Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli
Official Hotel Site
US$450
US$311
  • Room Service
Hotel Monaco & Grand Canal(Venice)
US$1,191
US$1,095
  • Restaurant
Ai Mori d'Oriente Hotel(Venice)(Great Value!)
US$426
US$365
Official Hotel Site
US$950
US$646
  • Restaurant
All reviewssan staegrand canalmozart suiterialto bridgest staewater taxibeautiful hotelsuperior roombreakfast staffvaporetto stopcanal viewhotel entrancethe hotel staffour honeymoonmurano islandbreakfast roombooked this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I'm writing this review to inform guest who may be considering this hotel of two important pieces of information. The first is there is a charge of 10 euros for INTERNET and the wifi password is only Good for ONE DEVICE. The internet doesn't work very well. Our service was repeatedly interrupted and after I called the front desk to complain, I was informed that I would need to leave my room and come to reception for a new wi fi password.

Also, there is no ROOM SERVICE outside of breakfast offered between 7:00 AM and 10:30 AM. There is a bar cart in the lobby that mostly offers coffee and soft drink beverages and wine. In a small place such as Venice where restaurants close early, it would be nice to have a restaurant to order from when you're hungry.

Lastly, The hotel staff in general does not seem to be overly accommodating. There is no effort on their part to give you extra information such as local food places that may be open late night. We began our marriage/honeymoon trip in Paris and went to Rome and will be finishing here in Venice. I can honestly say that our service at the other locations have been top notch! Here I don't find the staff to be very helpful. It's disappointing considering we were hoping the last leg of our trip would be more of relaxing in our hotel after so much sight seeing.

The hotel itself is clean and I have no complaints about the location. I don't like to give bad reviews but I do believe in being honest and providing people with helpful information. If you're anything like me, you also read reviews to inform your decision on a regular basis.

FUNNY- I tried to submit this review and was kicked off of the wi fi- Thank goodness trip advisor saved this review or I would have had to type it all over again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We really enjoyed our 3 day stay here. The outside of the hotel might not look great, but that was true for many hotels in Venice, but the inside was beautiful. The staff were very helpful and breakfasts were very good. The rooms were well provided with dressing gowns and slippers included. We had a room with a view over the square onto the grand canal which was nice.
Note: no coffee making facilities.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the square, so we heard the delivery boat arriving in the morning, but it wasn't overly noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We are group of three couples who recently stayed at Palazzo Giovanelli for 3 nights. A week before we arrived at Palazzo Giovanelli i noticed that the full amount of over $4,000 had been deducted from my credit card, I was assured when they took my credit card details that this was to hold the rooms, and not to deduct the amount. When I queried this I was assured it was normal procedure. I have never had this happen at any other hotel in the world, and do not consider it normal. It was in fact distressing to find that such a large amount had been deducted from a card that I was relying on to pay my expenses while I travelled. We made our booking 9 months before arriving, requesting 3 rooms on the same level, as well as taxi collection from the cruise terminal. We had email confirmation that all was in place. However when I rang to get picked up from the terminal first they told me that I hadn't confirmed, this was as they read back to me my confirming email and then said yes we did say we could pick you up, but no we can't. I was left to organize the taxi myself. This was actually fortunate as it cost 100 euro less than was quoted by Palazzo Giovanelli. On arrival at the hotel we were taken to our rooms only to find that we were not all on the same floor as requested, and again our reminder that this was requested and confirmed by email was dismissed. They did give my husband and myself an upgrade to compensate, however this only made the situation worse as the other two couples were still disgruntled, having paid the same amount as us. I ordered a glass of milk and an apple in my room on the first night, which I only ended up eating half of as I was not feeling well, this was still in the room when we left and never cleaned up by room service. Also during our stay we took up the offer of a free taxi to Murano Island. This taxi took us to the rear entrance of one Murano factory where we were hounded by over zealous salesmen, we were then collected from the same point and dropped at St Marks Square. It was only later that we realized that we had missed out on the whole of the rest of Murano Island, I suspect there is commission arrangement between the hotel and the factory as the prices at this particular factory were considerably higher than any where else in Venice. In fairness to Palazzo Giovanelli the hotel is clean and well presented. However the general lack of interest in actually providing what was requested and confirmed clearly by email, was very disappointing. Any querying was dismissed as unimportant. I felt that there was a general lackluster attitude and poor customer service, which took the shine off what should have been a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank J0liad
Giovanellivenice, Direttore at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guest.,
We regret very much about your not fully enjoyed your stay at our Palazzo.
We try in every way to make our guests' stay memorable and special, every beautiful memory is created for us a source of pride ...
We therefore wanted to delve into all the details of what went wrong with his time and after careful checks revealed some things that we would like to share with you:

Regarding the preauthorization request,
we are very sorry that this has created your personal hardship but unfortunately,
I confirm that is the standard procedure that we use with all of our guests to ask for a pre-authorization not be charged on the clients credit card
as a frequent user of the web we suppose you are informed.
We also attire your attention to the fact, that all information and procedure, in particular the rules about credit card validity pre authorization are well described
and must be accepted, from users, you in this case, before the finalization of the reservation.

The second point that has created your disappointment is undoubtedly the original request of 3 bedrooms should be in the same floor,
originally, in reference of each quality rooms booked.
At your arrival, following your special request we offered and given one of our best Suite which is located on the same floor of the rooms booked her friends.
Point out that these wonderful Suites, overlooking the Grand Canal, we only have 2 and we give you as free upgrade.
We remember you gladly accepted and now we discover this was not enough.
We ask your consideration our hotel is located in 5 different floors, with a total of 41 rooms, so we are limited to grant different various quality room in a same floor,.

We, in different occasions, on requeste offered our personalized Transfer service with escort, hostess or stewart, coming to pick you up at your arrival,
this service, as we expressed has a cost we also, alternatively, we suggested to order a water taxi on call upon arrival,
you wrote to us confirming that he opted for the second solution.
So I think there was misunderstanding on how to proceed was to order a taxi directly.

With regard to the Room Service, we checked with our housekeeper, which confirms to me that you have been left there the apple will change, however, the flatware, as the quality of our protocol always planned to leave the fruits there for the second day, In general if clients do not desire it, a short notice to our reception can easily solve.
We want to thank you because here we reported a critical issue in the way we act, we wil study a different approach.

Last known visit to Murano offered by the hotel, we are sorry that really so different from the usual gift is misinterpreted by our guests,
pay homage to a free water taxi transfer to the Glass factory, one of the oldest in tradition in MURANO, offering the opportunity to see a master at work and the possibly to return
to San Marco Square, in general every hour to returm with other eventual guests.
We stress there is no obligation to purchase in no way, if you had this impression, please receive our sorrow. We will inform the management of the Factory.

I hope these brief reflections have been able to dispel all your possible doubts in any case, we remain at your disposal for any further clarification.
A friendly greeting
Domenico Fort

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The room was clean, hotel conveniently located to good restaurants, and with its own dock for a water taxi. The bathroom had a weird window where you could watch your spouse shower while lying in bed. I guess that could be fun for honeymooners?

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at the palazzo giovanelli for 3 nights in a dormer room and other than the ceiling being a little low for my other half, the room was lovely.
The hotel was beautiful, a real mixture of both Classic Venice but modern too.
Great location right on the grand canal, the only criticism would be, when you get off the vaporetto, it's not that well signposted, when you find it, it seems obvious but I would say better signs would be an advantage.
Wouldn't hesitate to stay again!

Stayed: July 2014