My wife and I recently stayed at the Hotel Canal Grande for 2 nights during our honeymoon trek around Italy. Throughout our journey we stayed at several 4-star hotels and were treated well everywhere. However, the service and the overall experience at the Canal Grande were beyond exceptional.
1) Upon arrival (7 minute walk from the Santa Lucia Train Station) we were greeted with a smile by Chiara. She introduced us to Venice with a map, an explanation of the hotel's services and was able to offer us a few special amenities for our honeymoon. Needless to say, we were impressed immediately by the hotel, and the service remained at an exceptional level throughout our stay.
2) Our room (a junior suite) was gorgeous and pristine. My wife referred to it as a "fairy princess room". We had a private terrace outside our bedroom and small kitchenette (hot plate/stove, refrigerator, sink). The sink was especially useful for refilling our large water bottles for our daily adventures around town.
3) Breakfast was included, and was definitely the best hotel breakfast we had at any of the hotels we stayed in Italy. The Capuccini were well made and the food selections were vast yet all good. We had good fruit, great eggs (scrambled and hard boiled) and an assortment of croissants. It was a great way to start our days.
4) The hotel has a partnership with some of the Murano Glass Companies, and offered us a free tour, including transportation. The ride to Murano was quick and provided by a water Taxi. The demonstration by a maestro was interesting and we were informed about some of the history and techniques used. After the demonstration, we were led into the gallery portion of the exhibit to look at (and buy if so desired) any of the pieces on display. While we didn't buy anything large, we did buy several small gifts before leaving the island. The Glass company did provde free transportation back to the main island.
5) The hotel also recommended a restaurant across the Grand Canal called Povolodo. We were hesitant at first, since my wife and I have had great success finding small local restaurants without a touristy feel. This felt very touristy when we arrived, but the food was very good and we had a nice nice experience here. Recommended for those that want a nice meal without walking too far from the hotel. And the view is stunning being on the canal.
Overall, I would rate this hotel a 6 out of 5. It was phenomenal, and we will definitely stay here next time we visit Venice.
Thank you Chiara and all of the staff at the Hotel Canal Grande.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Canal Grande is a charming boutique hotel located in Ca' Polacco, an elegant little palace which has just been restored. The furniture of the hotel is characterised by the elegance of Rococo style, typical of 18th century Venice. The lobby with its rose marble fireplace, the breakfast room with its golden mirrors, and the bar with its Venetian red velvet armchairs overlook the Grand Canal and are the best places where to begin and end a day! The small terrace on the Grand Canal gives our Guests the possibility to have a drink in a special setting and to "breathe the air of the canal"!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Canal Grande reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.