“They treated us like friends and family”

Belmond Hotel Cipriani
Ranked #29 of 386 Hotels in Venice
New York
“They treated us like friends and family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

The hardest part to describe our experience would be find the right words. My wife and I will always be grateful to Giampaolo Ottazzi and his staff for treating us as part of family. What better thing to say. Not only is this a 5 star facility and panorama, but the service from eveyone there was so sincere and warm as they help you with whatever you need. My wife and I have travelled extensively, and there is no better on the planet. Venice is spectacular, and The Cipriani adds to the experience. The brand of Cipriani is a great calling card in town, opening doors, tables, etc

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheilabluemouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

I have always wanted to stay at the Hotel Cipriani and finally had the chance when my fiancee and I took a quick trip to Venice in September of 2008...The hotel is on an island away from the hustle and bustle of Venice...There is a shuttle that takes guests back and forth to St Mark's Square...The hotel is finished in an understated, classical fashion...The rooms are finished in a similiar style and, quite frankly, could use a bit of touch up...The hotel has lovely grounds and a beautiful and large pool...The restaurant is very good and is regarded as one of the best in Venice...Service is refined and very good...Venice itself is incredible...True it is touristy, crowded and expensive but it is a place that one has to visit...The Cipriani is definitely unique, has amazing grounds and provides a haven on tranquality away from the crowds of Venice but did not live up to my (very high) expectations...Subsequent to our stay, my wife stayed at the San Clemente Palace...She said that she liked that more and provided much better value for money.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
JLove2512
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2008

The Hotel Cipriani is one of those hotels that cannot be overrated. No matter what you think you might experience when booking this hotel, you'll be impressed. I stayed in this hotel with my daughter for her graduation present and it was absolutely amazing. From the welcome champagne in the room to the free water taxi to the piazza san marco, the spacious room, awesome breakfast and lovely staff, we couldnt have asked for more. The price was WELL WORTH IT and this is the best way to spend a vacation in Venice. One of the, if not THE, most amazing hotel we stayed in.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JLove2512
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2008

If you can close your eyes to the room prices - you can't though, they're eye-watering - then the Cipriani is utterly delightful. But it's not about the facilities (entirely average) or the rooms (we had a suite, but I've stayed in bigger at 4* hotels). It's all about exclusivity. Service is friendly, discreet and mercifully not too obsequious. Waiters, pool attendants, bar men, etc seem to materialise when you want them and disappear just as soon as you don't.
Don't expect marble and gloss (except in the bathrooms). The hotel is more of a grand old aunt than a haughty duchess. No double height ceilings, giant chandeliers, etc. Parts of it are even unintentionally retro-chic 70s. But you kind of want them to leave it that way.
It's supposed to be star-central, if rubber-necking is your thing. We didn't catch any celebs. Just Valentino's five pugs. You know you've made it when you can afford to stay in a hotel where Valentino puts up his dogs.

• Liked — Exclusivity
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank holidayhack
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

This time only an overnight stay for a business meeting rather than an extended break. I love it and yes it has its failings but it can never be accused of being sterile or chain like, that's what makes it so special.

This was a stay in one of the smaller Garden Rooms but it was fine, nice view, bottle of Prosecco, summer flowers and spotless.

Staff remember you from previous visits and enquire about family members so I have never experienced what some other of your respondents consider to be an unfriendly approach.

The pool is my favourite in the world and thankfully they keep children contained and under control, if only this were the case everywhere. It is central to the experience and immaculately maintained and serviced,

Dinner at Cip's was excellent and can that view be bettered? No I don't think it can. Excellent Negronis before at the Fortuny Bar with great service, again greeted by name by the staff.

Could do with a bit of redecoration here and there but it is distinguished and I don't think it rests on its laurels, it is Establshment old school and none the worse for that.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank nowvoyager1
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2008

I stayed in the Cipriani to celebrate my husbands birthday, we try to stay somewhere luxurious every year - without the children!
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel like royalty, we stayed in a suite in the Palazzo Vendremin which included our own butler ( well shared between 3 rooms on the same floor but you never knew that he had anyone else to look after) and a delightful lounge area.
The butler unpacked for us while we went to get a drink after the journey and what a joy it was to come back to the room and find everything spotless and hung up!
Each evening he would set up the silver for our breakfast in the lounge area, I had a full english breakfast which set me up for the whole day! My husband ordered both full english and continental and then took his rolls with him wrapped up to snack on while I dragged him around Venice! As a bonus the breakfast is included in the price.
I have to confess that I found the food to be overrated and very expensive, but with your own motor launch leaving for the main square every 20 minutes there is no excuse for not getting out and trying some of the fantastic fare that is on offer in Venice.
It rained one day while we were there and the butler found Cipriani brollies for us so that we wouldnt get wet whilst wandering around Venice, which I have to admit acted like a magnet for all of the glass tour touts at the square!
Yes it is a bit faded, but having stayed in luxury hotels all over the world, I have to say that the Cipriani has a charm all of its own, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Liked — Amazing location, wonderful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was gorgeous.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mumof6
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2008

We had spent a month travelling around Europe with a group of 10 family members including our baby. Everywhere else we stayed people went out of there way to make us feel welcome and comfortable but the Cipriani was a very disapointing last stop.

Our group had 4 suits booked together but when we arrived we were told that one of the rooms was in a different building. We said we'd like to be close to my parents and my sister would like the other building. The reception very bluntly said "no" and took us to the far away room.

As we walked we were told the hotel rules, Children are not allowed in the fitness center (as with most hotels,this makes sense for safety but I didn't think we really needed to be told in that way) Children are not allowed in the business center and if my son askes to use the internet he will be told no ( I really doubt my baby would be asking to use the internet) Children are not allowed in one restaurant and are only allowed in the other for dinner between 7:30 and 9 and are only allowed in the pool during certain hours. I felt like we were getting a lecture of all the things children are not allowed to do rather than being told about the services of the hotel.

The room itself had a nice balcony with a private hot tub but it was very dated and dark with stained pink carpet and duct tape holding the tv cabinet together.

At 7;45 we tried to go for dinner but were told that children are not allowed in after 7:30. We tried to order room service but were told he was busy with another room and he'd call us back. He did call back 35 minutes later and when the food came an hour after that it was okay. Since there are not many choices of places to eat without taking a boat we ordered room service 3 times during our stay and every time we had to wait to be called back and 2 out of the 3 times they forgot part of our order.

The low point of our stay was the next afternoon when our group were the only ones in the restaurant and I was discreetly nursing my son. The waited asked if I wanted to "do that inside" I replied no thanks we're fine here and he huffed "I ment for the other guests" What guests? we were the only ones in there. He then proceded to walk around the table opening and handing menus to everyone,but when he got to me he literelly threw it at me. I realize that some people are just not comfortable with nursing in public but I don't think anyone deserves to have a menu thrown at them under any circumstances!

I wish I had complained right there but I was so tired of being treated like we were not welcome there,I was trying not to cry and I still had to feed my hungry baby so my husband, son and I just left.

We were there for 4 days and aside from one friendly housekeeper not one staff member said hello or even smiled at us. The bad service and disorganization contiuned the day were leaving.
We got a call early in the morning saying we needed to check out now or we wouldn't make our flight. We explained that our flight wasn't until 5 and we had been gauranteed a late check out through American Express. At 9 we got another call saying the same thing., we explained again but got yet another call asking what time we would be leaving, we said 1:15 and asked to have help with our luggage.At 1:25 no one had come so we called to see if they were coming and were told they were busy and would be there soon. We needed to catch our transfer to the airport and were heading down the stairs with our luggage ourselves when they did finally show up at around 1:40.

We were so glad to leave! I don't know if we would have been treated differently if my son had not been with us but if a hotel doesn't want kids there they should state that so families can stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The balcony
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family