“A stay to remember”

Ranked #11 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“A stay to remember”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We visited Venice for my wife's 30th birthday - and this hotel was a major contributing factor in making the trip really memorable. In short, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel whatsoever; if you're considering booking a room here then GO FOR IT! It's definitely worth it.

Not only was the hotel itself fantastic but the staff were incredibly helpful; they simply could not have done more for us. Upon arrival we were immediately made to feel welcome and everything was explained to us to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. We arrived at around 4:30pm and so had a good amount of time to explore once we'd checked in. Once we returned to our room later in the evening, we found that the hotel had left us a birthday cake for my wife. What a wonderful gesture!

Breakfast was lovely and we sat outside each day that we were at the hotel. It was a lovely way to start our day: with a magnificent waterside view.

As others have said, the hotel is supposedly 'off the beaten track'; it isn't at the heart of the most touristy areas. However, such is the size of Venice that it really isn't far to get anywhere - a mere 20 minutes walk or so to Rialto and another 5-10 minutes to San Marco. This was absolutely perfect for us. What we found was that it forced us to explore the whole city - and I don't think we'd have done so in quite the same way if we had stayed nearer to San Marco. Also, the city is really well sign posted (you'll see what I mean when there) meaning that it is REALLY easy to find your way around. Besides, getting lost and exploring is all part of the charm! The location of Canal Grande allowed us to make the very most of our stay. We wouldn't have wanted to stay any closer to the busier areas.

My wife and I absolutely loved our time here. It was completely a stay to remember. Thank you so much to the hotel and its amazing staff!

2 Thank PStyles82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Nice room, good location (quiet), ice cold air conditioning, free wifi and a friendly staff. If we were to return to Venice, this location would be given strong consideration. It is a decent walk to many of the more popular tourist sites.....just an FYI.

2 Thank ScottinKansasCity
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I booked this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews. It was my second time in Venice but my husband's first and he was very excited. I needed a hotel with water view and the unique artistic style in a 'quiet place' but still close to the main attractions. Canal Grande fulfilled all my expectations and beyond with the friendly staff and how helpful they were with us explaining our way around Venice and pleasing us with our requests : a nice pro secco on their terrace after walking all day long....
It's a small boutique hotel with a beautiful terrace (fitting 3 tables) overlooking Canal grande. Short distance walking from the train station ( important when you are carrying your luggage through small little bridges) Is located in a quiet beautiful square and accessible to everything : boat taxi or walking. Unfortunately our room wasn't overlooking the canal (not available at the moment of reservation) but we had a small water view from the side. The room was small but cozy and the deco was stunning. Nothing negative, nothing!

Room Tip: Ask for the 'full' view on the canal
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PAO D D
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

In summary, look no further, book it! I travel a lot, I am used to hotels. I am uninspired by hotels. I never feel moved to write about them. But I am because this place is and the staff are excellent. In all areas. A perfect hotel for your break away.

Review:

We took the water taxi from Marco Polo and we were delivered straight to the jetty of the hotel. My wife managed to book a private water taxi that cost about £56. this is very cheap and is a fantastic experience to get your trip off to a great start.

It is small, only twenty odd rooms. the first impression of the place was amazing. We were greeted and helped off the taxi. Our luggage was delivered straight to our room. The receptionist just frankly could not do more to help us if she tried. And I got the impression that she didn't have to. All of the staff are great.

We booked on lastminute.com after reading similar reviews. They deserve their position in the rankings it is a fantastic place.

Our room did not have a canal view, but overlooked a little courtyard to the rear. The room was a suite consisting of small lounge with a TV behind the mirror (doesn't interest us, but it might be important to you). The bedroom had a four poster bed again with another TV in a very attractive bedroom. There is a lobby thru to the bathroom which is fabulously well stocked with all you need. Mini bar is in there too alongside the safe.

The decor was opulent, the room fantastically clean. In fact all of the common spaces were immaculate too. I often wonder when I visit these buildings just what the fire precautions are like. I can not help it. It's my job I'm afraid. This place is very well set up and the night time management extremely good.

I am afraid I don't very often write reviews for the places I stay and they tend to be numerous when away on business etc. This time it was to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was noted by the hotel and we had a free drink outside on their little jetty which is set up with three tables to watch the world go by on the grand canal. Given I stay in a lot of places, I tend to stay in good and bad. And this place is outstanding by comparison to anywhere I have stayed in a long long time. If not ever. It was perfect.

Breakfast is a extensive continental selection of fruits, breads and some hot food. It is very well-stocked and any requests are given full and expedient attention. There are loads of places to eat nearby. We took the receptionists advice and ate in a local taverna. It was excellent. I was bitten to itching point by mosquitos, but that is to be expected. I asked the reception the following day were there any local Pharmacies and she gave me a mosquito wipe of her own. When would that ever happen anywhere else?! Just tremendous. If you need anything, ask the staff, they will want to keep you happy.

It is well positioned for the ACTV (water buses) too. You can travel the whole of the city in them. The day and couple of daypasses are very economic. Having said that, if you fancy a walk through to the Rialto Bridge or Piazza San Marco, then just do it. Don't worry if it is hot as the buildings provide great shade and the narrow streets make great breeze tunnels. You are walking through backstreets, but not once did I find this threatening. It was just really enjoyable. We ambled to Rialto and then on to St Mark's Square. It took maybe an hour and a half. It was an hour and a half of really great interesting experiences, with loads of shops and restaurants on the way.

This place is great. A perfect Hotel, particularly for couples. We saw people on their honeymoon, Americans, French and English/Welsh. The staff are extremely good speakers of English, All of them I mean. So if like me, when it comes to Italian you are struggling, don't worry.

Room Tip: They all seem really good. Don't worry about the views, there are enough common spaces to get al...
10 Thank Andrew C
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great hotel and fantastic staff. We arrived at 8pm and Anca was on reception and immediately made us feel at home. She gave us excellent restaurants to try and told us how to get around by foot, water taxi or water bus. The rest of the staff were great too particularly Thomas, Natasha, Roxana and Antonio. The hotel is right on the grand canal and gives you great views, and you can even have Breakfast on the downstairs balcony overlooking the canal.The breakfast buffet included with your room is great and there is a good choice too. The hotel is in a quiet location which really gives you the feel of an authentic Venetian neighborhood. Traditional tourist shops are located a short distance over the bridge. The room was immaculate and the free wifi in the room was a real bonus. The hotel totally lived up to the reviews on trip advisor and we couldn't have been happier.

3 Thank Thalia K
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel is directly on the grand canal. What sets it apart is the awesome service.

From the moment we arrived to our departure they could not help my family anymore. Ruby and Henry are 8 and 6 and they were treated like prince and princess. Its a flashback to elegance and charming service.

We have travelled enough to know it is rare so thank you to this hotel.

Room Tip: We like the junior suite. It was large enough
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Aussie2and2
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel in Mid July and had a nice experience. The staff was extremely helpful and very friendly, especially Tommaso. Breakfast on the canal was incredible, an experience not to be missed. One thing that I would recommend: ask for a room on the upper floor. The couple that we were staying with complained of flies in their ground floor room and a musty smell. The concierge told us that it was due to the canal (being on water). I would definitely stay here again though.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple