“unbeatable location, unique lobby, glorious terrace, and so-so rooms in the adjacent building, horrible floral pieces!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel

and 1 more site!
Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #59 of 385 Hotels in Venice
palermo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Our last stay in the Danieli was in 1986! I remember it as having been the most enchanting of experiences, and we must have stayed in the central palazzo because I do remember the most exquisite furnishings in the room without a frontal view.

We stayed for two nights with the amex platinum feature which allows an upgrade upon availability, late check out, breakfast and an amenity which in this case was for a high tea (which didn't fit into our schedule.)

The only rooms left when I made the reservation were the higher priced rooms, but my husband really wanted to stay at the Danieli as we had tried other hotels on recent visits (the Gritti Palace, for e.g.), and although it really irritated me I booked the horribly expensive room for two nights.

Who knows what it would have looked like if the upgrade was not available! The room was on the first floor in the adjacent building (not the main Danieli Palazzo) and had a fabulous frontal view of San Giorgio (see picture). It was not a large room, and if you like brocade, rich silk burgundy curtains, and lots of decoration (none of which would appear to have been present when the building was built) then this is your place. The furniture was notable only because it was in the Danieli Hotel where one would have expected to find gorgeous Venetian antique furnishings in the rooms; these pieces were from the same outlet that furnishes Holiday Inns everywhere, it seemed to me, although the mirrors alongside the bed were at least Venetian. I realize now that I didn't have the incentive to photograph the room and I go on memory; there was really nothing worth photographing except the view from the room, which I attach. The decor of the room was very very disappointing in it's anonymity and mass-marketish look and feel, particularly given the hotel and the price of the room, which I am embarrassed to say. Mainly faux furnishes for tippy top market rates, plus 30%. Or plus 40%. We have eyes (if not brains when we agree to pay these prices for less-than-acceptable ambiance.)

It was cold enough at night to sleep with the windows closed and in the late hours and in the morning the sounds of people partying, of boats passing could be heard, but it was not unpleasant.

The hotel provided a welcome bottle of iced prosecco which was very nice, and complimentary water was provided (two 1/2litre bottles per day, as the young man pointed out as he showed us the room.)

We arrived in early evening and decided to dine at the restaurant, first stopping for a drink in the lobby.

I ordered my favorite drink when in Venice, a spritz. It was served in a long cylindrical very scratched up glass and afterwards I remarked to my husband that it was so disappointing to be served the spritz in this type of glass. One of the features of this drink is that it is usually served in a big white wine glass and the pretty orange color and ice cubes are half the pleasure.

Dinner was inside on the terrace floor; very competent waiters and staff, nicely set tables and linens. I had the creamed fava with shrimp, my husband had the bigoli, and for secondo we had the rombo. Our primi were "alright", the secondi were overcooked and bland. It was very expensive; the rombo was €69 and when we ordered it the man said was was enough for two, but I think they must have given us double portions and charged us twice. We were starving so we ate half of it but we decided that the Danieli restaurant for dinner was a poor choice if one wishes to have something delicious.

Breakfast on the other hand is just fine. We were able to sit outside on the exceptional terrace and there is little that can rival this view and atmosphere.

I was pretty appalled to see the coffee pot brought to the table (we had asked for a refill) all stained with coffee drips! (see photo.) Someone wasn't paying attention, but we couldn't help but notice.

A last negative point which I couldn't help but notice were the truly dreadful, depressing, and fully inappropriate floral arrangements which dot the common areas. For example in the hallway/sala in front of our room there were two big tables; there is no natural light in this area. The arrangement theme throughout the hotel was orchids set in dead earth-toned branches. The orchids are gorgeous but are dwarfed by the dead branches and one's eye mainly sees what looks like my "garden" in winter before it is pruned. When we approached our room through the dim-lit area, our eyes were drawn to these dead-looking as if they should be brought back down to the basement or taken out to the dumpster arrangements, and which gave the appearance of being dust-filled. I attach some fotos of these gruesome works. The prize-winning horror adorned the fireplace in the main lobby; a wooden framed panel of grass with some orchids stuck unconvincingly in the middle. What were they thinking of? (see picture!) PS on this topic; see the picture of the "flowers" at reception; the magnolia blooms are faux!

Oh, and I was forgetting; the Danieli too uses the noisy printers in the restaurant area which of course amplifies its zingzingzing as it prints what seems like reams and reams of documented detail about each cup of coffee or tea one has consumed.

I was going to ask to see the rooms in the main palazzo but didn't; next time I think we'll try yet another hotel in Venice.

PS: There was a lot of dust in the room for e.g. around the legs of the bed (which I noticed when I was trying to find my glasses; even without my glasses I could see it!) and also in the morning on Sunday there was a rain of perhaps fresh from the night dust on the tables in the room. Not to say the room was unclean; it was clean. Cleanish. Just freshly dusty. And that harder-to-get-to under bed dust....

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear melanieag,
Thank you for sharing your feelings with all Trip Advisors readers and with us. We always welcome both positive and negative comments as they are an important instrument to evaluate and improve our level of service.
We share your disappointment for not receiving the punctual and bespoke service you would so rightly have expected. It is our committed aim - and of the Hotel Danieli staff - to offer personal and dedicated attention to any requirements, either small or big, easy or difficult, from our guests and we wish to assure you that will work harder to prevent that issues such as the ones you have shared do not happen again in the future.
We know we can do so much better and we would be honored to welcome you back on your next visit and to show you the results of our improvements.
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

One should certainly allow four days here, and the Danieli hotel is perfectly placed to explore all the sights. The Danieli arranged to meet us at Marco Polo Airport where we were whisked away in a private boat directly to the steps of the hotel and where we were met and registered in to one of the most romantic hotels we have been fortunate to stay in. Our room was located in the more modern wing with perfect facilities and facing west, very quiet. We forgot our adaptor but within minutes the Concierge sent one up to our room. The staff were absolutely fantastic, polite, helpful and the Concierge team excellent. The location of the hotel overlooking the Grand Canal could not have been better. Our only disappointment was dinner on the rooftop Restaurant, which did not live up to the high standard of the hotel, the food served was warm and not hot, and lacked presentation on the plate, which was a pity as the staff were excellent. Overall this is a hotel to stay in when travelling to Venice

Room Tip: We were in the modern wing on the 3rd for facing west- excellent
1 Thank Trenham Ian Weatherhead
Dear Trenham Ian Weatherhead,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Hotel Danieli in Venice. We have taken your concerns regarding the food served in the Terrace Restaurant seriously and we are taking every possible measure to prevent the issues you reported to happen again in the future.
We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon
Kind regards
Orange, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

There are individuals who expected more comfort in this five star hotel, but the history, locatipn, and ambiance that defines this establishment is what astounds me. The location is close to central Venice. One may take a stroll to the center of the town and listen to romantic music, have a simple evening meal, or just relax and reflect upon the people who have walked the streets and bought in the stores you visit.

Our room was average for size and we did pay a lot for it. We enjoy the history of western civilization and the events that occurred centuries before. So the decor, architecture, , art, and everything that defines this hotel is very special. I found the staff to be very friendly, as I generally find all Italians to be towards Americans. The bed was sufficient and facilities were clean.

The only reasons I am not giving it a five star is because the price was expensive.
Venice is truly a remarkable city.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear IIMCS,
We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and also that you appreciated the location, the friendly and professional service as well as the facilities that the Hotel Danieli offers. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

We are on an organised trip stayed here 3 nights room 148 - amazing OLD WORLD décor - our room was understandably small and very old world (particularly the bathroom), it faced a small canal that attracted very loud gondolier's (singing/booming from 3.30pm to 6.00pm). Overall I found this room very noisy - corridor noise, noise from rooms on top and to the side, garbage collection 7.15am every morning - understandably this is the price you pay to be 'on the front row'. Now to the restaurants - the breakfast room is STUNNING - a deck (you can sit inside or out) over looking THE canal - brilliant view - great food - great service (beware of the smoke salmon addicted seagull), we did have a group (about 50) dinner which was as expected for the size of the group - just - nothing special. Would we stay here again - YES!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

This is a centrally located hotel with great views from the breakfast room. If you stay here, try to book a package with breakfast included (well worth it). This is a luxury hotel and the staff and service was exceptional. The location is perfect as right on the water and easy to get to. I recommend this one!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear ADTravels413,
I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received.
Best regards,
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

At Hotel Danielli, we had a suite/balcony overlooking the Grand Canal. The view was terrific! The staff is very nice as expected at a luxury hotel.

Our suite was a study in contrasts...literally! The interior small living room and bedroom are poorly lit and garrishly decorated in red velvet and dark wood (think pseudo Victorian steakhouse). The bathroom is great - updated in marble with both a great tub and separate shower.

The hotel has a spectacular rooftop restaurant with 180 degree views of the Grand Canal and all of it's activities. The breakfast buffet is wonderful.

If the Danielli replaced the red velvet, improved lighting, and removed the extraneous lobby decorations, it would certainly move way up the rankings for a luxury hotel in Venice. It's got alot right, but not quite enough for a luxury hotel.

Dear Travel4bourne,
We are grateful for your support and would like to thank you, for taking the time to bring your personal opinion to our attention, which, certainly assist us through our continuously process of improvement. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Danieli on your future visits.
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Old world venice charm at its best ...just like in the movie the tourist.. Best was the champagne breakfast on the rooftop with amazing views of the grand canal..thumbs up !!! Centrally located right next to San Marco place..lots of small cafes n bars around to have a good time.. Also most venice attractions close by and a few minutes walking distance..

Room Tip: Canal facing for best views..
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jackde97_13,
I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were.
Kindest regards,