“Amazing experience!”

Ranked #58 of 384 Hotels in Venice
New Orleans
“Amazing experience!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Very few things equal the magnificence of the Hotel Daneli. From the moment we checked in to the time we (with great reluctance) checked out, the staff of this hotel constantly and consistently went out of their way to make sure our every need was met. The concierge staff were the most well-informed and courteous we have ever encountered. They could not do enough for us. For example, one morning on our way out, I mentioned we were going to the Fortuny Factory (not the museum) and before I knew it he was on the phone setting up an appointment for us with the factory manager!

Rarely have we had the delight such as the breakfast each morning! What. A. View! The food choices were plentiful with great variety.

Our room was extraordinarily comfortable and impeccably clean. The bathroom was very spacious and elegantly outfitted. It was four very enchanting nights of luxury.

The Danieli will be the only Hotel for us in Venice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kjordan
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear kjordan,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and I am thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that the greatest asset of the hotel is the staff. It is so nice to read suck lovely feedback and is very motivating to all the team who do work incredibly hard to make our guests stay memorable.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance at any time.
Warm regards,
in charge of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I just returned home after a wonderful 7 days in Venice celebrating 3 generations and our 3 summer birthdays at Hotel Danieli. This is now the ONLY place I will stay in Venice! This was my 4th trip to Venice in 30 years; I have stayed at a gamut of Venetian hotels from charming college-style "dumps" to Honeymooning at the magnificent Cipriani across the Grand Canal. For this trip, however, I needed a hotel that was not prohibitively expensive and one that was convenient to San Marco, so there would not be too much walking or constant boat trips with the steep narrow steps for my mother.
Hotel Danieli was a perfect choice for location; but even more surprising, the Danieli was an excellent value (for a Venetian 5 star) and the service could not have been more friendly or efficient --something I was expecting to be a bit lacking after some of the mixed reviews I had read over the past several months on Trip Advisor leading up to our trip. I am happy to report that every concern I had was quickly dispelled by the charming and talented staff.
During our week-long stay, I probably dealt with every member of the reception and concierge teams. I can honestly report that everyone I met was helpful, personable and hardworking. For example, upon arrival every effort was made by Marco in reception to prepare our room several hours before the 3PM check-in time. Also, given the special occasion of our visit, my family was upgraded to a lovely room (in the 2nd to oldest of the 3 buildings) and while we did not pay for a canal view, every effort was made to give us a lovely, large room on the top floor that allowed us a pretty view of roof tops, terrace gardens and a bell tower--even more impressive, we were thrilled to have a partial Grand Canal view. Water could be seen from every window, including the very spacious bathroom's window!
I also had extremely positive experiences in dealing with members of the concierge staff. The concierges were knowledgeable and personable--not remotely rude as some reviews complained. We were given excellent advise ranging from riding the vaporettos; visiting Murano if we did not wish to take the "free" ride with the hawker-style promotion boats; recommending a close-by but still delicious restaurants that we could easily get to with a sudden rain; and mapping out directions to a particular metal worker's foundry who I had read about in a travel magazine. On another occasion, one concierge helped my "techno clueless" self set my iPhone and iPad to a mode that would not accrue overseas roaming charges and he offered me a complimentary 24 hour internet code.
The lobby bar was also staffed with several polite and unobtrusive barmen who never made us feel uncomfortable is we sat around for hours reading, checking emails etc. in the late afternoon without ordering drinks or snacks. Since my mother would often sit at one of the lobby's attractive seating arrangements for a couple hours as my son and I went out on an afternoon exploration, she noted that the lobby was always tidy, lively and welcoming. Wedding couples and other families groups would often meet in the well-appointed lobby which was stunning and formal in palace decor, but relaxed and informal in atmosphere. It was never empty or dull as one reviewer complained, due to the "ungodly expensive martinis." After reading this criticism, I was almost afraid to order a drink one afternoon until I actually looked at a menu. My mother and I found the prices totally in-line for a hotel bar and enjoyed a couple glasses one of our favorite summer wine, Santa Margarita, at 14E a glass. Signature cocktails were only a few euros more. The huge, elaborate palatial lobby was always pleasantly filled with an assortment of interesting people and a fun place to enjoy a respite. Additionally, the barmen were polite and professional and seemed to enjoy working together and joking with each other and with local customers. They were observant if you wished to order a toasted ham and cheese and drink, for example; but left you alone if you simply wanted to read your Kindle and drink your complimentary bottle of mini bar mineral water. One day I accidentally left my cell phone charger plug in the wall outlet and when I returned a few minutes later, the barman had already discovered it and had it wrapped up and waiting for me behind the bar.
Last, I must say that there is NO better place to enjoy a meal with a view than the Terraza Restaurant on the rooftop. This is hands down THE BEST atmosphere in town. Nothing else compares--seriously! Starting the day every morning by sitting on the rooftop terrace was so fantastic that we all agreed that if we could cancel our next hotel stay and Hotel Danieli could accommodate us for 2 more days, we would happily change our plans to stay a couple more days at the wonderful Danieli. Once again, Marco came through for us and arranged for our next hotel's cancellation, and arranged for us to have the same room at the same rate and breakfast package. We cannot wait to return to Venice and to the Hotel Danieli for our next family reunion or special occasion!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MARIE F
Dear MARIE F,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your constructive feedback on the site following your stay with us which is greatly appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of assistance.
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Danieli for 3 nights in the old building, with silk wall coverings and beautiful wood surrounds. It's an exquisite hotel, with views from the suite/room that are breathtaking.
The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, they're also looked after by an excellent house keeping team.
The hotel staff are friendly and if you need to get by in English they are readily able to switch languages to help you, which isn't the case with some hotels elsewhere in Italy.
The only downside to the Danieli is the volume of people coming and going sometimes during their stay, it's popular and with the other wings to the hotel, reception can get busy sometimes.
Also regardless of your budget, I will not be ripped off for breakfast, which at €59 each I consider to be totally outrageous. We skipped the Danieli breakfast and walked to the local square where Cafe Florian accommodated our breakfast with great food, polished service and a wonderful choice of music from their quartet.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Peplow-Sprinter,
We would like to thank you for this feedback of yours. We were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time. I have shared your kind comments with the rest of the team as they are tirelessly working to enhance the overall guest experience. In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to write. We are grateful for your support and look forward to welcoming you at Hotel Danieli in the future.
Best regards,
Dubai
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful stay in this beautiful old hotel. The reception staff made us feel very welcome as did all the hotel staff - there was a grumpy younger guy upstairs in the roof bar but he didn't mar our first experience of overlooking the grand canal in all it's late afternoon glory. It is very well situated near St Marks square and we didn't have any trouble finding delicious places' to eat and drink down the alley ways near the hotel. I did think that it was a little over priced as I am sure that there are many nice hotels in Venice but we had a beautiful room ( no view but ... ) and it was super comfortable. I would definitely recommend it if you want to splash out for a little bit of luxury.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear LisaDubai,
Yours sincerely
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Danieli for 3 nights with my husband and 2 teenage daughters to celebrate my 50th birthday. Having read some previous reviews I was slightly apprehensive that the hotel would not meet our high expectations but am glad to say these fears were unfounded - this traditional gem of a hotel did not disappoint.
When the water taxi from the airport swept into the grand canal and I caught my first view of the Danieli right beside St Marks Square and overlooking the canal, it was even more impressive than I had imagined.
Our rooms were in the refurbished Excelsior wing and were very well appointed with good bathrooms and a very comfortable bed. The rooms were inter-connecting and perfect for families. The hotel had provided complimentary wine on arrival to celebrate my birthday which was a nice touch.
We found the everyone in the hotel to be courteous and helpful.
Breakfast on the roof top terrace was spectacular, especially the first morning in the April sunshine. The range of food was impressive and my daughters loved the extensive range of fresh fruits.
We also had afternoon cocktails on the terrace to avail of the view and although pricey, provided a wonderful way to relax while watching the boats in the canal.
Dinner on the terrace was expensive, especially the cover charge of €16 per person, however, the food was marvellous and the whole ambience of the evening and the attention of the staff made for a memorable evening.
The location of the hotel can not be matched - you are only a few steps from the Bridge of Sighs and St Marks Square. It is also an ideal base to pick up a boat trip - we took a 4 hour trip to the neighbouring islands of Murano and Burano which we all enjoyed.
I am so glad my husband chose the Danieli for my birthday celebration - it was the perfect choice and was thoroughly enjoyed by the whole family. If I ever return to this beautiful city , it will have to be to the Danieli.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Ruby317,
Thank you for your review following your stay.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and had the time to experience some of the exciting sights and places in the vicinity.
Thank you for your comments and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
Warm regards
Calabasas, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It had been 30 years since we last stayed at the Danieli and it is still as classic a place as ever. Very convenient location with Piazza San Marco just around the corner and the water taxi dock right outside. Breakfast on the terrace is incredible with its panoramic views. It was worth the extra expense to get a canal view room. Can't wait to go back there again and this time it won't take 30 years!

Room Tip: If this is the only time you will get to Venice, spend the extra for the canal view... you won't...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The5MRanch
Dear The5MRanch,
Thank you choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Venice. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to welcoming you soon to the Hotel Danieli, I remain
With best regards,
Como, Italy
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed there for one night to celebrate our Valentine's Day. We arrived there directly by boat on a sunny day and left the day after in the rain, but the experience was impressive! Both the hotel and the city are romantic and fascinating in all weather conditions. The staff of the hotel was very welcoming. We enjoyed a very good lunch with careful service, delicious fish and a fine Venetian wine. We could also rest and enjoy the sun on the panoramic roof terrace. I was all-happy to find a second washbasin with mirror hidden behind a wood door in our room. The bathroom was wide and elegant. Our room had a magic view on St. Giorgio Maggiore Island. At night we went to the opera to enjoy "La Traviata" by Verdi at famous La Fenice Theatre, located in walking distance.This stay made me feel like a princess! Absolutely suggested to couples for a romantic escape to this unique city: magic Venice!!!

Room Tip: Ask for sea-view room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rossella M
Dear Rossella M,
Firstly thank you for taking the time share your valuable feedback. As we are consistently aiming to improve services to our guests your comments are very much appreciated.
Best regards,