“A nice hotel but not quite up to expectations”

Belmond Hotel Cipriani
Ranked #30 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Copenhagen, Denmark
“A nice hotel but not quite up to expectations”
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, I may be a bit of a hotel snob, but there are certain things one expects of a hotel in this class. Service was perfect, cleanliness top and the location perfect. That said, the decor is old and tired, everything is held in brown, beige and sand tones which adds to a tired old fashion feel. And must the complimentary tee in the hall and fitness area be cold (even if the sign says hot tea)??? As a Scandinavian I do l appreciate a tee kettle in the room ....

Stayed October 2013
5 Thank JacobHasle
jumpsvenezia, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Cipriani, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience during the recent stay at our Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At the Cipriani we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that I am taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences....and, if we will find the right place where to install it, we will add a kettle in the rooms.

I appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Giampaolo Ottazzi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Myself and my partner arrived by Orient Express holidays and booked a deluxe double room. We were left disappointed after being shown to our room 316 to discover that the living room area of the suite had a damp problem under the main window which was rather unsightly, a light bulb was missing from one of the main table lamps in the living room, the sofas were dirty and tatty, the curtains were shabby and not hung correctly in the bedroom and living room area, the wood surround of the air conditioning unit in the living needed French polishing, the wardrobe door handles were loose, there were dirty marks on the fabric Walls in the bedroom and there were cobwebs around the ceiling area of the bedroom. We called down to reception to advise of our disappointment and Francesco the manager popped up to the room immediately. He could clearly see the issue with this room and arranged for us to be shown 2 alternative rooms. I must say the room he gave us room 405 was beautiful and we were certainly happy with our stay at the Cipriani Hotel - the room consisted of the lagoon view as we had previously booked, with 3 balconies one of which had a 360 degree view, coupled with a living room, study area and a gorgeous bathroom. We appreciated an offer of dinner on the hotel in the fantastic restaurant Fortuny which we would highly recommend. Our entire stay at the Ciprini Hotel continued with great service and fantastic food and our arrival problem was forgotten by the morning after the 1st night. We will return and book room 405 it's worth every penny. The complimentary boat service provided by the hotel is excellent and very well managed. The treatments in the spa sheer bliss and highly recommended.

Thank you Francesco and all your team your fantastico !!!!!

Room Tip: Room 405 for the bet 360 degree view in Venice
2 Thank Michael_W1007643
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for writing your comments about your recent stay at our Hotel Cipriani.

I would like first of all to apologize for the issues met in our room on the third floor that caused inconvenience to you and I am really sorry for this. Unfortunately these rooms needs definitely an update and I really hope that I will be able to make these works this coming winter.

I am so glad that the rest of the stay went well and I am sure that Francesco will be pleased about your nice comments.

I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you again at the Cipriani in the near future.

los angeles
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This was the second time our family has had the good fortune to spend time at the Cipriani, and each time we were treated with kindness, class and wonderful service. It is difficult to put into words just how lovely the property and the staff are, but if you have a chance, this is one place you must visit. The rooms are fine, but the elegance of the pool, the grounds, the shuttle to st. marks square, and the restaurants are legendary. The concierge staff knows everything there is to know about Venice, and Roberto makes you feel like you are home each time you arrive at the dock. The prices are high, but the memories are priceless.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jadesdae
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Hotel Cipriani. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team especially with Roberto , who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I look forward to serving you in the future...for your third visit to us...

Sincerely yours,

Bishop's Stortford, Herts, England
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at the Cipriani as part of an Orient Express deal and were stunned and delighted to be upgraded from our booked Lagoon View room, to a Junior Suite, No. 71, which gave us unbeatable views back across the water towards St Mark's Square. We spent hours just gazing out of the window from dawn to dusk, watching the colours of the sky and buildings change with the sun's movement and, the boats hairing up and down every which way!

Where to start with the suite!! It was enormous! it was SO light, beautifully and so classily decorated, with a large very comfortable lounge area, the bed area had the window offering the fantastic vista I mentioned above, a very large bathroom with seperate shower and loo, a big walk in wardrobe with a safe in it, a kitchenette complete with microwave, dishwasher and fridge! and was just a delight to be in. We had to pinch ourselves each time we walked back into the suite!!

The bed was SO comfortable, we slept like logs! The suite was pin drop quiet.

Breakfast was excellent. The staff were first class. Very friendly, cheeful helpful and the politest I've ever known anywhere in the world. Our lovely waitress even remembered how we took our tea and coffee the second day we were there, when she had so many guests to serve - that is top service without doubt. The fresh fruit was ripened to perfection, the fresh breads/rolls and pastries.. we tried to resist but couldn't!. There were several hams to choose from, wild boar!, delicious cheeses, yoghuts, That's without all the items offered with the hot food menu!!!

Our stay might have only been two nights but it was one of the most enjoyable and memorable hotel visits we've ever had anywhere in the world.

I can not rate the hotel or its staff highly enough.

Dear Guest,

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I look forward to welcome you again in the future...your lovely waitress is waiting for serving you again.

Sincerely yours,

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I travelled from Coventry to the Cipriani for a cocktail and lunch, and returned in a day. Had a fantastic time and thoroughly enjoyed the day. From the airport, I had a private launch to the Cipriani, which did go through the grand canal, and as it had been booked some time before, was expected and made very welcome when I arrived. As I was on my own I had one or two of the staff who constantly looked after me, and nothing was ay trouble for them. I settled for a couple of Bellini cocktails before lunch, which, as the sun was shining and the weather warm, was served on the terrace, I then moved to another terrace for my lunch, which I enjoyed very much . Unfortunately my time was limited, and all too soon I was heading back to the airport, by waterbus this time, to get my connection home. This was something I always wanted to do and I would recommend the experience to everyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
jumpsvenezia, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Cipriani, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Guests,

I would lke to thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay at the Cipriani.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with my team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. To enjoy the property for one day only is a great idea and I neve thought about this possibility.
Thank yuo for having done that and for inspiring us on a new way to rpopose our destination...

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I look forward to serving you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any help for your next "daily visit" .

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stunning hotel in every way. We were upgraded to a suite which was lovely with hand-painted walls and beautiful antique furniture. The bathroom was fantastic in every way - luxurious towels, lots of toiletries, TV at head of bath (with jacuzzi) large power shower and separate toilet, bathrobes and slippers included. The grounds are beautiful, but sadly the weather on our visit did not allow us to make the most of the views, gardens, terraces or pool area. Breakfast in the main dining room was superb. Nothing to complain about at all, a remarkable hotel worthy of it's reputation.

Dear Guests,

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. And i hope that next time you will have the opportunity to visit us during Spring or during Summer in order to full enjoy our facilities...

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I look forward to serving you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any help for your next reservation with us.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Visited Venice for the first time after a "gruelling" month studying in Florence. The decision to stretch to four nights at the Cipriani was one of the best ever. The hotel is everything other reviewers have highlighted - just simply magnificent. It is an oasis of luxurious calm just 10 minutes by private launch from the chaos of downtown Venice at the height of the summer. I had been advised to consider staying around the hotel pool and exotic gardens during the heat of the day (and the peak of tourist crowds in the Piazza San Marco) and then be delivered in comfort across to the main island in mid to late afternoon when the thinner crowds would add to the delights of this magical city. Excellent advice as it enabled me to appreciate just how good the Cipriani is - and I also took the opportunity of exploring in peace some of the neglected highlights of historic Giudecca Island. The Cipriani is expensive, but still good value for money. Service, food, room overlooking the lagoon, generally relaxed and friendly atmosphere - I can't think how any of them could be bettered. I hope to return!

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor looking over the dining terrace to the lagoon. It was large and ligh...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with my team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. The hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I really hope too that you will have the opportunity to come back..., please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any help for your next reservation with us.