“Poor value, rude service, touristy”
Review of Al Vaporetto

Al Vaporetto
Ranked #1,197 of 1,490 Restaurants in Venice
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Marco
Description: Our Restaurant Pizzeria is located in the heart of the historical center of Venice, between St. Mark’s Square, the Rialto Bridge and the Accademia.Home cooking meat, fish and various soups, salads and pizza prepared in front of your eyes. Wide choice of wines and beers. Also glutine free food and Free Wi-Fi.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stopped for pizza as we were staying around corner at Ad Lofts apartment. They were not closed when we went in and sat down. Was told there were closing soon and we could only order pizzas as long as we ordered in the next 15 minutes. ( We were ready when he came over). Pizzas were soggy in middle and were very skimpy on the toppings. Was very average in taste.

Tables were covered in the plastic plaid tablecloths like you would put on a picnic table. Waiter was very abrupt and we felt like we were putting them out. Prices were about the same as other places but at the other places, they actually put ample toppings on the pizza.

Would not recommend as there are so many other places that serve pizza.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,660)

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I was about to give up on TA restaurant reviews. Tried the takeaway pasta joint...threw all 3 boxes in nearest trash, tried the highly recommended restaurant next to this one, also disappointed. So we weren't holding our breath on this. The good was done of the best we've had in Venice. House wine was delish. It's a bit touristy and not much ambience but food snd wine make up for it. Staff was ok. Not great but not bad either. We're going back tonight for our last night..that tells you how good the good was.

2  Thank SAGossGirl
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Come to al vaporetto for service to make you feel shi---. That should be the sign outside. As a restaurant that offers translated menus and has such star ratings I am APALLED at the terrible quality of srtvice that completely ruined my night with my family. I am a twenty-something Asian- American, college educated, and can say an inner city McDonald's has better service. As soon as my little sister started her order waiter #1 (young napoleon) told her to hurry up and snapped at us, didn't explain anything to my Chinese mother who isn't familiar with Italian food, and cut me off before I finished speaking. We were given veal that was not cooked well. The bread was dry. Waiter #2 (blue earing) who brought us our food was kind and politely answered my mother's questions (almost turned the night around to good again). Waiter #1 brought us our check and immediately got defensive when we calmly asked a question about the service charge. He said it wasn't his fault that we couldn't understand. He made my mother feel stupid and stressed. I spoke to him before we left that he spoiled our night and he just pointed to the menu's service charge (thinking that's what I meant) and said I don't think that's my problem. Thanks.

1  Thank travelcitygirl43
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Like many other reviewers, we happened upon this restaurant while wandering the streets of Venice, and decided to give it a try because it was relatively inexpensive and that's always a plus in Venice. If you want a quiet, romantic, tasteful dining experience, this won't be it. The place and menus are clearly aimed at tourists, with pictures of all the dishes so you can just point, if necessary. There are paper tablecloths, and a staff that is accustomed to dealing with visitors from all over the world, so the service is quick, brusque, and lacking in personality. The prices are reasonable, but the food is just adequate, nothing too special. We shared a smallish bowl of pasta with mushrooms as an appetizer, and I had the pork chop (10 euros) while my wife had the salmon with red peppers (14 euros). As I said, the food was okay, but there are sooo many restaurants in Venice, that this one can be skipped. The waiters try to get you to buy more expensive wine, dissuading one from having a glass of the cheaper house wine. Unfortunately I succumbed, and paid 14 euros, (about $20) for a half bottle of unremarkable chianti. I guess the house wine would have been just as good. I suppose they don't expect tips, so there is a 2 euro per person cover charge, and that is more than sufficient as a tip.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Like past reviewers, we found this spot while walking through Venice. The prices were good but unfortunately the quality of the food matched the prices. There were four of us in our group and the one good dish was the pasta arribiata. The rest of the meal was just average. Our waiter was totally disinterested in serving us throughout the course of the whole meal. We had to beg to get some wine. When we asked about recommendations from the menu he just shrugged. There are so many great restaurants in Venice that I would skip this one next time around.