“Don't look further and go there”
Review of Hotel Canal Grande

Hotel Canal Grande
Ranked #12 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Forcalquier, France
“Don't look further and go there”
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Hotel Canal Grande is:
1. The kindest, warmest, most caring service, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Thank you Gianni, the “breakfast girls”, and all the staff. Any possibility that you could do some consulting for some hotels I know in France?
2. A quiet location, away from the tourist hustle. Don’t be afraid to be so far on the map from San Marco, it takes around 30’ either by Vaporetto or by foot to go there.
3. A (very) small but nicely decorated and spotless room. Very comfortable bed, hot shower both in American and European style. We had as well a small terrace (I think that there is only one room like that), which unfortunately we could not fully appreciate due to the rainy weather, however, it must be wonderful to seat and look at the boat traffic on Canal Grande during summer time. Note the TV hidden in a Venetian mirror, a smart decoration trick.
4. Santa Croce is a nice vicinity, with a couple of restaurants in the nearby which are way less of a rip off than what you would find, say, around the Rialto or San Marco.
5. THE PLACE TO GO.

1 Thank eh_tonnant_voyageur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

This hotel is lovely, the location is perfect, the staff friendly, the rooms luxurious and well appointed. We enjoyed it so much we didn't want to leave, I would certainly stay there again.

I could post photos, but as it is exactly as it appears in the hotel's photos it seems pointless.

The only thing missing to make it absolutely perfect is restaurant so there would be no need to leave the hotel at all!

Oceanside, California
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Like the other reviews...the staff, Johnny, and all the others were so committed to giving us quality and value. They were all about making sure we were SATISFIED...We loved the location because we came in on the train. Walking to the hotel was a short distance from the Santa Lucia Station. The rooms were beautiful and very clean. Breakfast was very adequate!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I was impressed by this small hotel from my arrival to the time I left.

My mobile phone was not working when I arrived but the hotel kindly called home for me to confirm my arrival and did not charge me.

My room although small was very smart and clean. I felt very safe and looked after which is important when travelling alone.

The hotel is in an excellant position on the Grand Canal and a 5 min. walk to the nearest water stop for the vaporetto.

The breakfast was ample and the service good.

I would recommend this hotel to all and would def. return should I visit Venice again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
London, UK
Reviewed 14 May 2010

My new husband and I spent the first two nights of our honeymoon at the Hotel Canal Grande and it really was fantastic. By far the friendliest welcome we have had from any hotel, ever! We had a junior suite overlooking a courtyard and the rooms were great; decorated in typical ventian style the place was spotless. Not so much as a suitcase scuffmark on the wall! We had a very romantic four-poster bed and the mattress was incredibly firm and comfy - I slept 12 hours straight on the first night and awoke totally refreshed and ready to explore Venice. Broadband was free which was great for us as we were keen to keep checking our facebook accounts for new wedding photos as our guests added them! The mini bar was well stocked and we were pleasantly surprised by the price when we left. It wasn't dirt cheap but not at all bad compared to some rip-off hotels. The hotel is very well situated to explore and close to the train station. Be sure to ask the receptionist about the free taxi service from outside the hotel to Murano to see glassblowers at work. A few years ago I stayed at the Europa and Regina in Venice which is 5* and extremely expensive, and I can safely say that the Hotel Canal Grande is FAR superior. We paid about £250 for two nights B&B at the Canal Grande which I thought was very reasonable considering the high standard of the hotel, the good location and the stunning rooms. We will never stay anwhere else in Venice again. You will not regret booking this hotel. Wonderful!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2010

If you are like me, you do a lot of research about where to stay. I can say without hesitation that you don't need to look any further. I have stayed in many, many hotels around the world and I can say that the staff at both this hotel, and the Antiche Figure, outshine the others. At no time did I ever feel it was a result of them doing their job...it was more that they were genuine and passionate and 'got it' in terms of what the benefit of great customer service is. They should have a side business of consulting to the large luxury hotel chains! The other nice benefit is that they have modern and very clean rooms. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these two hotels to any of my friends or family. Yes, the price is high but that is Venice and not specific to this hotel. And yes, it would be nice if it was closer to the 'main' attractions but half the fun of Venice is walking around and exploring. The only suggestion I would have for them is to try and get more english speaking tv channels to reflect the global travellors they have. This hotel is one of the few where I can honestly say that the official star rating for them is too small...5 star staff turn these into 5 star hotels.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank gogens
ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2010

A fantastic little hotel where the personal touch was more than just a sales pitch,the staff from arrival to leaving were fantastic helpful ,courteous ,unobtrusive..We had an amazing trip to Venice this hotel was in an excellent position for exploring the city ,what a haven to return to after a long day walking through this amazing place when you were greeted with a warm welcome on your return,this hotel made our Venice trip.We will stay here again on our next visit to Venice.