“Excellent service and food.”
Review of IL Nuovo Galeon

IL Nuovo Galeon
Ranked #643 of 1,481 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Castello
Description: Google maps show it in two places: part way down Calle San Domenego (wrong) and - if you do a search for the restaurant by name - Via Giuseppe Garibaldi (correct).
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Recommended to us by a local, this small place was an absolute delight. I read a few reviews on tripadvisor after the recommendation and decided to ignore the negatives...good decision on our part!
We had lasagne and spaghetti for first course. Lasagne was by far the better of the two dishes however the spag.bol. was very good too. For mains I had sea bream with artichoke sauce, not a big fan of artichoke however this dish was amazing! My wife had pork shin which was cooked perfectly and melted in the mouth (I got to eat some of it :-)

The owner is very friendly, he gave us great recommendations and also treated us and the rest of the diners to a complementary glass of strawberry sorbet laced with vodka, nice touch. €108 bill for two courses, 1 bottle of pinot grigio and dessert. Excellent value for this level of service in Venice...make this a definite evening stop on your trip to Venice.

1  Thank amardeep m

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We went for lunch one day and had to come back for dinner the next day. The food was absolutely devine. The owners are always there and are eager to help in the food decision. We had monk fish and bass filets one time. Another we had the gnocci and a pork dish. The best dessert I have ever had was the apple cream cake. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Restaurant appealed to us from the outside on our second night in Venice, but was rather sterile inside. The proprietor was extremely rude to us from our first coversation as we were taking time to order wine and the prices seemed really high (house wine double that in other restaurants). He then insisted that he was closing the kitchen so rushed us over ordering food. Our two plates of pasta and bottle of water cost 35 euro which seemed extortionate given we'd had 2 (much nicer) courses and wine for 43 euro the night before in central Venice. The food was acceptable quality but the attitude so bad that we felt uncomfortable. Avoid!!

3  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This restaurant is located in castello, which is a bit of a trek away from the city centre. The welcome and general service was cool (except for when it came to the bill and the "service not included" comment). The grilled monkfish was very fresh and delicious; the spaghetti vongole was average; the marinated antipasti selection , I suspect, gave my wife gastroenteritis.

Prices are on the high side as well.

1  Thank Stinkaroo
Reviewed 15 February 2014

When visiting Venice I always like to have dinner at least once in the Arsenale neighborhood. It's an area where tourists seem less inclined to go knick knack shopping so that's worth quite a bit to me from the get. Traveling solo, I was pleased Galeon stocked half bottles of wine and I enjoyed a nice local cabernet blend. The mixed salad was a treat, much more than the standard lettuce and tomato. The greens were fresh and tasty, especially so for February. This particular evening I indulged in the sepie, cuttlefish prepared in its ink sauce - very nice although the accompanying polenta was a bit overcooked. Finished off with coffee and local grappa, the grappa having the characteristic firewater effect with a nice finish. My server was a really funny guy who spoke fluent English - a real character who made me feel welcome. Recommended.