“An Unreal Experience!”

Ranked #29 of 385 Hotels in Venice
JLove2512
“An Unreal Experience!”
Reviewed 26 December 2008

The Hotel Cipriani is one of those hotels that cannot be overrated. No matter what you think you might experience when booking this hotel, you'll be impressed. I stayed in this hotel with my daughter for her graduation present and it was absolutely amazing. From the welcome champagne in the room to the free water taxi to the piazza san marco, the spacious room, awesome breakfast and lovely staff, we couldnt have asked for more. The price was WELL WORTH IT and this is the best way to spend a vacation in Venice. One of the, if not THE, most amazing hotel we stayed in.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JLove2512

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
London
Reviewed 2 October 2008

If you can close your eyes to the room prices - you can't though, they're eye-watering - then the Cipriani is utterly delightful. But it's not about the facilities (entirely average) or the rooms (we had a suite, but I've stayed in bigger at 4* hotels). It's all about exclusivity. Service is friendly, discreet and mercifully not too obsequious. Waiters, pool attendants, bar men, etc seem to materialise when you want them and disappear just as soon as you don't.
Don't expect marble and gloss (except in the bathrooms). The hotel is more of a grand old aunt than a haughty duchess. No double height ceilings, giant chandeliers, etc. Parts of it are even unintentionally retro-chic 70s. But you kind of want them to leave it that way.
It's supposed to be star-central, if rubber-necking is your thing. We didn't catch any celebs. Just Valentino's five pugs. You know you've made it when you can afford to stay in a hotel where Valentino puts up his dogs.

• Liked — Exclusivity
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank holidayhack
London
Reviewed 17 August 2008

This time only an overnight stay for a business meeting rather than an extended break. I love it and yes it has its failings but it can never be accused of being sterile or chain like, that's what makes it so special.

This was a stay in one of the smaller Garden Rooms but it was fine, nice view, bottle of Prosecco, summer flowers and spotless.

Staff remember you from previous visits and enquire about family members so I have never experienced what some other of your respondents consider to be an unfriendly approach.

The pool is my favourite in the world and thankfully they keep children contained and under control, if only this were the case everywhere. It is central to the experience and immaculately maintained and serviced,

Dinner at Cip's was excellent and can that view be bettered? No I don't think it can. Excellent Negronis before at the Fortuny Bar with great service, again greeted by name by the staff.

Could do with a bit of redecoration here and there but it is distinguished and I don't think it rests on its laurels, it is Establshment old school and none the worse for that.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank nowvoyager1
Cornwall
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I stayed in the Cipriani to celebrate my husbands birthday, we try to stay somewhere luxurious every year - without the children!
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel like royalty, we stayed in a suite in the Palazzo Vendremin which included our own butler ( well shared between 3 rooms on the same floor but you never knew that he had anyone else to look after) and a delightful lounge area.
The butler unpacked for us while we went to get a drink after the journey and what a joy it was to come back to the room and find everything spotless and hung up!
Each evening he would set up the silver for our breakfast in the lounge area, I had a full english breakfast which set me up for the whole day! My husband ordered both full english and continental and then took his rolls with him wrapped up to snack on while I dragged him around Venice! As a bonus the breakfast is included in the price.
I have to confess that I found the food to be overrated and very expensive, but with your own motor launch leaving for the main square every 20 minutes there is no excuse for not getting out and trying some of the fantastic fare that is on offer in Venice.
It rained one day while we were there and the butler found Cipriani brollies for us so that we wouldnt get wet whilst wandering around Venice, which I have to admit acted like a magnet for all of the glass tour touts at the square!
Yes it is a bit faded, but having stayed in luxury hotels all over the world, I have to say that the Cipriani has a charm all of its own, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Liked — Amazing location, wonderful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was gorgeous.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mumof6
Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2008

We had spent a month travelling around Europe with a group of 10 family members including our baby. Everywhere else we stayed people went out of there way to make us feel welcome and comfortable but the Cipriani was a very disapointing last stop.

Our group had 4 suits booked together but when we arrived we were told that one of the rooms was in a different building. We said we'd like to be close to my parents and my sister would like the other building. The reception very bluntly said "no" and took us to the far away room.

As we walked we were told the hotel rules, Children are not allowed in the fitness center (as with most hotels,this makes sense for safety but I didn't think we really needed to be told in that way) Children are not allowed in the business center and if my son askes to use the internet he will be told no ( I really doubt my baby would be asking to use the internet) Children are not allowed in one restaurant and are only allowed in the other for dinner between 7:30 and 9 and are only allowed in the pool during certain hours. I felt like we were getting a lecture of all the things children are not allowed to do rather than being told about the services of the hotel.

The room itself had a nice balcony with a private hot tub but it was very dated and dark with stained pink carpet and duct tape holding the tv cabinet together.

At 7;45 we tried to go for dinner but were told that children are not allowed in after 7:30. We tried to order room service but were told he was busy with another room and he'd call us back. He did call back 35 minutes later and when the food came an hour after that it was okay. Since there are not many choices of places to eat without taking a boat we ordered room service 3 times during our stay and every time we had to wait to be called back and 2 out of the 3 times they forgot part of our order.

The low point of our stay was the next afternoon when our group were the only ones in the restaurant and I was discreetly nursing my son. The waited asked if I wanted to "do that inside" I replied no thanks we're fine here and he huffed "I ment for the other guests" What guests? we were the only ones in there. He then proceded to walk around the table opening and handing menus to everyone,but when he got to me he literelly threw it at me. I realize that some people are just not comfortable with nursing in public but I don't think anyone deserves to have a menu thrown at them under any circumstances!

I wish I had complained right there but I was so tired of being treated like we were not welcome there,I was trying not to cry and I still had to feed my hungry baby so my husband, son and I just left.

We were there for 4 days and aside from one friendly housekeeper not one staff member said hello or even smiled at us. The bad service and disorganization contiuned the day were leaving.
We got a call early in the morning saying we needed to check out now or we wouldn't make our flight. We explained that our flight wasn't until 5 and we had been gauranteed a late check out through American Express. At 9 we got another call saying the same thing., we explained again but got yet another call asking what time we would be leaving, we said 1:15 and asked to have help with our luggage.At 1:25 no one had come so we called to see if they were coming and were told they were busy and would be there soon. We needed to catch our transfer to the airport and were heading down the stairs with our luggage ourselves when they did finally show up at around 1:40.

We were so glad to leave! I don't know if we would have been treated differently if my son had not been with us but if a hotel doesn't want kids there they should state that so families can stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The balcony
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
32 Thank travelingmumCanada
Germany
Reviewed 4 August 2008

The only thing I liked there is the location of the hotel. It is just magical to take the hotel boat anytime of the day and drive over to St. Marcs Square.
On the other hand - for the kind of money they're asking, I really expect it to be better. I gave them a "second chance", but I think next time I'm going to look for another place in Venice.
The room wasn't that clean, for example: the toilet was still dirty. The mirrors in the bedroom had clearly visible marks on them and the cleaning personal just discovered this after the second night. We were surprised not to have a hairdryer in the bathroom and were told, it's not part of the usual furnishings of the room.....
The staff might be unintrusive - I would call it arrogant, mostly elderly men are working the reception and the service at dinner.
The younger women are apparently only "allowed" to work the breakfast shift. Breakfast nothing special, I know Italians eat very light at breakfast, but with the clientel being mostly international, one would expect a better selection.
Overall disappointing. During the season the hotel has a good occupancy rate, so they think they don't have to try hard anymore.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the staff, the cleanliness of the room, no a/c!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank RosiS
cheshire
Reviewed 15 July 2008

The hotel cipriani is beautiful and elegant, The staff are very attentive and the hotel is very clean. The Cips restaurant is below average for the calibre of hotel, food cold, menu not very imaginative, overpriced although again the staff were attentive. The .pool restaurant for lunch was very very expensive, staff were very poor and food not great, The main resturant in the evening however made up for the other two, this was very elegant, staff very attentive, food very good, beautiful table overlooking the lagoon. Overall i would say you have to visit this hotel although it is very overpriced for what you get, we stayed in a one bedroomed suite overlooking the lagoon on the fourth floor, its charm, elegance , and position and breakfasts balance the fact it is very VERY expensive for what you have , the food and service in two of its three restaurants are not great.

3 Thank CheshireDavo