“Right in the heart of everything!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Venice
Istituto San Giuseppe
Ranked #20 of 214 Speciality Lodging in Venice
Champaign
“Right in the heart of everything!”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

My family of six stayed at the Istituto San Giuseppe for three days for New Years Eve. I booked the rooms through Monastery Stays. The website for Monastery Stays is easy to navigate and reserve rooms (we also stayed in a convent in Florence). The location of the Istituto could not be better as it is only a 5 minute walk to either the Piazza San Marco or the Rialto Bridge. We had two rooms of three beds. The rooms are about the quality of a dorm but they do have their own bathrooms. The curfew was not too difficult to manage, and the sisters did allow us to come in after curfew on New Years Eve. There is WiFi only the upper lounge and there is no breakfast, but since you are just steps from San Marco, breakfast is easy to find. You do have to pay in cash on the day before you leave so make sure you hit the cash machine a couple of times before that day. Note: it is much easier to reach the Istituto from the San Marco vaporetto stop than from the Rialto vaporetto stop with luggage.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank army_arch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I feel very neutral about this place. I think I would give it more stars if I knew Italian. It is not too difficult to find, but my husband said the Google Map had it in the wrong place. I couldn't make heads or tails of the Venice streets to begin with, so I have to take his word for it. They do send a map when you make reservations, so he said it is better to use that one.

The best thing about this place is it is 5 minutes from St. Mark's Square. You are right in the middle of the action. It is clean and well-kept. It does not include breakfast, but there is a fridge and tables you can use. However, most of the nuns do not know English and I felt like they were not quick to call someone if we needed help. On more than one occasion they tried to speak to us in Italian, going on for several minutes. We kept shaking our heads and saying "no speak" in Italian, but they were insistent. On the last day, we finally met the person who spoke good English. In general, this was frustrating for us because on the last night we needed to leave the convent at 5am for an early flight. They lock you in, so there had to be someone up to let us out. This was difficult for us to convey. Everything worked out fine, but I am not sure the stress was worth it.

Also, if you reserve directly through them, you will have to wire money to them for a deposit, which made me a little leery. Then, even though I e-mailed twice, they never sent confirmation that they received my wire. So, I felt like I was going to Venice unsure if I had a room at all. Also, wiring money was expensive - I paid $35 for it through my bank. I paid 80 euros a night for the convent plus taxes, so the $35 made it more than $10 more a night. I just want you all to know this up front. There was nothing terrible about this place, but not really much good either. I would look into staying somewhere else next time I went to Venice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon S
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Small but pristine accommodations. Wonderful location. Stayed there four nights in July, 2012. Here are the directions to get there: Walking - From the train station take the fast boat #2 (not the #1 milk train). Get off at Rialto Bridge. Turn left and walk past the Rialto Bridge. Look off to your right for S. Lio Street. Cross the bridge. Go three blocks to the dead-end T, and turn right. Go one block and turn right just before the next bridge. The Istituto is half a block straight ahead.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank venicesarasota
Scone, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Our family stayed at the Istituto and enjoyed the central location and character of our accommodation. The rooms are basic, but extremely clean and have everything you need, including WiFi. We enjoyed seeing the children at school on our way out in the morning. The Istituto is a lovely building and we felt very at home.

Room Tip: We had two rooms with three beds each - not sure if they do doubles. Very quiet and secure location
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Justforfunmum
UK
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Istituto San Giuseppe is a wonderful place to stay in Venice very close to both St Marks square and the Rialto bridge . I have just stayed there with two friends on a four night trip, the room was spotless, the beds comfortable and there was plenty of hot water . It was lovely and peaceful and the Nuns were very sweet and helpful. We found a coffee shop nearby for breakfast and had fun finding great places to eat in the evening. One evening went to a concert and got back in plenty of time for the curfew. I will certainly stay there again and recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Cloudlea
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I've stayed at the Istituto San Giuseppe four times and loved every visit. I've been on my own as well as with my family. I don't speak much Italian and had no problems communicating with the nuns. As long as you respect the curfew you'll be fine. The location is beyond excellent. The rooms are comfortable. I highly recommend for people to stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank Kelly O
Escondido, California
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed here three nights last summer. The location is wonderful, right on a canal. The nunnery is big, but nice and quiet. My room was on the 4th floor, big enough with two single beds, nice window with a view over the real venice. The a/c worked great and the bathroom was modern and large for a single room. In an expensive city like Venice, this is the best deal you're going to get- less than $60/night. The only downside I can think of is if you're a big party person and want to be out past their curfew of midnight. After midnight they apparently don't answer the door and let you in the main door (I didn't test this rule).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo