“Such an art !”

Ranked #3 of 708 things to do in Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Blending the architectural styles of East and West, Venice's magnificent basilica was consecrated in 832 AD as an ecclesiastical building to house the remains of St. Mark.
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Such an art !”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

You will be amazed. We have had lots of pictures of the Basilica di San Marco :)

• Arabic first
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Good”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Download the Itunes audio tours for free, it willhelp you enjoy this site.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stunning architecture, beautiful sculptures, awe-inspiring site. Plan to arrive early (9 or 10 am), as the lines are long. If you carry a backpack, first leave it in a storage room (provided at the side of the Basilica) and then go into the line, otherwise, you will be directed there anyway (we saw people being turned away from the entrance). As everywhere in the world, do show respect by covering your bare shoulders and thighs, otherwise, you will be denied entrance.

Visited July 2011
Asia
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Too Dark, Too Crowded”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We visited the basilica in the evening. First, we were ask to deposit our bags about 100 metres away in a small alley. A grumpy man was at the counter accepting the bags and tell us to come back after the visit to the basilica, which we said "Sure". We entered the place, and I was pretty disappointed with the place. First, the place was not well managed, and it felt like we are farm animals jostled around in the basilica, following a pre-determined route.

To make the matter worse, the place was also not very well maintained. The premises were poorly lit, making the view inside very dark and it was difficult to see the beauty of the place in such darkness. The staff working there were also not very friendly, a little more like policemen moving the people around.

The crowd outside in the square does not help either, as we struggled a little to move out of the place into the square outside. In my opinion, a waste of time. I retrieved my bag from the bag counter shortly after that. I have been to many churches and cathedrals in Spain, Germany, Austria etc, but I think this is one of the worst.

Perhaps the timing was bad, perhaps I am unlucky, but I think - perhaps not, and I think I am not alone with this opinion. I think more thinking and planning needs to go into this attraction to make it attractive and its beauty fully expressed. The view from outside is in my opinion better, relatively speaking.

Visited October 2011
3 Thank ogenkidesu
Jakarta
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Interior.”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Easy to get in and have a quick tour. Make sure you go outside to the balcony!