“The Palazzetto da Schio is a treasure!”

Palazzetto da Schio
Ranked #23 of 225 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I hesitate to share how much I enjoyed my ten day stay in one of the two bedroom apartments in the Palazzetto da Schio because I am afraid it will be so overbooked I will never be able to schedule time on Contessa Anna da Schio's busy booking calendar again!
We stayed in the two bedroom apartment on what would be described in America as the second floor. It was furnished with family antiques and art and overlooked the Fondamenta Soranzo detta Fornace, a lovely canal in the Dorsorduro, very near the Salute church. The rooms are spacious, well furnished, and very comfortable. The kitchen was the best equipped kitchen I have ever encountered in a rental apartment, including dishwasher, washer, drying rack, microwave, and all sorts of cooking and dining equipment. There is even a wheeled cart to take to the market!
Contessa da Schio is the best hostess one could ever hope for. She is fluent in English (which is very helpful because my ability to communicate in Italian is pitiful). She corresponds by email to answer all questions and arrange the booking and then gives a thorough tour and explanation of the apartment upon arrival. She is available to answer question or help with any problems during your stay, but, as others have noted, is not intrusive.
Although Venice has become so tourist oriented that many of the shops that formerly existed to serve the residents (small markets, neighborhood bakeries, etc.) have been replaced with shops to sell to tourists, the neighborhood has a few remaining small shops and the Billa supermarket is an easy walk or vaporetto ride. We also shopped at the Rialto Market one day and brought our purchases home by vaporetto. If you are staying for a week or more, try to go to the Rialto Market and then cook at home one night!
I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Venice!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jan55612
iaidesignpds, Owner at Palazzetto da Schio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

After this very likeable and highly cultured family group had left, the first earthquake hit the Po valley and was clearly felt also in Venice. The lady who had written the extremely kind review on my house contacted me at once to express her sympathy and say she hoped we hadn't sustained any damages (actually we had a very slight damage but it was partly my fault: a glass lamp fell but it shouldn't have been right on the edge a table). Again, I felt lucky to have met this family, people who really care and find the time to show it.

There are newer reviews for Palazzetto da Schio

Reviewed 10 March 2012

We now plan our trips to Venice around availability at the Palazzetto da Schio; we wouldn't stay anywhere else. Contessa Anna da Schio has turned her historic famiiy home into your famiy home and will make your stay in Venice comfortable and economical. From the initial contact until departure, the Contessa makes certain that things go smoothly. Her English is excellent and she is prompt with email responses and information.

We have stayed in all four of her apartments and although we have our favorite, all are comfortable and well appointed. Kitchens are full of gadgets, pots and pans, dishwasher, oven, microwave, full size fridge, dishes, glasses, linens - everything you need for a full meal at home. There is a washer/dryer in each apartment and a bathroom for each bedroom. We find the beds quite comfortable and always sleep well. Decor is classic Venetian. Free wifi and satelite TV keep you conected with the 21st century if you want to give up your fantasy of Venetian nobility.

The Palazzetto is in Dorsoduro, a quiet part of the city, but easily accessible to San Marco by boat and the Zattere for sunny strolls and ice cream from Nico's. The Bar da Gino, with the friendliest staff in all of Venice, is just a short walk away and perfect for a morning cappucino or an evening spritz. The salumeria nearby has a huge selection of cheeses, salami (I love the one with garlic) and other small treats. Billa, the supermarket, is a nice stroll down the Zattere and each apartment has a shopping trolley to help you get your purchases home. Each apartment also comes with a mobile telephone and selection of boots in the event of aqua alta - not things you normally find in an apartment rental, but the Contessa thinks of everything. And if you need a dog fix, Webby, a genuine Venetian boat dog, is available for doggy kisses and wiggles.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Boomaa
iaidesignpds, Proprietario at Palazzetto da Schio, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Friend,
Venice is a wonderful city and it is loved by wonderful persons: they endure the "acqua alta" without a murmur and are grateful for a pair of boots, they think nothing of the absence of cars to go to the market with and are grateful for a trolley, they have beautiful pedigree pets at home but they fall in love with our silly little yappy barge dogs.
I feel lucky to have such guests and such friends!
Anna da Schio

Reviewed 9 August 2011

My family and I had a most wonderful visit to Venezia, made more enjoyable by our stay at the Palazzeto da Schio. The top floor apartment was quiet and aforded views of the canal below. The apartment was spacious, clean, and nicely furnished. The kitchenette and dining/living area gave us a chance to fix meals and feel at home. Located in quiet Dorsoduro, about three minutes walk from Santa Maria della Salute and the vaporetti. A hightlight of our stay was being able to use the Palazzeto's boat to tour the canals of Venezia. Amazing experience!!!

Contessa da Schio welcomed us and made us feel well cared for. Her helpful suggestions for restauants, markets and gelato was much appreciated. Upon our departure in the middle of the night during a thunder storm, the Contessa was there to see us off to ensure our water taxi was on time and we were well taken care of. We will defininately return here on our next trip to Venezia.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Neal M
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Our extended family of four (3 generations) had a wonderful stay in apartment 5 for 3 nights. As indicated in previous posts, the location is excellent (quiet, away from the crowds, but close to all major sites with lovely views) and the owner, Contessa da Schio, was professional and helpful throughout, both by email before our stay and while we were in Venice. Apartment 5 overlooks the garden which we used each evening - it was nice to have a walled garden to enjoy amidst the city. While the setup of the bedroom in the cove would not be for everyone (the 2 bedroom apartment was not available), the one bedroom and the separate beds in the cove worked fine for us. There is an excellent gelato place and grocery store not far and a new vaporetto stop closeby. We definitely would stay here again and plan to the next time we visit Venice. The Norrie family

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank cvqgirl
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I just returned from my fourth stay at the lovely Palazzetto da Schio. It has, truly, become my home away from home in one of my favorite cities in the world. Over the last four years, friends and I stayed for several weeks on three separate trips in Apt. #4 and I thought nothing could be finer. This last time, I stayed on my own for three nights in Apt. #2 upstairs and it was positively glorious. A wondeful big bedroom with walls of books and another wall of closet space, a comfortable living room (that easily served as my office - FREE WIFI! - with a wonderful view of Venice's red-tile rooftops), a kitchen the likes of which I'd like to have in my house!, and a bath with shower and tub. The building - which dates to the 16th Century - is the childhood home of Contessa Anna da Schio - a perfect hostess. All four apartments are elegantly appointed with antique furniture and accessories and modern conveniences like dishwashers and laundry. The location couldn't be better - it's in what I consider to be Venice's best sestiere - Dorsoduro - with great food markets, restaurants, and just a stone's throw from the Peggy Guggenheim Collection. The Zattere is lovely for morning and evening strolls (and gelato!). The perfect accommodation in La Serenissima.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mauigp
Reviewed 11 June 2011

This was my second stay at Palazetto da Schio. The first being in February 2007 for Carnevale with two girlfriends. I have stayed in both suites on the top floor, and they are absolutely lovely. Beautifully decorated with antique furniture, and very comfortable. Contessa da Schio is a charming woman who speaks excellent English. She goes out of her way to help you in any way she can. The suite my husband and I stayed in in May is at the back of the palazetto and looks out over the roof tops of Venice. It has the afternoon sun. The location in Dorsoduro couldn't be better. You are just a short hop over to San Marco Square and the vaparettos are nearby. If we are lucky enough to get back to Venice again we would not hesitate to stay at Palazzetto da Schio again ! We loved it !

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank VancouverIslandAnne
Reviewed 17 April 2011

The Palazetto da Schio has to be the perfect place to spend your Venice holiday.

It is located on a quiet canal just off the lagoon and is within easy walking distance of Santa Maria della Salute and the Grand Canal.

The apartments are a dream come true. Historic with interesting pictures and textiles to be seen. The Contessa will tell you their history if you wish.

The Contessa is a good host. She is multilingual (Engish, Italian, French etc) and is available if you need anything but does not intrude otherwise.

She also provides good info on local ameneties.

I would return there anytime.

Room Tip: 3 flights of stairs