The wait staff at breakfast was kind enough to bring ice so I could make Iced Tea. That was the only place in Italy that understood my Iced Tea addiction. Apparently, ice is not commonly used in Italy. Breakfast was yummy. The views were incredible. The hotel is nicely located just a 10 minute walk to St. Marks Square. We were happy to be close, but not too close. Venice is nice to explore away from the busy touristy sights. Gondola ride on a full moon was amazing.. The hotel can arrange for the Gondolier to pick you up right from the hotel. Wonderful stay, wished we would have stayed longer!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I am actually struggling to write this reveiw.... I simply do not have enough words to praise the hotel and staff enough.
We have just returned from our third visit to Venice and each time we have been lucky enough to stay at this beautiful hotel on the Grand Canal. The Giovanelli is a stunning old Palazzo which has been tastefully renovated to modern standards without losing its traditional charm.
It is in the perfect place, directly on the Grand Canal, however far enough away from the maddening crowds to allow you to relax. It is next to the Stan Stae vaparetto stop and about a 10 minute wander down to the Rialto market and bridge, however there are many lovely restaurants close to the hotel which the hotel staff are very happy to make recommendations and reservations for you.
In fact the hotel staff are amazing, from all on the reception, especially Frederica and the lovely young ladies at breakfast, who make the best coffees to start your day off.
We have seen three of the superior rooms here, all lovely and spacious, although our favourite is at the rear of the hotel overlooking the small canal. We haven't see any of the suites yet, but if they're anything like the stunning public rooms upstairs they'll be amazing.
So a huge thank you to Domenico, the General Manager and all of his fabulous staff for looking after us so perfectly, we hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CLK666
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights mid March and had a wonderful time. The hotel was beautiful and the staff very welcoming and helpful. They were kind enough to book us a place for dinner and direct us to where we wanted to go. The room was lovely and clean and had a beautiful view. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone thiking of staying in Venice.

1  Thank Ellie S
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli for 4 nights. A bit of help getting to this hotel from the airport if you're planning on staying here.. We bought a return ticket each for the Alilaguna Orange line water bus from a little ticket machine in Marco Polo Airport (27 euros pp). There are signs in the airport for finding the dockland (around a 5 minute walk). When you get there you will have to wait for the Orange line waterbus to arrive. When the water bus arrives tell them you want to get of at 'San Stae'. They should shout when at your stop. When you get off, to the left of the church is a little bridge, go over the bridge and walk down to the first alley way and down that little alley way is Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli. I had previously emailed the hotel asking the best way to get to their hotel and they quoted me 400 euros for a private speedboat to the airport and back. Extortionate!! Use the Alilaguna it was brilliant and was what seemed like the quickest 50 minute ride.
First impressions are lovely, the garden is beautiful all lit up and very cosy. Walking into the hotel it is very grand and we were immediately recognised. A LOVELY man took us to our room and was very enthusiastic and excited about telling us about all the amenities available. One of which was 10 euros for WiFi for the whole of our stay. Cheap but we did think that 4 star hotels should have WiFi included nowadays. He was the only man who was very happy, most reception staff were reluctant to talk and were a little short with their answers to our questions. All cleaners always made an effort to say hello!
The room was quite charming, we paid extra for a deluxe room and we were given a room overlooking the garden. We were slightly disappointed as it was our anniversary and a birthday and I had previously emailed asking for a canal view as it would make it a little more special.. that was ignored and so was the birthday. I think they were being awkward as the hotel was very quiet during our stay so I am sure most of the canal facing rooms were unoccupied. Other hotels have left little chocolates or a birthday card but here there was nothing.
The bathroom was the best room in our room.There was a rainfall shower, normal shower, HUGE bathtub.. really deep! Marble flooring, lovely sink and mirror area. Bidet and toilet and lots of complimentary toiletries. There were some exposed wires under the sink. Quite dangerous in a bathroom. The living space was nice, beautiful artwork on the walls and 2 comfy chairs. There was a mini bar, I would recommend going to the shop instead. The mini bar has water and small cans of pop at 6 euros each! I think not. The bedroom was a bit of a let down, standing lamps on the walls, pipes on the ceiling leading to nothing. The bed cover did have stains on. We saw staff changing sheets everyday but the cover had some black marks on. I didn't enjoy sleeping with that cover. There were also cushions on the bed. Cushion covers don't get washed. I threw them on the floor every night knowing people had been using them before me. Sleep quality wasn't very good either, we could hear the people next door and the people above us walking on their floor! I woke up numerous times just from people walking down the corridor. Walls are very thin!
Breakfast is adequate, we were a little bit disappointed that there was only scrambled egg and not very well done bacon available as hot food. We had croissants every day as it was the only thing we liked (but they were very nice.) Tea and coffee was offered but toast was not. Ask if you want some. The breakfast area was a little uncomfortable, all tables were very close and all positioned in a square around the serving area. Everybody stared as you went up. A little music wouldn't go a miss.
The best thing about this hotel is its location. A minute from all waterbus lines, a beautiful walk away from Rialto and St. Marks Square.. we walked everyday. Very close to a Coop shop for much cheaper shopping than those shops close to St. Marks Square.
They do their own Gondola service from their own private dock. This was 110 euros for a private 40 minute gondola tour and we would recommend this as the other gondola tours we saw were shared and the whole of those areas were covered in tourists. This was easy, along a quiet route and much more romantic than the other ones we saw. This hotel doesn't accept card or currency cards (also strange for a 4 star hotel), so there are banks in Rialto which give money for a small charge so make sure you have the cash for added extras and city tax which is 4 euros pppn.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a canal view room if you want one because they won't give you one if you emai...
2  Thank GemmaH90
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli for 3 nights. This was our first stop in Italy and we were very please with the friendly staff. Our room was very charming and comfortable. It was also very clean. The bathroom was okay size, however the shower had no glass or curtain which caused us to make a mini flood every time we showered!

Location was great. Very central, yet away from all the busy areas. The ACTV stop (water buses) is just around the corner which makes it easy to commute if you don't want to walk.

Breakfast buffet was very lovely.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank P0shTraveler
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked a room in this hotel via booking.com and a few days later my sister had a terrible accident. Because of that trouble I forgot to cancel the booking and tried to reach booking.com before our arrival in Venice in order to cancel the booking. The lady from booking.com told me that she needs to ask the hotel if a free cancellation was possible but the hotel rejected that wish. So I contacted the hotel directly and the employee assured me that for him it would be no problem to cancel the booking but Booking.com would never allow me to cancel the reservation since they get a commission fee. In the end it turned out that the employee was lying to me since it resides with the hotel to cancel a booking since booking.com supports their customers and only get paid if a customer stayed in the hotel. I asked three times to pay half of the price or a part of it but the hotel was not willing to comply with me. Since it was during carnival in Venice the employee even stated that it would be no problem for him to sell the room again, since he has enough enquiries on the desk. If this was really true, the hotel would have been obliged to send me the money back, that they charged through my credit card.

I'm not willing to stay in this hotel in the future. I made a fault to cancel the booking too late, but in this case I expect more good will. For me this behaviour was unacceptable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vogt85
Giovanellivenice, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Guest
We are very sorry to receive such a negative review by a Guest who has not even stayed with us
because if something wrong on the service that we give or behavior we can always draw on the comments of our Guests and try to improve us , but unfortunately in this case the guest complains only of the fact that , for our cancellation policy , written between ' in a much more clear and without a shadow of doubt on all the sites , the room must be paid in full if it is not canceled in due time.
We are deeply sorry for the serious accident that took his sister, but unfortunately the hotel is obliged to protect himself and it is for this reason that there is a specific regulation for any late cancellation and no show , especially if the booking has not been made directly with us but we have gone through another operator who receives a fee for intermediately done.
We hope , however , once his family situation will be more peaceful , to be able to welcoming you here so that you can convey that Italian Hospitality and the attention that make us famous all over the world.
Best regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Venice
Hotel L'Orologio
Cannaregio
Hotel Pesaro Palace
Hotel Pesaro Palace
#117 of 498 in City of Venice

Been to Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli? Share your experiences!